inland's story - (age 23,I think I'm lucky in a way)

inland

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I've browsed around for a while and finally got around to posting.

I'll tell my story real quick:
I was 23 and out of nowhere I just started shedding. I saw my hair everywhere I didn't think much of it until I noticed my hairline was thinning. It really upset me because sometimes I spiked my hair and I already had the appearance of a receding hairline (I'm German). I started putting my hair down and went to the dermo...

She said I definitely have androgenic alopecia. She noticed thinning on both sides of the temple and a little at the crown. Now I am on Propecia and I use Nizoral 1% 2x / week. I'm almost 25 and my hair has not gotten any worse! Just recently, it seems like I have every hair back on my crown, and my hair line is filling back in! yesss!

inland

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: I think I'm lucky (in a way)

Lucky_UK said:
Excellent!

thanks! but i have to ask a newb question: what are the big 3 exactly? i would assume 2 are finas and minoxidil

inland

Established Member
Reaction score

GonnaBeatHairLoss said:
finasteride, minoxidil, and Nizoral (Keto Shampoo)

Thats what I thought... if my situation takes a turn, I'll start to consider the minoxidil. thanks

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I would start off win finasteride (5mg of proscar cut into 1/5th's or 1mg of propecia daily) and Nizoral once a week, if you are a responder then within 3 months you should see some improvement or at least slow any further loss, i'd use minoxidil as a last resort as your hair still looks quite good.

BTW I am German but have lived in the UK since I was very young, I cant speak much german though :dunno:

Auf Wiedersehen

uncomfortable man

Reaction score

You are lucky, you have all your hair. Good for you. :roll:

inland

Established Member
Reaction score

Lucky_UK said:
I would start off win finasteride (5mg of proscar cut into 1/5th's or 1mg of propecia daily) and Nizoral once a week, if you are a responder then within 3 months you should see some improvement or at least slow any further loss, i'd use minoxidil as a last resort as your hair still looks quite good.

BTW I am German but have lived in the UK since I was very young, I cant speak much german though :dunno:

Auf Wiedersehen

hey im curious why you say to use nizoral once a week. is it bad to use 3x a week?

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I only use it once a week, I think others use it more frequently but I think it can irritate if used more than that.

inland

Established Member
Reaction score

Lucky_UK said:
I only use it once a week, I think others use it more frequently but I think it can irritate if used more than that.

i have a very oily scalp - if i dont wash my hair everyday it gets extremely itchy and oily. using nizoral 3x a week and regular shampoo on the other 4 seem to work perfectly for me. i was considering using it everyday - but its pretty expensive.

metalheaddude

Reaction score

You did well to get on propecia so fast. You look a bit thin around the temples. How does it look when you spike your hair now?

inland

Established Member
Reaction score

metalheaddude said:
You did well to get on propecia so fast. You look a bit thin around the temples. How does it look when you spike your hair now?

Thanks - I think I grabbed it at the perfect time. It was just enough hair loss to prove it was androgenic, and the perfect time before people started to notice.

Hair looks OK spiked up... I've always had thin hair and the appearance of a receding hairline, so I never really liked spiking my hair. I prefer my hair combed down and to the side (1st pic - had the same style my whole life).

Keep in mind the photos are taken under a direct light to make it look worst case. The photos below are the 2 styles I have, and the top one my hair is still a little wet and I have no problem covering up my small thin areas. Usually I don't spike it straight up either - its usually going a little outward.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score

in the top pic its hard to even tell your thinning at all. With it spiked it looks a bit thinner, bit it looks really good. How long did you say youve been on propecia?

inland

Established Member
Reaction score

Dogs3 said:
in the top pic its hard to even tell your thinning at all. With it spiked it looks a bit thinner, bit it looks really good. How long did you say youve been on propecia?

thanks! ive been on finasteride for close to a year, and nizoral is relatively new. when i started to shed at 23, it seemed like my hair was getting thinner by the day, and it seems at worst the finasteride stopped it dead in its tracks. it started to seem thicker and fuller again after i started the nizoral.

metalheaddude

Reaction score

Ughh you have a similar hairline to me! I have to do EXACTLY the same thing. Push it forward and kinda push it to one side. Its really flattering to thinning hair and hairlines to do this. When I try spikes its just a disaster!

Pic1 with it pushed flat looks GREAT! Difinately stay away from the spikes.

You ever considered a hair transplant to restore/close your temples and get a little more density?

inland

Established Member
Reaction score

metalheaddude said:
Ughh you have a similar hairline to me! I have to do EXACTLY the same thing. Push it forward and kinda push it to one side. Its really flattering to thinning hair and hairlines to do this. When I try spikes its just a disaster!

Pic1 with it pushed flat looks GREAT! Difinately stay away from the spikes.

You ever considered a hair transplant to restore/close your temples and get a little more density?

yeah i agree, im gonna stay away from the spikes. im going to wait a few years and see what happens with my hair. if it stays exactly the same - i may consider a hair transplant to give me a couple years back.

inland

Established Member
Reaction score

update 4/20/08: Got my hair cut pretty short - and it looks great... and THICK! its #3 on the sides and back, and 1" on the top. Last year at this time I got the same haircut, and my scalp was very visible in 2 or 3 areas. I think even comparing to my OP, I have more around the temples... what do you think?

inland

Established Member
Reaction score
update 6/5: Hair feels thicker all over the top. Pic below is my hair spiked and styled with a light right above (same as photo 3 up). If its not thicker, then its at least the same - which makes me happy :)

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Damn dude. I think you're right! Some definite improvement there. What have you been doing? Rogaine foam to the temples or Propecia?

Whats your secret? :woot: