Insane Shedding Almost 7 Months Into Finasteride, Looking For Reassurance

20SomethingManChild

My Regimen
Reaction score
So, I've been creeping through theses forums for a long time, and finally decided to make an account and post something. Here's my story. 26, started noticing my hair was thinning a few years ago, (though no one believed me, including my doctor). About a year ago, I decided I couldn't stand it any longer. My hair has always been my favorite feature. Its real dark brown, looks black in most scenarios, but in bright sunlight it takes on an almost mahogany color. Plus, when I was younger, it was so absurdly think, combs would get stuck in it. Which was impressive, considering its mostly straight hair with a gentle way.

So anyways, about a year ago, I tried minoxidil. Worked ok, though initial shedding SUCKED. After a while, I switched to a minoxidil laced shampoo I found on Amazon called Prominox. I liked that a lot, it was super easy to apply, I would let it soak into my scalp, and my hair felt great. But after a while, the shampoo disappeared of the face of the earth (seriously, I can't find it anywhere), and so I just went back to regular minoxidil used sparingly. I honestly hate using minoxidil, its so messy, so i would use it every couple of days. I decided instead to consult a dermatologist, and she said yeah, its male pattern baldness, though I still have great density (which somewhat annoyed me, because I use to have insane density). She prescribed me finasteride. I decided to give minoxidil a rest, mainly because finasteride is a more effective treatment, and I wanted to determine whether or not the drug was actually working. However, I started shedding almost immediately after taking it. When I went back three months later, she told me that I definitely had new growth coming in, but I found that hard to believe, because my hair felt thinner. Now its been almost 7 months, and dear god, I have shed so much, my scalp is very visable. Its getting much harder to style my hair so my crown doesn't show.

I am well aware that quitting minoxidil can cause some hair loss, and I am also aware that many people post that shedding though months 6-9 are often the worse, but my self esteem could really use some reassurance. I still have DECENT hair, but I'd still like a second opinion, or twelve. Maybe my hair is getting better, and I'm not objective enough? I posted photos of my Base Line Photos vs my Now photos. The top photos on each are my base, bottom ones my current. Keep in mind, my hair is much shorter now than it was in my base ( I cut my hair on the advice I saw in the forums saying it helps the stress of sheds.) My Crown photos also compare wet vs dry. Also, my baseline crown was after I got off work, so my hair is rather messy. Sorry, that's the only photo I could find of it dry.

On one hand, I think my temples look more full, though maybe my hairline has receded a bit.
On the other hand, DEAR GOD, MY CROWN LOOKS SO MUCH THINNER.

You guys are the experts, I'm hoping you could help me out. I really appreciate it.

hairlinebasenow.jpg
crownbasenow.jpg

Samson123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The oft repeated 'a shed is a sign that the drugs are working'. For some it is, others, no. I would like to able to give you some reassurance but I would rather tell you the truth: Hairloss meds can worsen, accelerate hairloss that could be irreversible. The tragic failure about hairloss forums is that this risk in not conveyed first and foremost, the absolutely last thing that hairloss sufferers need is a worsening of their situation trying to treat it. finasteride fried my hair everywhere. By nine months I was balding in places I had no problems in, especially distressing is that I started balding on my sides and donor area which is a joke because these areas were ridiculously thick and healthy prior to finasteride. Also all of my hair became very fine (check to see if your shed hairs taper towards the root, bad sign) So finasteride clearly made all of my hair super sensitive to DHT and, for me at least, can't be undone. If finasteride has made your hair more sensitive to dht then thats a huge problem. I would try a lower dose, like .5 mg, I lowered to that and was stable. It was only when I went below .5 mg that all hell broke loose.

20SomethingManChild

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Fullhead1day, I've heard that repeatedly, but honestly, I have never seen any proof to that. I was looking to see if there was anyone who had a similiar experience, going through a massive shed, but managed to come out in the better. As you can see from my photos, my crown is much thinner, with more of my scalp showing, though my temples have a much softer, darker outline than they used to. But at the same time, Ive lost more terminal hair. So, I don't know what to make of it.

@KO21, My family does have a history of minor balding. The hairline recedes into a distinct M pattern, and there is diffuse thinning on the crown, but that's about it. Everyone has very thick hairs, and even my grandfather has a decent head of hair, and he's nearing 80. Its just bothering me because no one really starts showing noticeable signs until their forties, and I'm 26. I know the whole thing is pretty much up to a genetic lottery, but it doesn't stop it from gnawing at my self esteem.

@Samson123 You just nailed the biggest thing that frustrates me in these forums. You have to dig before you find any information that suggests hair loss regimens can actually accelerate hair loss, but nothing is objective, everything comes with a personal bias. I've seen no empirical evidence that finasteride causes worsening hair loss, though I've seen tons of conflicting anecdotal evidence that says the drug causes increased shedding when its working, but at the same time, no shedding should occur at all when its working. I've seen so many posts that say shedding is a good sign, it'll come back stronger, but not a single reassuring post that mirrors what I'm going though. Like, "Hey, I went through a huge shed half way into my year on finasteride, lost a ton of hair, but THEN grew it back. Here are the before and afters pictures. See how thin my hair got? But now look at the improvement!"

