Is Avodart .5m every third day useless?

brandnew88

Established Member
Reaction score
i dont know what to tell you.. maybe lower finasteride dosage for a bit and try adding more dutasteride?

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
5 days from last dutasteride pill and feel better but still have the pain but it is going away, luckily. Very irritating shooting pain, hope did not damage anything. I plan to wait out and not take this saturdays dutasteride but still keep daily finasteride and next week get back on the saturday dutasteride. Hope all goes ok.

I need to try out the 1 per week dutasteride anyways for a year and see if it works. I got anxious and added 1 more per week to 2 but long term I really only want a small bump to finasteride, which is 1 per week. dutasteride is strong stuff for sure!! My pain confirms it!

brandnew88

Established Member
Reaction score
it is weird how it affects people differently. finasteride gave me terrible sides immediately. dutasteride has not really given me any sides beside a slight nipple ache that went away after a couple days and maybe slightly lower libido. again i am only on it 3 days a week and no other antiandrogen.

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm good today...must be out of my system. Had no issue when I was taking 1 dutasteride per week. The pain was like a needles up you penis and then someone kicking you in the balls and groin/internal Vas Deferens gland. 4 days of that agony all day. Real nice---dont want to try that and have that feeling ever again. The testicles must have went into huge overdrive in T production.

I guess its good to know 1 dutasteride per week with daily finasteride is probably good enough to affect changes (DHT) in my body.

brandnew88

Established Member
Reaction score
haha... just stick out once a week and see where you go. i wish i could buy dutasteride in .01 mg that way i could try it daily

Justwandering

Reaction score
I'm good today...must be out of my system. Had no issue when I was taking 1 dutasteride per week. The pain was like a needles up you penis and then someone kicking you in the balls and groin/internal Vas Deferens gland. 4 days of that agony all day. Real nice---dont want to try that and have that feeling ever again. The testicles must have went into huge overdrive in T production.

I guess its good to know 1 dutasteride per week with daily finasteride is probably good enough to affect changes (DHT) in my body.
You mentioned that you have been on finasteride for 12-13 years along with minoxidil. I've been using finasteride, 1.25/day on and off for almost 3 years. I had some like 6-9 stretches where I wasn't take it. Most recently, I'm on about a year straight. I have been thinking of adding minoxidil to my regimen.

How has your hair held up over the time span that you've been using both?

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You mentioned that you have been on finasteride for 12-13 years along with minoxidil. I've been using finasteride, 1.25/day on and off for almost 3 years. I had some like 6-9 stretches where I wasn't take it. Most recently, I'm on about a year straight. I have been thinking of adding minoxidil to my regimen.

How has your hair held up over the time span that you've been using both?

Holding up but losing battle of heavy diffuse thinning all over. Hope I can get back on 1 dutasteride per week this weekend. Strong med!

brandnew88

Established Member
Reaction score
8 weeks in and im experiencing low libido and soft erections. nothing like when i tried propecia though. i am shedding more now. I'm still on .5 every third day. will my erections come back?

hairdead

Reaction score
don't overdose dutasteride, i got a big diffuse shedding..
one dutasteride 0.5mg every 4th day is proven to lead also to a steady bloodlevel & is enough. maybe add some dutasteride to a topical mix

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm off dutasteride for some time (or forever). Tried another dose 3 weeks later from stopping and got the same real bad pain reaction (real bad again in balls and groin stomach area). Can't take it anymore. Either my body is completely saturated now and any addtional dose puts me over the edge or something else. All was going so well with dutasteride once a week with finasteride. Well got 23 total tabs into me now so will see if any regrowth will occur in the future with its long half life. Still continuing the finasteride daily. I plan on addting a few DUTs to minoxidil to use what I have. Maybe back on in a few months. Scared to take another tab.

I wonder if dutasteride is actually doing anything anyways....over 20 tabs and really no regrowth anyewhere on really thin all over scalp (80% gone) and frontal getting slowly worse so I wonder if should continue anymore and have all this crap in my body.

5 months should be enough to determine if successful?

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 17 weeks taking 1 dutasteride per week with daily finasteride. So far no noticeable sides or regrowth (maybe some shed bit may be normal loss). This is after 12 years on finasteride and minoxidil.

I will tell you one interesting experience: I added finasteride to my minoxidil regimen in late June 2012. After mere 6 weeks, I experienced an explosive regrowth. Well, it was mostly vellus hairs, barely pigmented, but I have never experienced something like this during 16 years of my successful maintenance. Unfortunately, after several weeks, the regrowth stopped, and since October I have started to lose hair in my temples. It was a perplexing situation, and those 5 months since October have been an ordeal for me. Now it seems that the loss stopped, but my left temple is still in a worse state than at the beginning, which is very frustrating. The skin is apparently in a different condition than in summer, with no signs of regrowth. I repeatedly measured my DHT and it was 25-32 ng/dl, which is almost hilarious, especially at my low testosterone (450 ng/dl at best). Like if I were taking sugar pills.

