International Investigative Dermatology (iid) 2018 Meeting Abstracts

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shiseido will sh*t on follica. Maybe I'm wrong but calling it now.

Maybe.
But if the first trial results of Follica’s compound are due in 2025, then not only Replicel, but also Tsuji might well be out before Follica’s Phase 3 trials.

itsAlright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don’t know what you’re insinuating mate but don’t think @Noisette’s post was relating the Follica’s trial. Similar type of treatment but that’s a trial being done by the John Hopkins university.
You're right Follica is entering their final clinical trial this year.. this is not that same trial.

From the term gentle they use in the title I gather this trial is to see if they can tone down the wounding and get the same results. Maybe Follica's form of wounding leaves you bloody and they are already working to fine tune the process.

If this is the case does this confirm Retinoic Acid is a key player in Follica's drug compound?

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don’t know what you’re insinuating mate but don’t think @Noisette’s post was relating the Follica’s trial. Similar type of treatment but that’s a trial being done by the John Hopkins university.

are you certain that follica is in a more advanced stage with their trials? If so, that’s good news.

cocona

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
878 Individual variation in balance between platelet-secreted growth factors causing contradictory effects on hair follicle could potentially impact response to PRP therapy in patients with scalp hair loss
J. Mohammed, M. Abedin, R. Farah, A. Wipf, M. Hordinsky

Platelets contain α-granules that are reservoirs of critical growth factors (GFs) regulating cellular proliferation, migration, differentiation and angiogenesis. Due to the ability of platelets to secrete GFs that play critical roles in the natural healing process, platelet-rich plasma (PRP) prepared from the blood is injected to sites of injury to deliver high concentrations of autologous GFs. Several studies published over the past few years have evaluated the effectiveness of PRP to treat hair loss disorders such as Androgenetic Alopecia. It is widely believed that GFs released from platelets upon PRP injection act on skin and hair follicle stem cells thereby promoting neovascularization and most likely, follicle differentiation. However, despite several promising results reported from clinical trials on the therapeutic potential of PRP, the response has been inconsistent and in some cases conflicting. Its likely that patient response to PRP depends on the balance between platelet-secreted GFs known to promote (PDGF-A, PDGF-B, VEGF, FGFb, EGF, IGF and HGF) versus inhibit hair follicle growth (TGFβ1). As PRP injection results in 300% to 700% enrichment of platelets secreting large quantities of GFs that can have contradictory roles in hair follicle differentiation, we analyzed platelet expression of GFs in PRP samples prepared from patient volunteers by quantitative PCR. Expression of TGFβ1 was highest followed by PDGF-A and PDGF-B while low to undetectable transcript levels were noticed for IGF and HGF. Variability in platelet expression between patients was highest for TGFβ1, PDGF-A and PDGF-B and lowest for VEGF. Consistently, we detected high TGFβ1 levels in PRP compared to other growth factors and its concentration relative to PDGF-BB in PRP varied highly between patients. Thus, balance between platelet-secreted TGFβ1 and other GFs in PRP that promote hair follicle differentiation could determine patient response to PRP therapy.

Hawt.

sktboiboi

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i say except the first study, just treat the rest as snake oil studies- they are just blanket-targeting all the growth factors in hair growth without knowing which are the 1s that are being caused to be deficient in Androgenetic Alopecia.

U cant treat Androgenetic Alopecia without knowing the exact causative mechanism(s).

Noisette

Established Member
Reaction score
Holy sh*t! Phase 1 trials will end in 2025?
That’s depressing.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

After reading the post by @Noisette in this thread, we all know that Phase 1 trial results will not be out for eight years.

Hey @razzmatazz91 :) Yes it's not from Follica but from John Hopkins university with Doctor Luis Garza who worked with Doctor Cotsarelis for many years (PGD2 discovery for example).

