Intro and advice needed

homework

Reaction score
I"m 39, thinning on top and on the crown. Thick on the sides and the back. My hairline is OK...not receeding too much.

I'm looking for some pros/cons with topical vs. pills vs. surgery.
Price, side effects (I've heard propecia causes sexual side effects), convenience and of course, results.

Thanks in advance

hairface

Reaction score
I would try propecia to maintain what you have, if you have to go on a date, sometime Toppik is a good thing to give you high volume in thin area.

What do you shampoo with?

Rawbbie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, welcome aboard.

Yeah, Propecia is the way to go for starters- I wouldn't worry about any side effects, since they occur only in a very, very low percentage of men- less than 2% - and whatever effects they are, they are mild and will subside. So you should be okay, don't let that worry get in your way of saving your hair!!

Then later on down the line you could add minoxidil and Nizoral if you choose to, or you could even hit all 3 right from the get-go. But for financial reasons and hassle reasons, go with Propecia for the first while and measure how well you're doing over the first year.

homework

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the side effects. I guess if worse comes to worse, I could always use v**** to offset any sexual side effects. I'm sure my girlfriend wouldn't mind that either.

I've heard that with Propecia, there is a period of time in the beginning of the treatment, in which I can expect to actually lose hair...I think that would freak me out...Is this common?

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

Yes, I strongly strongly recommend propecia. I think getting the brand name propecia, vs. proscar and splitting it in 4ths, might help you be more "relaxed" about it. Though if you want to save money, get the 5mg finasteride proscar tablets, and split them with a razor blade (a strong one, not a flexible super thin one).

Also, L-arginine can help offset sexual side effects as well.

May have to try briefs instead of boxers if you experience any pain in your testicles. I did- it was sporadic, and went away after a while.

Sexual sides hit me into week 3 or so, and lasted 4 days. Nothing serious. I just lost my libido, and couldn't get it up like usual.

Good luck!