Instead, I mostly I find people saying one of three things:
A.) Shedding Occurs, ride it out, it'll get better/stabalize.
B.) Shedding should not cccur, if it is, it's not working, quit the drug.
C.)Finasteride will ruin your life, blah blah blah, scary fear mongering, blah blah, your genitals are destroyed forever.

I think that bothers me the most, I can't find a correlation of similar experiences that I compare my own to. And I know I can't be objective to my own hair loss, I'm too freaked out about the shedding.
That's why I turned to these forums for help, and second opinions.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
You're going in an identical pattern then. Hop on some finasteride and pray you respond!

Good luck!

20SomethingManChild

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi @20SomethingManChild , i am on finasteride for 5 months now and got really worse and no sign of improving. Still losing tons (300+) a day. Was bad before finasteride as well.

You are now 8,5 months? How is your situation now?

Hey Sanchez1234, I've basically been non-stop shedding. I'll go a couple weeks where I'm not shedding as much, and start to feel better, and then it seems I pick back up again. Thankfully though I'm not shedding anywhere near as bad as I was a couple months in, but its still pretty significant so that's not exactly comforting. My hair is longer now (around 4-5 inches at its longest), but my density is noticeably thinner, especially compared to photos from just last year. My hair line seems worse, and my crown especially so, and I've noticed on some of my longer hairs that I'm shedding that the root is quite a bit thinner than the opposite end, like a gradual thinning across the hair strand. But at least my hair loss can still be masked with a not too noticeable comb-over and hairspray.

I'm going to stick it out for at least the year mark if not longer, and see where I'm at from there. I've read a lot on the forums that people didn't start to see positive results until the year and half mark, so I'm REALLY hoping that I see an improvement by then.

Before I started taking finasteride, I did respond ok to minoxidil after the HORRIBLE shedding I went through, but I wanted to try finasteride by itself to see if worked at all for me. So I might go back on that. But I like to wear my hair on the longer side, and minoxidil is a PAIN to use with long hair.

...I was also kinda hoping I'd have gotten more responses from people on this forum to try and ease my anxiety, hoping someone had a similar situation to mine and came out for the better, but no luck there. :/

Geroz92

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys i wanted to ask for an uptade on this problem because i am going through the same at the moment. Would be amaizing if somebody would reply! cheers!

20SomethingManChild

My Regimen
Reaction score
@ForeverLacey
Yeah, I did stop the drug. After a year with worse results, I figured I'm not responding, and stopped renewing my prescription. After a few months off, I still shed, but nowhere near what I was. My hair is noticeably thinner to what it was 2 years ago, but it also became somewhat curlier too. So with a shorter haircut, a little bit of mess and hairspray, I still have a pretty decent, youthful look. Plus, I didn't notice this as a side effect while I was on it, but now that I'm off finasteride, I feel a lot less tired all the time.

About a month ago, I decided to try a combination of dermarolling (1 mm), minoxidil 5%, and daily scalp massages- post shower. I'll update again if I see any changes with this new method. I'm not really expecting too, but it makes me feel like I'm at least doing something to maintain my hair. And, hey, who knows?

@Fatherbalding17

That is a negatory, Ghost Rider.
I did not respond well to finasteride, nor did my shedding stabilize while on it.

Though to be fair, I also have a horribly stressful work environment where I'm doing hard manual labor for hours on end in a dirty/dusty factory with hardly any ventilation ( I sort packages for a united parcel...company.) So that is probably a contributing factor to my hairloss.
But I'm also getting a new, much more relaxed job sometime in the next month, so maybe that will help?

Idk man. Balding sucks, but I feel at this point I've done literally all I can (within my budget). I'm still bummed about it, but I'm no longer giving myself anxiety attacks over it (at least not lately).
Plus, I can at least take solace that:
A. Technology is rapidly advancing in this sector, and years down the road, I could probably just have my lost hair cloned and reattached.
and...
B. I can finally grow a beard. Which hey, isn't that amazing, but it does mean that if I do go bald, I don't have to look like Mr. Clean. It's not ideal, but its better than nothing. And its definitely better than being bald with really awkward facial hair... Haha

Vindiesel11

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did anyone regrowth the shed hair ?
Im at 8 months an losing lot of hair didnt get any regrowth yet.

Vindiesel11

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have had a period of itchiness at 7 months for about a week but not anymore.
My libido stayed the same and i dont have a oily skin.

Jghost

My Regimen
Reaction score
I never lost any hair in the beginning seemed like not one my hair was getting so thick with tons of regrowth now at 7 months in I'm shedding like crazy I believe it will recover by the one year mark

Jpon541

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know this was a while ago,

But I'm in a similar situation. 9 months on finasteride and I've gone from a Norwood 2.5 to nearly a Norwood 4 with a much thinner crown. I also quit minoxidil when starting finasteride. I hope i improve...

NSix

Established Member
Reaction score
5 yrs on finasteride. I went through lots of sheds.

Going to be switching to dutasteride soon in spite of its sides re: metabolic health.. (pick your poison).

Hairloss is slow in my family, so I can't tell if finasteride even helped me or not. I had a thick head of hair to begin with. 5 years later though, I am a lot thinner (relatively speaking) up top and can't really part my hair the same way I used to.

I also lost a visible amount of hair on both my temple points within the span of this summer - so I don't think I respond to finasteride.