Intercytex update

FrankHair1

Reaction score
Just to let you they updated their website and they say they are just about to start phase II :) They seem to follow what they have planned...

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
Cool!

sam-

Established Member
Reaction score
January 28, 2006 update:

WE MAY have made some progress since Hippocrates, the father of medicine, suggested castration as a cure for baldness, but as a recent ban on misleading advertisements for hair-loss remedies reminds us, the search continues.

Now a British company, Intercytex, is to try a new technique: cell implantation. It is to float on the Alternative Investment Market in an attempt to raise £15 million for research.

Its founder, Paul Kemp, declares that, in the not-toodistant future, “baldness will be a choiceâ€. Dr Kemp, a bioscientist, is not entirely disinterested in the subject, although the rest of his management team retain gently receding hairlines.

Intercytex scientists are preparing for a second round of trials of a treatment that might end not only severe hair loss in older people but even thinning on top among the young.

Instead of the transplants currently available, which involve a sizeable strip of skin being removed from the scalp and its hairs being repositioned around the head, cell implantation would create an almost unlimited supply of new hair cells. “A biopsy is taken under local anaesthetic,†Dr Kemp says, “and sent to us at the laboratory where we grow a few cells into thousands. These are sent back to the clinic and injected into the patient’s head, where they will grow hairs. They could keep coming back for repeat treatments, and during implantation all the patient feels is a slight pressure.â€

Dr Kemp should know: he was one of his own guinea-pigs in the first human trials of the product, ICX-TRC, last autumn. “It was a safety test, only on a small area about the size of a 5p piece, but there were no adverse side-effects and the treatment worked in five out of seven volunteers,†he says, proudly pointing to a patch of scalp with precisely 66 new hairs stemming from it. “We are aiming to have a product on the market by 2010.â€

Such projections depend on a lot more positive research, not least a successful outcome to the second set of trials, to take place with up to 30 volunteers — and on larger areas of hair — in the first half of this year. Desmond Tobin, Professor of Cell Biology at the University of Bradford, says: “There are still concerns about whether the cells will take to the skin, and whether the subsequent follicles will grow in the right size, shape and direction.â€

If they do, according to Dr Kemp, ICX-TRC could ultimately lead to people having not only one-off hair-restoring treatments, but also getting annual hair “top-ups†at a walk-in clinics.

The balding bloggers of the website Hair Site have been filling Dr Kemp’s e-mail inbox with criticisms, questions and pleas. “We are trying to be responsive but I don’t want to give them too high expectations,†he says. “I think that recruitment for the trials should be pretty quick though.â€

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 75,00.html

jeffsss

Reaction score
sam- said:
January 28, 2006 update:

WE MAY have made some progress since Hippocrates, the father of medicine, suggested castration as a cure for baldness, but as a recent ban on misleading advertisements for hair-loss remedies reminds us, the search continues.

Now a British company, Intercytex, is to try a new technique: cell implantation. It is to float on the Alternative Investment Market in an attempt to raise £15 million for research.

Its founder, Paul Kemp, declares that, in the not-toodistant future, “baldness will be a choiceâ€. Dr Kemp, a bioscientist, is not entirely disinterested in the subject, although the rest of his management team retain gently receding hairlines.

Intercytex scientists are preparing for a second round of trials of a treatment that might end not only severe hair loss in older people but even thinning on top among the young.

Instead of the transplants currently available, which involve a sizeable strip of skin being removed from the scalp and its hairs being repositioned around the head, cell implantation would create an almost unlimited supply of new hair cells. “A biopsy is taken under local anaesthetic,†Dr Kemp says, “and sent to us at the laboratory where we grow a few cells into thousands. These are sent back to the clinic and injected into the patient’s head, where they will grow hairs. They could keep coming back for repeat treatments, and during implantation all the patient feels is a slight pressure.â€

Dr Kemp should know: he was one of his own guinea-pigs in the first human trials of the product, ICX-TRC, last autumn. “It was a safety test, only on a small area about the size of a 5p piece, but there were no adverse side-effects and the treatment worked in five out of seven volunteers,†he says, proudly pointing to a patch of scalp with precisely 66 new hairs stemming from it. “We are aiming to have a product on the market by 2010.â€

Such projections depend on a lot more positive research, not least a successful outcome to the second set of trials, to take place with up to 30 volunteers — and on larger areas of hair — in the first half of this year. Desmond Tobin, Professor of Cell Biology at the University of Bradford, says: “There are still concerns about whether the cells will take to the skin, and whether the subsequent follicles will grow in the right size, shape and direction.â€

If they do, according to Dr Kemp, ICX-TRC could ultimately lead to people having not only one-off hair-restoring treatments, but also getting annual hair “top-ups†at a walk-in clinics.

