Initial shedding from starting rogaine or finasteride

christop40

Reaction score
40 and thinning on the crown. No bald spots have developed yet, but would like to do something about it. However,my fear and concern is this initial shedding from which some male pattern baldness suffers do not seem to recover from. I understand some recover, and some never experience this initial shedding.

The thing is if I already have bald spot on my crown, then initial shedding will be less of a risk, but for those who have thinned with no bald spots, I am not sure how the risk and possibility of initial shedding should be considered.

If I were to shed from starting Rogaine or finasteride, then I may very well develop bald spot on crown from initial shedding which will be a very big stressor. I may grow thicker hairs after this initial shedding, but what if I don't?

I do not want to make myself bald faster nor more bald.......

How should those with no bald spots consider this potentially massive initial shedding? If there is no initial shedding, I will go on Rogaine or finasteride in a heartbeat. Can you advise please. I need your advice on this matter ASAP.

BritishUser

Reaction score
christop40 said:
40 and thinning on the crown. No bald spots have developed yet, but would like to do something about it. However,my fear and concern is this initial shedding from which some male pattern baldness suffers do not seem to recover from. I understand some recover, and some never experience this initial shedding.

The thing is if I already have bald spot on my crown, then initial shedding will be less of a risk, but for those who have thinned with no bald spots, I am not sure how the risk and possibility of initial shedding should be considered.

If I were to shed from starting Rogaine or finasteride, then I may very well develop bald spot on crown from initial shedding which will be a very big stressor. I may grow thicker hairs after this initial shedding, but what if I don't?

I do not want to make myself bald faster nor more bald.......

How should those with no bald spots consider this potentially massive initial shedding? If there is no initial shedding, I will go on Rogaine or finasteride in a heartbeat. Can you advise please. I need your advice on this matter ASAP.

I started on finasteride at 40 and I'm a diffuse thinner. I haven't experienced any shed that I noticed.

BritishUser

Reaction score
Personally, if you think you have enough hair as it is, it's better to start on finasteride alone. If you start everything together, you presumably won't be able to tell what in particular is giving you results/effect.

I started on finasteride alone then added Nizoral at 8/9 months. This way I could gauge the effects of each product for a period.

You can always add minoxidil later if you want more hair to grow.

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that most of those who say they never regrew their hair did not take before and after photos. I have had amazing success on the Big 3, but if I didn't have before and after photos, I would only say that I had mild success because it's such a slow process. Others probably stopped too early because they got scared and didn't think they would regrow their hair.

The upside is much greater than the downside and the probabilities are definitely in your favor.