Is a "V" hairline normal, or does it mean balding?

M31

Reaction score
This is basically my hairline. Weak at the temples, "V" shaped hairline.

Is this hairloss?

Attachments

• K8YVlfT.jpg
    K8YVlfT.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 56,834

TheHawk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For his age, it's not aggressive, but it is there. It's balding, but slow balding.

Cincinnati Kid

Established Member
Reaction score
It looks like a standard Norwood 2 (aka "mature hairline") with a widows peak that I, and millions of other men, would kill to have. Is it hair loss? Technically it is, but it's normal loss that happens to just about every man between the ages of about 16-29. A lot of men maintain that sort of hairline with thick hair throughout the top of the scalp for a very long time. Celebrities like Johnny Depp and Alec Baldwin have maintained their Norowood 2 hairlines, and they're all now in their 50s. Very few men maintain a juvenile, Norwood 1, hairline throughout their adult years like say Ron Perlman or David Schwimmer.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Most men get a mature hairline. Says absolutely nothing about going bald. Someone with a perfect straight hairline could start to lose his hair a few years later and be bald another couple of years later, while the man with his mature hairline could keep it till the day he dies. Also, a perfect straight hairline doesn't suit a lot of faces. Actually a perfect straight and really low hairline makes a person look rather dim.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It looks like a standard Norwood 2 (aka "mature hairline") with a widows peak that I, and millions of other men, would kill to have. Is it hair loss? Technically it is, but it's normal loss that happens to just about every man between the ages of about 16-29. A lot of men maintain that sort of hairline with thick hair throughout the top of the scalp for a very long time. Celebrities like Johnny Depp and Alec Baldwin have maintained their Norowood 2 hairlines, and they're all now in their 50s. Very few men maintain a juvenile, Norwood 1, hairline throughout their adult years like say Ron Perlman or David Schwimmer.
Honestly I think what you're saying is just not true for the most part. It sounds good to some, people who are perhaps nw2 and think what they have is just a "mature" hairline. But let's be real anyone gets to a nw2 is going to carry on receding and only a few won't. You do some pretty bad examples, like johnny depp he is 100% on propecia and actually had a hair transplant to fix his hairline. Flipping Alec Baldwin has been a Nw1 his whole life and only has experienced some recession recently. Half the guys that I'd imagine are nw2 are definetly on propecia, that's why you don't see further recession. Guys like Ron Perelman and david are in the lucky percentage the ****s. I wouldn't gather your information on celebrity's when it comes to "male pattern baldness" because they'll do something about it, they're not normal people. Lots of money lol.
Sorry to go on about it, it just frustrates me slightly.

Cincinnati Kid

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly I think what you're saying is just not true for the most part. It sounds good to some, people who are perhaps nw2 and think what they have is just a "mature" hairline. But let's be real anyone gets to a nw2 is going to carry on receding and only a few won't. You do some pretty bad examples, like johnny depp he is 100% on propecia and actually had a hair transplant to fix his hairline. Flipping Alec Baldwin has been a Nw1 his whole life and only has experienced some recession recently. Half the guys that I'd imagine are nw2 are definetly on propecia, that's why you don't see further recession. Guys like Ron Perelman and david are in the lucky percentage the ****s. I wouldn't gather your information on celebrity's when it comes to "male pattern baldness" because they'll do something about it, they're not normal people. Lots of money lol.
Sorry to go on about it, it just frustrates me slightly.
Depending on family history, not all men that go from Norwood 1 to 2 will recede further than that. So while technically Norwood 2 is hair loss, it's not a definitive indicator of whether or not you'll become even more bald as you age. Does it make it more likely? Probably, but it's still not a certainty. I know celebrities are bad examples to use as indicators of hair loss because they can easily get propecia/hair transplants because they have so much money, but it's not like I can name for everyone my mate from college or the bloke that lives down the street from me as examples of a Norwood 2 hairline haha. And yes, men that maintain a Norwood 1 hairline throughout their entire life are a bunch of filthy c*nts. That I think we can all agree on.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
Depending on family history, not all men that go from Norwood 1 to 2 will recede further than that. So while technically Norwood 2 is hair loss, it's not a definitive indicator of whether or not you'll become even more bald as you age. Does it make it more likely? Probably, but it's still not a certainty. I know celebrities are bad examples to use as indicators of hair loss because they can easily get propecia/hair transplants because they have so much money, but it's not like I can name for everyone my mate from college or the bloke that lives down the street from me as examples of a Norwood 2 hairline haha. And yes, men that maintain a Norwood 1 hairline throughout their entire life are a bunch of filthy c*nts. That I think we can all agree on.

I don't think advancing to a NW2 makes it more likely you'll go bald. Look at it this way: even the really old people with a fantastic head of hair rarely have a NW0/1 hairline. A mature hairline is just a natural hairline. Women too have often a slightly V-shaped hairline. Does this mean they are going bald? Not at all. So a NW2 could be the beginning of MBP or it could just be the more natural hairline you get when you grow up. Sometimes there's really no way to tell, you just have to give it a few years.

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You can NEVER be born and die with the same amount of hair on your head.Unless you die straight at birth.