The balding bloggers of the website Hair Site have been filling Dr Kemp’s e-mail inbox with criticisms, questions and pleas. “We are trying to be responsive but I don’t want to give them too high expectations,†he says. “I think that recruitment for the trials should be pretty quick though.â€

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 75,00.html

that's the best news i've heard on this site as of yet.

If i only knew for a fact i could get a HM hair transplant in 2010 I wouldnt ever visit this site again..

Im sure a lot of you would be happy about that. :(

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
They plan to start phase 2 in mid 2006:

ICX-TRC, for hair regeneration in male-pattern baldness, has completed a Phase I safety trial and applications are being prepared to commence a Phase II efficacy trial in mid-2006.

jeffsss

Reaction score
askas said:
For sure it will happen.Maybe our children will see it,maybe not us.But imagine:no bald politician anymore,all film stars with ideal hairlines,and if you see a man with outstanding hairline you think:he is reach maybe.What a dramatic effect it will have after so many hundreds years treating balding as a person with inevitable loss.

the article says 2010..

I don't know how old you are.. but I dont even have kids yet. I dont know why you'd say "maybe our children will see it"

why wouldnt we????

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
This is encouraging for those who would consider surgery...but the key here is that it's still surgery. The benefits will be elimination of donor scarring and theoretically unlimited density. However, aesthetic results will still hinge on the surgeon's skill, just as they do today. Constructing the hairline is an art that few have perfected...even the results that are lauded as perfect often look a bit "off" and unnatural.

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but you shouldn't consider this a cure for male pattern baldness...it's a remedy just like a nose job or facelift...and elective surgery shouldn't be approached in a cavalier fashion because you may not always like the end result.

jeffsss

Reaction score
askas said:
jeffsss said:
askas said:
For sure it will happen.Maybe our children will see it,maybe not us.But imagine:no bald politician anymore,all film stars with ideal hairlines,and if you see a man with outstanding hairline you think:he is reach maybe.What a dramatic effect it will have after so many hundreds years treating balding as a person with inevitable loss.

the article says 2010..

I don't know how old you are.. but I dont even have kids yet. I dont know why you'd say "maybe our children will see it"

why wouldnt we????

I just want to say something opposite to too happy believes.Be realistic.Im very,very old person.Why dont you have kids yet?You should go and make ASAP!Because if you die all from a sudden,whats then?

very very old person? how old? you better be 80 talking like that.

why dont i have kids? b/c i've just turned 26 and i want to make sure i have enough money to live comfortably with kids.

jeffsss

Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:
This is encouraging for those who would consider surgery...but the key here is that it's still surgery. The benefits will be elimination of donor scarring and theoretically unlimited density. However, aesthetic results will still hinge on the surgeon's skill, just as they do today. Constructing the hairline is an art that few have perfected...even the results that are lauded as perfect often look a bit "off" and unnatural.

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but you shouldn't consider this a cure for male pattern baldness...it's a remedy just like a nose job or facelift...and elective surgery shouldn't be approached in a cavalier fashion because you may not always like the end result.

I think most people who go to this forum would be in good hands..

it's the plastic surgons who open a hair transplant clinic once this treatment arrives that people should avoid. and these new clinics are goign to advertise the most and probabaly attract all the people who dont bother to research it much.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
jeffsss said:
hairwegoagain said:

I think most people who go to this forum would be in good hands..

it's the plastic surgons who open a hair transplant clinic once this treatment arrives that people should avoid. and these new clinics are goign to advertise the most and probabaly attract all the people who dont bother to research it much.

Hope you're right Jeff. I have the opposite fear. There are so many desperate "sky is falling, " "my life is over," "I'm screwed" guys on here. I truly think some would meet a hack under a bridge if they thought there was a 5% chance of relief from their anxiety. That's a dangerous spot to be in - which is why the talk of surgery among some concerns me.

ahmedwk

Established Member
Reaction score
So they made more than just couple of hairs,as I heard before.

it's the concept that is important. If they able to get just two cells from one cell then it's possible to get 4 from the 2 ...etc

very good news and I don't care if it's a surgery or not. IT'S THE SOLUTION.

now we have a clear dates. what is remaining is the cost. can we get clear (not rough) approximations about the cost?

jeffsss

Reaction score
ahmedwk said:
So they made more than just couple of hairs,as I heard before.

it's the concept that is important. If they able to get just two cells from one cell then it's possible to get 4 from the 2 ...etc

very good news and I don't care if it's a surgery or not. IT'S THE SOLUTION.

now we have a clear dates. what is remaining is the cost. can we get clear (not rough) approximations about the cost?

dude, we don't have "clear dates' don't get your hopes up.

FabioM

Established Member
Reaction score
He said that the patient has to go back for "top ups" after the surgery.

Does that mean that you clone you hair,get alot of hair and cure your baldness but you have to came back to the clinic to do "top-ups" which i think it´s about correcting something which means the costs of the treatment will rise with the habitual journey to the clinic.

Or am i wrong?