This study is for "Central Centrifugal Cicatricial Alopecia" = scarring Alopecia
" The plan is to first carefully map a small area of the scalp without hair follicles. Investigators will then try various modalities of gentle wounding (including fractionated Carbon Dioxide (CO2) laser, mild curetting) of the surface epithelium in the presence and absence of FDA approved topical medications (including retinoids) ". They will testing approved compounds by FDA and not approved too.

Follica has already completed its clinical-stage development of their device and the drug combination product.
For the "First generation products", Follica will begin the pivotal trial (phase 3) this year.
They are already testing the next generation compounds.

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey @razzmatazz91 :) Yes it's not from Follica but from John Hopkins university with Doctor Luis Garza who worked with Doctor Cotsarelis for many years (PGD2 discovery for example).

This study is for "Central Centrifugal Cicatricial Alopecia" = scarring Alopecia
" The plan is to first carefully map a small area of the scalp without hair follicles. Investigators will then try various modalities of gentle wounding (including fractionated Carbon Dioxide (CO2) laser, mild curetting) of the surface epithelium in the presence and absence of FDA approved topical medications (including retinoids) ". They will testing approved compounds by FDA and not approved too.

Follica has already completed its clinical-stage development of their device and the drug combination product.
For the "First generation products", Follica will begin the pivotal trial (phase 3) this year.
They are already testing the next generation compounds.
Thanks for the clarification @Noisette.
Any idea how long their trial is going to take?

Also, have they completed trials for the wounding device? And if so, is it only the compounds they are working on now?
I am under the impression that the first generation of the treatment will be use of the wounding device and minoxidil.

Also, some member here pointed out that Follica is in Phase 2 trials??

Noisette

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification @Noisette.
Any idea how long their trial is going to take?

Also, have they completed trials for the wounding device? And if so, is it only the compounds they are working on now?
I am under the impression that the first generation of the treatment will be use of the wounding device and minoxidil.

Also, some member here pointed out that Follica is in Phase 2 trials??
With pleasure :)

Follica has completed trials for their "At-Home Device" (they already have data of this Pivotal trial), the next pivotal trial is for the "In-Office device". They talked about a Drug combination product.. Maybe with minoxidil...

Recently, they have entered into an optimisation study (phase 2) , following this, they will begin the Pivotal trial of the 'In-Office Device" (phase 3).

We have learned that they are testing new coumpounds too (early phase 1).

Sorry, but have you seen their previous timeline ? we can see they have several trials in their pipeline :)

Follica.jpg

Edit: how long for the pivotal trial ? I think less than a year :) if everything is ok, I think for the next year. But I'm an eternal optimist guy :p

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
With pleasure :)

Follica has completed trials for their "At-Home Device" (they already have data of this Pivotal trial), the next pivotal trial is for the "In-Office device". They talked about a Drug combination product.. Maybe with minoxidil...

Recently, they have entered into an optimisation study (phase 2) , following this, they will begin the Pivotal trial of the 'In-Office Device" (phase 3).

We have learned that they are testing new coumpounds too (early phase 1).

Sorry, but have you seen their previous timeline ? we can see they have several trials in their pipeline :)

View attachment 86625

edit: how long for the pivotal trial ? I think less than a year :) if everything is ok, I think for the next year. But I'm an eternal optimist guy :p
Holy sh*t man. You’re Wikipedia itself!

I didn’t know they are doing tests on several products/treatments.
I’ll leave you alone for a bit and do some reading.

Javell

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I like Follica, the fact that they had European trials gives me hope that in 2020 we will have it in both in USA and Europe.
I f*****g need it in Europe, I can't afford flying to USA. Follica and Shiseido are my only hopes since soon I'll be slick f*****g bald.

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe.
But if the first trial results of Follica’s compound are due in 2025, then not only Replicel, but also Tsuji might well be out before Follica’s Phase 3 trials.
Lel!

lemoncloak

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was wrong when I said Follica’s Phase 1 trials are ending in 2025. Some nice members helped clear that doubt.

This is a separate study.
I know man, I know. Good thing is things are looking good in the future. I'm checking the Tsuji thread rn ;)