Now, when I analyzed this mindboggling process, I realized that I had been taking SARMs (Ostarine and S4) during July and August. My testosterone was suppresed to 50 ng/dl and DHT must have been very low as well. Considering that SARMs are very mildly androgenic and they are actually patented as a potential treatment for hair loss (!), they must have created a very favourable conditions for finasteride to work. (I took SARMs even before, but I have never observed any signs of regrowth.) After I stopped taking SARMs, the true (very poor) effect of finasteride manifested, and I lost most of the regrown hair very quickly. I still don't know, if the shedding in my temples is only temporary, or if the quitting of SARMs caused some adverse reaction in me and my hairloss suddenly progressed after 16 years of 100% stabilization. The latter possibilty seems quite absurd to me. (But we all know those mysterious legends about "finasteride destroying hair")

However, the point of this story is that I know that there is a certain threshold, beyond which I will experience an explosive regrowth of hair. I can't achieve it with finasteride, that's practically certain now. It is very, very weak for me. And I won't take SARMs again, because the autumn shed scared me so much that I won't touch any anabolic drug anymore. Therefore, I decided to add Avodart, one pill every 4 days. I let my DHT levels measured and I should get the results this week. I will gradually increase the Avodart dosage, until I experience some positive effect. After 5 1/2 weeks, there is still nothing to report.

My advice for you is to measure your DHT levels and to increase your dutasteride dosage as well. I think that if the stuff works well, you should see it within 2 months (when combined with minoxidil). If it doesn't work, you must simply increase the dosage. Remember that you should get your DHT below 20 ng/dl to be in the "safe" area (early pubertal level). 10 ng/dl is a prepubertal level. 45-50 ng/dl is the average of adult men (with an usual range 30-85 ng/dl).

brandnew88

Established Member
Reaction score
thank you. how much does the test to measure dht levels cost? i am sure my insurance will not cover it. I have yet to see a decrease in shedding or any regrowth. friday will be my 10 week mark.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I don't live in USA. It is not cheap, but it shouldn't ruin your vallet.

I got my blood test, by the way, and the results are shocking: DHT 26 ng/dl at total testosterone 321 ng/dl. I don't know, if I am genetic mutant resistant to 5-AR inhibitors or if I didn't give dutasteride enough time to work. In any case, I am increasing my dutasteride dosage to 3 pills a week.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like I'm off dutasteride for some time (or forever). Tried another dose 3 weeks later from stopping and got the same real bad pain reaction (real bad again in balls and groin stomach area). Can't take it anymore. Either my body is completely saturated now and any addtional dose puts me over the edge or something else. All was going so well with dutasteride once a week with finasteride. Well got 23 total tabs into me now so will see if any regrowth will occur in the future with its long half life. Still continuing the finasteride daily. I plan on addting a few DUTs to minoxidil to use what I have. Maybe back on in a few months. Scared to take another tab.

I wonder if dutasteride is actually doing anything anyways....over 20 tabs and really no regrowth anyewhere on really thin all over scalp (80% gone) and frontal getting slowly worse so I wonder if should continue anymore and have all this crap in my body.

5 months should be enough to determine if successful?

If I lost 80% of my hair, I would jump on 2.5 mg dutasteride/day with minoxidil.

brandnew88

Established Member
Reaction score
starting today i am going to increase/change my regimen slightly. Instead of every 3rd day i am just going to take dutasteride Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Easier to remember and a slight increase. Is that a good idea?

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
starting today i am going to increase/change my regimen slightly. Instead of every 3rd day i am just going to take dutasteride Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Easier to remember and a slight increase. Is that a good idea?

Oh sure----the half life is significant enough no big deal at all.

I'm going for the topical route now with my surplus dutasteride going with 4 dutasteride into full bottle minoxidil. Don't care if care if goes slightly systemic. Ok so far after a few days no sides.

brandnew88

Established Member
Reaction score
R u breaking open the capsules? I'm only concerned about side effects otherwise I would be taking it daily. finasteride gave me terrible so I was scared when starting dutasteride.

brandnew88

Established Member
Reaction score
so my second week of MWF instead of every third day. Definitely losing more hair. I may have to shave it. Tomorrow is my 3 month mark with dutasteride. Any encouraging words would be appreciated.