Is Balding Pattern Usually Determined My Genetics?

LeeVanCleef

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know whether you get male pattern baldness or is dependent on genes, but how about the overall balding pattern? Do you normally follow a similar balding pattern to fellow male pattern baldness relatives? Or is it just random where your DHT sensitive follicles are?

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's random. My father started thinning until he was in his mid thirties, same goes for the males in my mother's side.

I started thinning at 14.

joeblack2017

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, take a look at your old relatives who are men if they are balding. Know the history of your family. My father side has no balding whatsoever. My grandpa died like 91 years old and still has a full thick hair. It's my mother side of genes that f****d me up, for all my uncles in my mother side are all balding and are diffuse thinners. 90% of my elder cousins from mother side ages 35-50 are totally bald now

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's genetic. Identical twins end up having the same pattern.

LeeVanCleef

My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems that the balding men in my family (two maternal uncles) bald in a similar way. On is NW3, one is NW3.5 both with vertex thinning. This also seems to follow their maternal grandfather who I never met, but in old age still retained central forelock. Currently my balding pattern looks somewhere between both uncles.

I'm hoping that I'll at least follow the familial pattern and still keep some sort of hair in the middle, but yesterday I found a pic of my great, great grandfather (maternal side) who has the nw7 pattern (although only pic is him as an old man) so now I'm not sure where I'll end up.

Last edited: