Investigation of family history on male pattern baldness - HELP needed

bjorn_federsson

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm 24 years old and a student at Stockholm's University of Medicine, course genetics.
At the moment, I've chosen theme for my 2nd seminar work as "Influence of family history
on male pattern baldness and probability to lose hair due to genes". Me personaly is also suffering from
hairloss, currently I am an advanced Norwood 3V, with fast progression.

I would like help from all of you here, fellow sufferers, to assist me with my research.

-> All you should do would be to answer a couple of questions below and to post
the answers here, or in my private message box at hairlosshelp.com. <-

I would announce the results of this poll/research with my additional explanations here,
in Open Topic group, after let's say one month, or after nobody sends his results anymore.

Thank you all in advance, here are the questions:

1) Your rate of baldness according to Norwood or Hamilton scale. How old are you, for
how long have you been suffering and at which tempo (progression speed)?

2) If you have brother(s), write their history of (non)hairloss here.

3) Your father's info - (Norwood degree, for how long, at which tempo...)

4) Your paternal and maternal grandparent's info (again, the same...)

5) Your mother's and father's uncle(s) info

6) If you have any additional info about previous generations, write it here.

Thank you very much for your effort, I will sort all the info I gather (plus some
previous I already got) and then I will post it here!

Axon

Reaction score
1. Balding since 19, about to turn 25, Norwood 1.5 with vertex thinning.

2. No siblings.

3. Father - began to bald at 18, Norwood 7 by 21. He's a funny case, he was born with all sorts of defects (Cerebral Palsy amongst them) and he received testosterone injections as a kid. That may have played a role. His brother, my uncle, did go Norwood 6 as well, however, simply a little later.

Grandfather bald around his 30s.

That's all I got, don't know my mother's side.

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
1/ defuse i would guess close to a nw4,31 losing hair since 23,fast loss for the first year then very slow

2/ brother, moderate defuse hairloss started at 17 very slow loss,now 28
has just started 5% minoxidil and regrown most his hair

3/father nw7 started lossing hair at 17, nw7 by late 20's fast loss

4/ fathers father same as dad,mothers father started lossing hair around 40 died 70 at nw5

5/ fathers brothers 3 nw7's mostly likey started at the same age as dad, 1 brother with couse defuse defuse hair no bald spots,i think he might have had a hair transplant or maybe he just got lucky.
mothers brothers both started hair loss in late 30,s one a nw7 at 45 the other a nw3 at 43

from the way hairloss goes in my family i allway thought it came from your dad

Petchsky

Reaction score
1. 23 yo, currently a NW1.5?, started at 17, slow at first with receeding hairline, then speeded up when i hit 20/21 - more reeding of hairline and thinning patch at back developed. - started treatments at 22.

2. No brothers just 3 sisters!

3. My dad started to receed at 20/21, then steadily lost the front and crown (like i was) over the next 11 years. Unfortunately the old man snuffed it at age 46 Norwood 5

4. Mothers Dad receeded slowly in 20s and then stopped. Died in his 70s with a full head of hair that was still black. NW1.5 (lucky bastard)

My Dad's dad started to receed in his 30s through to his 50s at a slow rate. He died in his mid 70s a NW5.

5. Mother was an only child.

Dad had two brothers. First one receeded in his 30s and has almost come to a complete halt he is now mid 40s and a NW2 with grey hair.

My second and last uncle receeded at early 30s at a steady pace through to his 40s. This is when he started to always wear a hat and a peak at his scalp is a rare sight. To hazard a guess i think now in his early 50s, and still wearing a hat, he is a NW5A.

6. My Mum had a few uncles about six and i did not know some of them, but the two i do know are... firstly started balding in his early 20s fast. By the time in mid 30s was a NW7! The other started in his mid 20s at a steady pace, was a NW6 by his mid 40s.

If you require any more solid info i can look into it for you.

Regards, Petchsky

bjorn_federsson

Reaction score
If you require any more solid info i can look into it for you.

Regards, Petchsky

Hello Petchsky,

you provided me with very valuable and detailed info. If you know anything about your grandparent's parents it would be nice, but don't bother too much. The most important thing is to cover 2 generations back with all siblings/uncles etc.

Thank you all responders by the way! I hope we will get more profiles soon!

Petchsky

Reaction score
Cannot say for sure on that one... sorry.