Interesting Story about Getting finasteride from my Doctor

MercMan

Reaction score
I've been on here for a few weeks now, and it seems like some of you are having a hard time getting your physician to write you a script for finasteride (or dutasteride). I was always on the fence about taking it, for the same reason that most people are.

One of my customers is a doctor, and after knowing him for awhile, we got to talking about my hair loss. He told me so matter of factly, "dude, you gotta get on Propecia--it's just Finasteride but in a much smaller dose than what I prescribe for prostate cancer." Pretty much any reason I could think of for not taking it he squashed with very objective, as well as anecdotal evidence. Including "I've been taking it myself for 15 years--it filled my temples back in, thickened up my hair, and I've never had any side effects--neither have any of my patients." I thanked him for his opinion and advice, and told him I would mull it over.

More time went by, maybe a few more weeks, maybe a month and a half, and during that time I spoke with him a few more times and he always asked me if I wanted the prescription. I still had reservations. Finally, one day he dropped in unannouced, and HANDED ME THE PRESCRIPTION complete with the three refills box checked. It was initially for Propecia, but he gladly changed it to finasteride when I realized how spendy Propecia is.

Anyway, I know some of you get frustrated with your docs, and if you are younger and have been seeing the same Doctor for many years, it could seem wrong to go to another doctor, but the reality is that they are all different, and just people with their own opinions just like you and me. If you have really made the decision to go for it, then just find a different Doctor.

Thanks,

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
you were just one of the many who likes to trust anonymous people online over studies, facts and the majority of actual doctors.

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My doctor at first was not supportive. Switch to another and he said the same and even yelled at me. My new doctor in a way taught me all about finasteride and male pattern baldness. His reasoning and my families history of birth problems made me stop finasteride until i was 23-24.
IM NOT saying finasteride is dangerous or it will make you go impotent or anything but im saying my own experience. here

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Switch to another and he said the same and even yelled at me.

Haha, did he put you over his knee and spank you too.

- - - Updated - - -

you were just one of the many who likes to trust anonymous people online over studies, facts and the majority of actual doctors.

I like zzzzz because he doesn't buy into the BS or waste time battling it out with the anti finasteride crowd like I do. Just cool, calm, collected at all times.

shreyaskini

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my doctor never had a problem writing a script for finasteride to me. He first said that biotin would be enough lol but i told him that i wanted to get on finasteride. He said ok and wrote one... Now i feel that i just wasted my money on him. Here we can get finasteride,dutasteride or anything without a need for prescription and i'm never going to see a doctor for my hairloss again. They have absolutely no knowledge about it. People on hairloss forums know a lot more and i'm happy to be a member here :)
P.S. don't waste your time on doctors.

MercMan

Reaction score
- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much. It's a little uncharacteristic of me, because I tend to research the sh!t out of almost everything, and when I heard a small murmuring of "you'll lose your dick," I pretty much wrote the whole thing off and never gave it a 2nd consideration.

I also didn't realize that some people have tremendous regrowth, and thought it would only maintain, which didn't pique my interest. Better late than never--but now I'm basically holding out for a miracle.