Iraq War 7 Year Anniversary

HughJass

Reaction score
$747.3 billion and counting for you Americans. Ouch!

Only cost us Aussies 3 billion, plus a couple of dead and maimed soldiers but I think we've managed to stash them somewhere so nobody will be bothered by them.

Altogther now-

Mission Accomplished!

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
It has made the world a safer place: see, no more terrorism, no more nuclear escalation, no poverty, no money...

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yep I'm sure that it has prevented loads of Islamics from becoming terrorists, and saved us from those WMD's money well spent I'd say!! :whistle:

Cassin

Reaction score
Weak troll attemp Aussie... We get it... You don't like america... You constantly point out the negatives. Nobody in this country is proud of the war and we all wish it had never happened.

Nene

Reaction score
I don't think he hates America just because he's pointing out where we screwed up. He's admitting Australia screwed up as well.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
If I'm wrong then screw it... I have no problem admitting failure on the internets.

You're not wrong.

Aussie is a laugh, but if I was a Yank I would start to get irritated by these anti American threads. Lets be honest, the Americans are decent people, imagine if China or Russia were in your position.

Mind you, if America backs Argentina over the Falkland Islands I will be pissed. :woot:

HughJass

Reaction score
Don't understand why people thought this was an anti-American thread :dunno:

looks like some of ya'll forgot that the destruction of Iraq was a team effort

not that I care if you thin skinned Americanos get a thistle in your collective vag about anything I write :laugh:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a little puzzled by the general tone of this thread. I don't see the Iraq war as a totally negative thing, even though the cost has been extremely high. Hindsight is always 20/20, of course, and we didn't find out about the lack of WMDs until we actually invaded, and saw for ourselves.

Cassin

Reaction score
The Iraqi people were better off before we got involved. We can see fir ourselves that they need harsh rulership. Western mindset does not mix with them fir the most part.

Nene

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I'm a little puzzled by the general tone of this thread. I don't see the Iraq war as a totally negative thing, even though the cost has been extremely high. Hindsight is always 20/20, of course, and we didn't find out about the lack of WMDs until we actually invaded, and saw for ourselves.

Our debt is through the roof, thousands of dead Americans, millions of dead Iraqis. I'm not seeing how this isn't totally negative. 700 billion??? We could've paid for everyone's healthcare and wouldn't be having this problem right now. Oh, Halliburton made a ton of money, I guess thats the silver lining. :whistle: Also, we did know there weren't weapons of mass destruction. The Bush administration used false intelligence, rhetoric and propaganda to pull the wool over the American people's eyes. I trusted the UN to decide if Iraq was working on dangerous weapons and according to them, they weren't. The international community knew it was a bunch of BS. Besides, lots of hostile nations have or are suspected of having WMDs and you don't see us invading all of them do you?

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:

I agree. I'm with Bryan on this one.

North Korea is a perfect example. We just 'left it be' with the communist Russian and while NATO managed South Korea. Now look. We are dealing with a Nuclear rogue state.

North Korea will cost the world billions just monitoring it and having ships and aircraft on standby 'just in case'. Who knows the future death tolls is might cause.

700 Billion sounds a lot, but the American military budget is hundreds of billions each year anyway.

Even if Iraq is worse off now there is still some way to go before they get better, but they are heading in the right direction. America had loads of sh*t when it was starting off (Civil wars), so did Britain, Europe etc...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
The Iraqi people were better off before we got involved. We can see fir ourselves that they need harsh rulership. Western mindset does not mix with them fir the most part.

I have to admit that there _is_ something to be said for that point of view. Any group of people who are perfectly willing to drill holes in each others' skulls with a power-drill over religious differences would appear to need to be ruled with an iron fist, which Saddam Hussein was obviously willing to do...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Nene said:
Our debt is through the roof, thousands of dead Americans, millions of dead Iraqis. I'm not seeing how this isn't totally negative. 700 billion??? We could've paid for everyone's healthcare and wouldn't be having this problem right now. Oh, Halliburton made a ton of money, I guess thats the silver lining. :whistle:

Have you considered the possibility that we've also helped establish another fledgling democracy in the Middle East, which could have profound implications for that region in the future?

Nene said:
Also, we did know there weren't weapons of mass destruction. The Bush administration used false intelligence, rhetoric and propaganda to pull the wool over the American people's eyes.

The Bush administration really did believe that there were WMDs in Iraq. I'm not saying that they always used good judgement to promote that idea, or were beyond using rather questionable evidence; but they _did_ believe it.

Nene said:
I trusted the UN to decide if Iraq was working on dangerous weapons and according to them, they weren't. The international community knew it was a bunch of BS.

Huh? Where did you get THAT idea? :) There were other foreign intelligence services which believed it, too, like the Russians and Germans (if I remember correctly).

Nene said:
Besides, lots of hostile nations have or are suspected of having WMDs and you don't see us invading all of them do you?

No, of course not. We obviously have to choose our battles carefully, we can't just take on the entire rest of the world (we can't invade North Korea, for example). But our military experts _did_ think we could stage a successful invasion of Iraq, which is why they did it.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
It's interesting how people forget that Saddam Hussein was in power before we invaded. It's also interesting how most people believe that he didn't have WMD's simply because we didn't find them. There were several UN resolutions over a 12 year time period. Do you guys think he had enough time to find a safe place for them (probably outside of Iraq)? Not to mention, he has used chemical weapons before in an effort to exterminate the Kurdish population of Iraq. If he had WMDs in 1987, why wouldn't he have them now? Do you think the rogue dictator came to his senses and decided to disarm himself?

HughJass

Reaction score
finfighter said:
:agree: Saddam Hussein was removed from power and executed, this man was responsible for many crimes against humanity, he killed hosts of innocent civilians and his removal from power was a justified act by our government.

the 'LOL HE WAS A BAD MAN' defence is sooooooooooo 2004

''‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing’'

more like - "all that is necessary for the opening of markets to western oil corporations is for scheming war criminals to rally an ignorant voter base"