Is DHT a hormone that is required in the process of producing sperm? Or it is just an extra booster to increase sperm counts?

SaveTheMane

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is DHT a required hormone like Testosterone in the process of producing sperm, or it is just an additional hormone that can increase your sexual traits, sex drive, and makes you more fertile? For those finasteride users that got ED and zero sperm count, is it because they lack of dht, or itis because of the rise of estrogen level in the body that kills their male reproduction ability so estrogen is the real cause of ED and low sperm count, not because you need dht? Testosterone is the hormone that determines 70% of your sexual ability and fertility, less dht leads to more testosterone now get converted to estrogen, causes the estrogen level to rise, eventually suppresses testosterone? In that case, does it mean that even if your body has zero dht left, as long as you still have normal Testosterone and a low estrogen level, you won't lose your sex drive totally or go completely infertile with no sperm count? DHT is not always necessary in reproduction if your body has enough testosterone to power it?

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes it is absolutely necessary. 5AR deficiency men (so very low dht men) are infertile.

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say that in the physiological level it is requied but If someone dont have dht and have a lot of testosterone it should do it's job.

SaveTheMane

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say that in the physiological level it is requied but If someone dont have dht and have a lot of testosterone it should do it's job.
I see, the other comment sounds like testosterone by itself can't even make a sperm without dht's participation in the process...