Insane Shedding 2 Months Into finasteride 1mg

hairlossthrow12345

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I've been on finasteride for just under 2.5 months now and have been shedding at the same rate as pre-finasteride, which is probably around 150 hairs. I have/had extremely thick hair which has receded to around a Norwood 2.5. My derm said the shedding (which has been going on for about 4 years) was likely chronic telogen effluvium separate to my recession as he couldnt detect any loss of density on my vertex. For the first two months of finasteride my hair and loss stayed essentially the same, even some days where i thought i was regrowing hairs at my hairline and improving my density. In the past week, I have, no joke, lost an INSANE amount of density in my frontal area. I am losing HUNDREDS of hairs daily. Every day in the shower it's over 100 hairs, plus whatever is now covering the bathroom floor and whatever else i lose daily. My hairline hasn't receded any further, i've just lost a tonne of density. The only change to my routine is that I have started using nizoral in the past month twice weekly. I am honestly at a loss. I understand it is too early for finasteride to begin working properly but i have just lost so much in one week that i don't know what to do. I have shoulder length long hair which has for years been the essence of my physical appearance. From the research I've done I somewhat doubt the validity of the 'finasteride shed' as no clinical research supports it. Has anyone actually lost shed this much hair during treatment and had it actually come back? 95% of the hairs are strong, thick hairs with a white bulb, around 5-25cm long. Around 5-10% max are smaller and thinner. It could also be the continuation of my CTE as it would coincide with both my dexamphetamine binges/sleepless nights for uni exams 3 months ago, and when i started freaking out about my hair. At this point though I am absolutely terrified of it getting worse. I dont want to add minoxidil yet but i am so far below baseline in my frontal area that finasteride cannot stop my shed soon enough, and if it does, I've still lost too much. Should I ditch finasteride if it's ineffective and see if I can find dutasteride? Should I switch from the 1mg generic (prescription from a reputable pharmacy) to propecia? Apologies for the scattered post but this week has been a breaking point and has absolutely obliterated what little optimism I had left.

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 3.5 months in on finasteride right now and I have been going through a shed aswell. I've spent many hours reading about finasteride online (studies, personal experiences etc.) and I found that there's is no real answer to your questions out there. Most will say there will be regrowth after shedding, and in many cases it is like that. I'm noticing slight regrowth on my hairline now but I'm still shedding in other places. You will have to ride it out. Don't think about dropping finasteride (unless you have very severe sides) it can take many more months to see actual improvement supposedly. You could switch to propecia to make sure you've got the right stuff. But that generic finasteride really is from a reputable pharmacy then just stick with that.
Losing hair sucks, we all know it so don't make it worse. Don't count hairs, don't check your hair every 5 minutes and discus your worries with someone you trust. It can be quite relieving!

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
two things.

Hormones Upregulation
or
Converting thin hairs to thick anagen phase.

50/50

good luck.

fireboy99

My Regimen
Reaction score
Same here, been on finasteride 0.5mg for close to two months now, experiencing moderate to high shedding, all the hairs that I am losing are thin at the root with thick ends. Ride it out till 6 months atleast, Lets see what happens!!

Wrong Dong

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey! I also take dextroamphetamine. There are tons of studies that say it causes hair loss. This, for me, is a huge pain in the ***. Either stay awake and motivated, or -maybe- keep more of my hair?

I am about 5 months into my finasteride usage, and I just signed up here because my scalp has started to itch again.
First month, nothing. Second month, not much. Third month I noticed no itching. Same with fourth and fifth. Today, itchy again.

My advice is to search the interwebs for amphetamine usage and hair loss. Also, when I used nizoral 2x a week, I shed so badly that I stopped it. I may try to go back on, but am totally freaked out. So maybe chill with that? I'm not the expert though, this is my first post, haha.

Fatherbalding17

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey @hairlossthrow1234 and @Wrong Dong did you you guys find a solution. My situation mirrors the both of yours as I'm five months in and started shedding at 2.5. You guys still shedding?