Initial impressions of spironolactone

Hairforever

Established Member
Reaction score
Just started using spironolactone and find it easy to apply. It causes a slight tingling/burning sensation in the area of application - is that the caffeine? It has quite a strong but not unpleasant smell (I use the spironolactone sold on this website) - menthol?Mint?

Now I'm hoping the stuff will actually work! Keep the hair I've got - I'm not expecting any regrowth judging by other posters' experiences. I've got 3 jars of spironolactone and am expecting to get through a jar a month - does that sound excessive? I apply it to my bald crown area and just below and to the sides of it. I'm a week off finasteride and praying that my body doesn't go into shock like it did the first time around after 2-3 weeks off Propecia. I'm hoping that what it says on this site is true, ie there are no side-effects associated with spironolactone. For me doing something to fight baldness, however small in terms of overall effect, is better than waving the white flag.

Hairforever

Established Member
Reaction score
My whole body was affected - I had extreme fatigue and thought I had rheumatoid arthritis but I was later diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I'm sure it was caused by my body trying to deal with the hormonal changes resulting from coming off finasteride after 5 years. Not a common consequence I guess but we're all different.

Hairforever

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes at the moment. I've got some Hairsignals but didn't get on with it. I wish that there was tangible proof that spironolactone works rather than anecdotal hearsay.
But the 'no side effects' appeals to me - although some people on this site say they've had sides with it. So who to believe? :dunno:

DarkVctry

Established Member
Reaction score
Been using spironolactone as a stand-alone treatment for almost a year now. I am not going to know though untill atleast 2 years. I can say whether it works or not, the excess actually is a great styling cream (since i can't get it all to the scalp on my hairline) So ive been using it since, I might make the big leap soon and add RU 58841 if i feel i ever lose ground, but i think im more of a diffuse ......my picture is on the profile though.

Im going to stick with it.