Is 5AR type 2 produced inside the hair follicle?

docj077

Reaction score
Bryan said:
5) Dr. Proctor has said numerous times on alt.baldspot that endocrinologists have traditionally been taught that DHT only has an effect where it's actually produced (which is to say, it again doesn't have much of a role as an endocrine hormone).

Bryan

Believe it or not, this is something that every medical student is supposed to learn during the endocrine portion of medical physiology.

abcdefg

Reaction score
How do people know how much hairloss they have by counting hairs they find in the shower? Everyones hair cycles and falls out and grows back. How does counting the number of hairs tell you anything? Even if it increases what does that really mean?

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How do people know how much hairloss they have by counting hairs they find in the shower? Everyones hair cycles and falls out and grows back. How does counting the number of hairs tell you anything? Even if it increases what does that really mean?

When did you first start to notice you were losing your hair? What were some of the signs that you were losing your hair?

For most people, they start to notice considerably more hair coming out when they wash their hair. This is what happened to me. When I washed my hair my hands were full of hair, which never used to happen in all of my life. And this continued to happen with each shampoo until i got on treatments and they kicked in. Then my shedding in the shower went back to normal.

One of the ways you can tell tell if your treatments are working is if your shedding slows down or stops. Androgenetic Alopecia puts more hairs into the teleogen(resting) phase than the anagen(growing) phase.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Do scientists even know what hormones do? what are hormones made up of? How do molecular pathways and genes relate to hormones? What makes hormone levels rise or fall? When I ponder male pattern baldness it makes me head hurt in 1 minute because I think of soo many questions and science just falls so short of what you want to know.

docj077

Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Do scientists even know what hormones do? what are hormones made up of? How do molecular pathways and genes relate to hormones? What makes hormone levels rise or fall? When I ponder male pattern baldness it makes me head hurt in 1 minute because I think of soo many questions and science just falls so short of what you want to know.

Yes. Scientists know the answers to all your questions.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Hmm really? I guess the answer is I just dont know the answer to any of those questions. It just seems like there is alot of mystery surrounding the workings of finasteride. It doesnt seem like merk knows exactly why it works. We all know the basics but how in depth do they really understand all this?

badasshairday III

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
abcdefg said:

Yes. Scientists know the answers to all your questions.

Yea just pick up a basic biochemistry or physiology textbook. You will get all ove your answers.

abcdefg

Reaction score
See though they always generalize things in books like that. Heres an example lets say you wonder what testosterone does. You pick up the book and its says something stupid like testosterone is responsible for giving men sexual characteristics at puberty or something stupid. Wow thats an amazing amount of detail. I want the differential equations or chemical reactions or whatever the hell they did to come up with or test this. Why cant they publish the exact details of what they did. Most of this stuff is in some 20 year old reference book anyways. Ill just leave it at me not having much faith at science when its applied to living creatures. Maybe its just me not having enough knowledge on the subject.