Is a hair system a viable option for me?

Loglog7

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am losing my hair abnormally fast at, almost 23. I am not a very organized person, I’m very ADHD, I don’t know if I will be able to handle the responsibility to make sure my system passes all the time. I really just want to go outside without a hat on. I’ve had a hat on for almost 6 months now even when I’m just around my house and my family. I honestly just hate how I look in the mirror, it’s even worse lately because I have been growing it out in hopes of getting possibly getting a system soon, my question is, are hair systems really a viable solution? I’ve heard these are good for movie sets and special occasions, but everyday is just impossible. So how would you rate the difficulty and do you think people on the internet overestimate the maintenance or underestimate it? Thanks for replies :)

Noah

Reaction score
They absolutely are a viable everyday solution. There are millions of guys around the world wearing systems with no drama. If you want to minimise the effort involved I would suggest (1) go for a thinskin base; (2) choose a style where you are not showing your hairline most of the time; (3) pick an undercut style, so that you don't have to worry about blending; and (4) if you can afford it get 2 identical systems which you can swap over at maintenance time, so that you can do the cleaning whenever you get a spare few minutes. If you go for these choices you will have a pretty easy life with your system.

Logann

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am losing my hair abnormally fast at, almost 23. I am not a very organized person, I’m very ADHD, I don’t know if I will be able to handle the responsibility to make sure my system passes all the time. I really just want to go outside without a hat on. I’ve had a hat on for almost 6 months now even when I’m just around my house and my family. I honestly just hate how I look in the mirror, it’s even worse lately because I have been growing it out in hopes of getting possibly getting a system soon, my question is, are hair systems really a viable solution? I’ve heard these are good for movie sets and special occasions, but everyday is just impossible. So how would you rate the difficulty and do you think people on the internet overestimate the maintenance or underestimate it? Thanks for replies :)
I agree with Noah, they are absolutely a viable everyday solution. I can actually relate very well because I started wearing 2 years ago when I was around 23. It was one of the best decisions I have made and has helped my confidence tremendously. I also agree with what Noah mentioned as far as if you want to minimize effort, wear the hair not showing the hairline (most people's worry is due to being self-conscious about the hairline if they wear an exposed hairline). There is a learning curve with learning how to do maintenance and placing the system back on. But once you have it down, it's actually really easy to wear one.

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started wearing at 28, three years ago. It’s been hugely life changing for the better.

You can/you really ought to learn how to self maintain and care for the system well - that provides you with a lifestyle in which the hair system doesn’t require a lot of time or effort relatively speaking.
That’s a learning curve though and can feel daunting at times.

Advice I would’ve greatest benefited from at the beginning would’ve been:

just go for it - the worst that can happen is that it doesn’t work out and you come out of it unscathed and you know you tried.

Be brave - sometimes things seem a bit scary (like when you first reattach) but millions of people do it all the time and e Internet has you completely covered for tutorials and advice.

it’s worth spending more at the beginning - get a good quality system, pay a salon to cut it in, maybe even to do your first few reattachments. Have a list of questions for the hairdresser every time you visit and ask away - they should tell you everything you want to know. With that knowledge you can begin to self maintain and save a lot of money by doing just as good a job yourself.
It really is worth learning it all properly though.

it turns out people don’t really care if you wear a hair system. In fact, a lot of people just see a guy with a full head of hair and find that it looks nice or even attractive - those thoughts often come in front of the fact that you’re wearing a hair system. We very much live in a material world where looks and appearance matter probably way more than they should - that’s the reality and it also works enormously in our favour as wearers.

Some thoughts for you there. Best of luck!

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes - extremely viable.

And I agree w/ @George Hen - ppl don't care if you have one or not. It's just so much better looking than being bald, in most cases.

Noah

Reaction score
@George Hen @Logann @Noah Where are you guys all getting your hair systems these days? There seems to be an crazy shortage all over from most companies!

With working mostly from home, I have been able to recondition and re-use old units that I had previously retired. Having been wearing for a number of years, I have a bagful of those. I had just received a pair of new pieces when the problem started, but I am keeping those pristine so that I have good hair to wear when work at the office re-starts.

That said, I am getting fairly frequent spam from hair system suppliers claiming to have stock, so it seems like there are stock pieces to be had if you shop around.