is Arrested Development the first show to talk about hair loss?

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm watching season 3 of Arrested Development (yeah, I'm a fuckin' yuppie, guilty as charged=), and I think this show is the first to make fun of, or even talk about, hair loss. Season 3 has comedian David Cross getting "plugs" to look more like one of the other actors, who is also losing his hair, but with a receding hairline.

Just curious if anybody has seen any other shows comment on hair loss. I don't think I have. I think it's a good thing, to erase the social stigma.?

G

there really is no social stigma for male baldness i don't think. is there a social stigma for obesity? many people suffer from one or the other or both.

bubka

Reaction score
Curb Your Enthusiasm does quite a bit... its pretty good, the bold sex predator was funny, bald chief too

barnabas

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you forgotten about Seinfeld? They only mentioned George's baldness like, every episode. I remember a good one where he got a toupee, and everyone hated it, but he scored some hot chick with it. Then she revealed that she was actually bald and wearing a wig, so he felt comfortable enough to remove his toupee, upon which she dumped him. I also remember one where George was telling some woman that didn't speak english that he wanted to dip his bald head in oil and rub it all over her body. Later in the episode everyone walks in on her oiling up his head. :(

Speaking of AD, I find it interesting how the character portrayed as the stupid lady's man has a pretty major receding hairline (Gob). Sure he's a ridiculous moron, but he gets plenty of hot chicks. ;D

s.a.f

Reaction score
JayMan said:
there really is no social stigma for male baldness i don't think. is there a social stigma for obesity? many people suffer from one or the other or both.

Unless you're being ironic,
What planet do you live on? Both of these conditions cause social anxiety and embarrasment for millions of people. Why the hell are we on this forum? Because we dont like our heads getting cold in the winter?

ceee

Established Member
Reaction score
I like when LD tries to convince the cop that the phrase "bald a**h**" is a hate crime.

Phillip

Established Member
Reaction score
barnabas said:
Have you forgotten about Seinfeld? They only mentioned George's baldness like, every episode. I remember a good one where he got a toupee, and everyone hated it, but he scored some hot chick with it. Then she revealed that she was actually bald and wearing a wig, so he felt comfortable enough to remove his toupee, upon which she dumped him. I also remember one where George was telling some woman that didn't speak english that he wanted to dip his bald head in oil and rub it all over her body. Later in the episode everyone walks in on her oiling up his head. :(

Speaking of AD, I find it interesting how the character portrayed as the stupid lady's man has a pretty major receding hairline (Gob). Sure he's a ridiculous moron, but he gets plenty of hot chicks. ;D

Lol, gotta love seinfeld. I remember those episodes and who can forget the chinese scam that will cure hair loss. He has the chinese delivery guy order it for him. hahha. I think it ended up smelling horrible or something? It was a foam you had to leave on your hair.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Phillip said:
Lol, gotta love seinfeld. I remember those episodes and who can forget the chinese scam that will cure hair loss. He has the chinese delivery guy order it for him. hahha. I think it ended up smelling horrible or something? It was a foam you had to leave on your hair.

I expect some of the guys on this site are out there now looking for it! :roll:

barnabas

Established Member
Reaction score
I also remember some episode where a guy who was dating Elaine realized he was starting to go bald, and then George did an examination and talked to him about it, and said he had about a year and a half tops before he was bald. SO, the guy tried to make Elaine marry him immediately.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
barnabas said:
I also remember some episode where a guy who was dating Elaine realized he was starting to go bald, and then George did an examination and talked to him about it, and said he had about a year and a half tops before he was bald. SO, the guy tried to make Elaine marry him immediately.

Ha! is that the one where Elaine was dating a guy who shaved his head for like 10 years just because he liked the way it looked, was talked into growing it out and when he did he freaked out because it was growing out thin...because of male pattern baldness?? Even though he had been shaving it for so long haha

And I remember Kraemer busting out the video camera on george in that one episode where he ordered the chinese foam. HOLY sh*t!! that was funny as hell! "Lets go to the video!" classic

scientist

Reaction score
kinda ironic that seinfeld, curb your enthusiasm, and arrested development are arguably the 3 smartest and funniest shows ever :)

s

jeffsss

Reaction score
any show that has a man with hair loss mentions it..

that 70's show
seinfeld
married with children
simpsons
etc...

