Insane to go on finasteride even though I have been stable for some time after initial recedi

tdag

Reaction score
I'm a Norwood 2-3(closer to 3 imo). Its hard to tell because I was born with a somewhat receded hairline(its hard to tell how bad because nobody ever takes pics of you as a kid meant to examine your hairline). Everything except the hairline is good though. I first noticed it when I was probably 19, went on finasteride for a little bit and quit a few months later because it was too expensive(this was when Merck had the patent). Im about to turn 27 and it is pretty much the same. But Im thinking about going on finasteride because my hair feels "off"(like when I feel around my scalp the hair feels slightly thinner in the front towards the hairline than it does in the back around the crown but it doesn't look thin, not sure if that is normal) and I am worried it might get worse. But it only started feeling off after I visited the HairLossTalk.com forums just to see if there was any new treatments on the horizon and I feel like I may be in my own head here. On one hand I don't even know if I am really balding. On the other hand finasteride works best for maintaining and starting earlier is better and I had no sides when I took it before. I kinda want to go on finasteride "just in case" but also part of me is saying "don't do it, your hair is probably fine and who knows what will happen if you start finasteride?". Advice?

g.i joey

Reaction score
if you're able to live with your hair and it getting a tiny bit worst then id say keep an eye on it bi weekly with pictures and as soon as you notice ANYTHING change you'll get the reassurance you needed to get on finasteride, at that point you can make less of an impulsive decision and actually get on treatment if need be.

BackSoThickHoesWantTheTip

Established Member
Reaction score
Since you have been on Finasteride already not experienced any side effects, i would definitley get on it. The chances of your hair staying like that are very very slim. Even if its not male pattern baldness it will get worse with age.

NormanNorwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a Norwood 2-3(closer to 3 imo). Its hard to tell because I was born with a somewhat receded hairline(its hard to tell how bad because nobody ever takes pics of you as a kid meant to examine your hairline). Everything except the hairline is good though. I first noticed it when I was probably 19, went on finasteride for a little bit and quit a few months later because it was too expensive(this was when Merck had the patent). Im about to turn 27 and it is pretty much the same. But Im thinking about going on finasteride because my hair feels "off"(like when I feel around my scalp the hair feels slightly thinner in the front towards the hairline than it does in the back around the crown but it doesn't look thin, not sure if that is normal) and I am worried it might get worse. But it only started feeling off after I visited the HairLossTalk.com forums just to see if there was any new treatments on the horizon and I feel like I may be in my own head here. On one hand I don't even know if I am really balding. On the other hand finasteride works best for maintaining and starting earlier is better and I had no sides when I took it before. I kinda want to go on finasteride "just in case" but also part of me is saying "don't do it, your hair is probably fine and who knows what will happen if you start finasteride?". Advice?

I also was born with a high hairline after checking photos recently. I started quite an intense shed about 4 months ago which I'm hoping will stabilise soon.

Did you have a shed at 19 which then just stopped and stabilised? Is this a "mature hairline"?

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're really unsure but concerned about it, I would get the opinion of a medical professional, i.e. a respected/credible hair transplant surgeon, or at the very least a dermatologist.