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
i thought i had seen all the seinfeld episodes. but i dont remember this chinese hair loss foam one.

sm1234

Reaction score
Hehe.. I know my favourite show Entourage which I watch religiously speaks of baldness regularly. One of the characters "johnny drama" is thinning, and the rest of the boys constantly take the piss out of him.

However, sometimes I get the feeling they are getting paid to mention the drugs.. the first time I heard it, the boys were in the car outside a club, and Johnny looks in the mirror and says, "I'm lookin good, Rogaine baby!", and the second time, another character Turtle is driving around madly looking for someone he needs to give him money and he is having a really bad day, and he turns to Johnny and says "if things don't lighten up for me today, I'm guna commit suicide by popping all of your Propecia pills" ha ha ha. that one made me laugh.

Anyway, and in response to someone else's comments before.. I think obesity shows a pure disrespect for your body (in most cases, sometimes it is chronic and unavoidable), whereas baldness is not a lifestyle choice, and the treatment options for it are far from foolproof, or 100% successful for everyone.

G

s.a.f said:
JayMan said:

What planet do you live on? Both of these conditions cause social anxiety and embarrasment for millions of people. Why the hell are we on this forum? Because we dont like our heads getting cold in the winter?

I don't doubt that we suffer social anxiety and embarrassment because of the condition, obviously varying with degree of hair loss. But stigma is a very strong word. Do you really think people in life try to shame and discredit balding people? Maybe 40% of American men have male pattern baldness.

scientist

Reaction score
sm1234 said:
Hehe.. I know my favourite show Entourage which I watch religiously speaks of baldness regularly. One of the characters "johnny drama" is thinning, and the rest of the boys constantly take the piss out of him.

However, sometimes I get the feeling they are getting paid to mention the drugs.. the first time I heard it, the boys were in the car outside a club, and Johnny looks in the mirror and says, "I'm lookin good, Rogaine baby!", and the second time, another character Turtle is driving around madly looking for someone he needs to give him money and he is having a really bad day, and he turns to Johnny and says "if things don't lighten up for me today, I'm guna commit suicide by popping all of your Propecia pills" ha ha ha. that one made me laugh.

Anyway, and in response to someone else's comments before.. I think obesity shows a pure disrespect for your body (in most cases, sometimes it is chronic and unavoidable), whereas baldness is not a lifestyle choice, and the treatment options for it are far from foolproof, or 100% successful for everyone.

ari gold interviewed for the part of george costanza in "the pilot" episode of seinfeld created by larry david who im sure knows kevin bacon or at least has seen him around

i can't tell if jeremy pivens wears a piece on entourage, even when they went on the rollercoaster

s

dirtrider67

Established Member
Reaction score
do you really think george would score with all those hot chics he got on seinfeld in the real world? this should be a poll question.

AL BUNDY had a pretty hot wife not to mention kelly bundy? so so hot!

barnabas

Established Member
Reaction score
dirtrider67 said:
do you really think george would score with all those hot chics he got on seinfeld in the real world? this should be a poll question.

AL BUNDY had a pretty hot wife not to mention kelly bundy? so so hot!

What hot chicks? Most of his girlfriends are entirely normal looking and believable, besides in the "bizarro george" episode where he does the opposite of everything he would normally do.

s.a.f

Reaction score
JayMan said:
s.a.f said:
JayMan said:

I don't doubt that we suffer social anxiety and embarrassment because of the condition, obviously varying with degree of hair loss. But stigma is a very strong word. Do you really think people in life try to shame and discredit balding people? Maybe 40% of American men have male pattern baldness.

I stand by what I said about stigma, meaning that it is viewed negativly by society in general causing sufferers to feel bad about it. I never meant that people try to shame or discredit baldies, just that most people see it as a flaw or an unnatractive trait. I've often heard people say things like "that bald bast@rd/idiot/loser"... etc. (why emphasise that he's bald?)

PS Jeremy Piven is in the same league as Nick Cage when it comes to hair. 5yrs ago he was blatently balding he had bad temple recession and was extremly thin on top. You could plainly see that he was using concealers especialy on the crown. But recently he's got much more hair (body)and a stronger hairline. Its either a system or a good hair transplant.