information overload: hoping to find some answers

nicklancer

Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I guess like most people here, I have been searching for a solution to my hair loss problem.
I am currently suffering from information overload from reading so much out there, and many conflicting views and reviews of products.

I should start with my stats:
31 - male
Have always had minimal dandruff, but use head and shoulders 2-3 times/week which keeps my head clean.
It's not horrible but I guess I do have dry scalp and notice some flakes if I rub my head etc.
I do not know if this is my main cause of my hair loss.
My hair loss is top, frontal, sides, temples. It is NOT on the vertex or back side.

I already suffer from somewhat low self esteem, and stress about hair loss is taking a toll on me to say the least.

My hair thinning was minimal until a couple months ago when I started noticing several hair if I just moved my hand through my hair.

It has now come to a point that the thinning and hair loss has gotten much much worse.

Upon my research, I came across these major products:
1. Propecia / Finasteride
2. Rogaine
3. Topical Spironolactone
4. Revivogen
5. Laser Comb
6. Proxiphen
7. Lipogaine

Now, I did go through the Success Stories section, and I see Finasteride heavily mentioned.
When I read about finasteride on Wikipedia it mentioned upto 30% men on this drug could suffer from erectile dysfunction, impotence, prostate enlargement/cancer etc.
Is there a topical formula that works as well as the pill? I am guessing it won't have a lot of those serious side effects.

However, since so many people (hopefully these are all real success stories) are having success with it without any side effects, is this the first thing I should start with?

As for Rogaine, I understand its great but if the real cause is genetic (DHT), then perhaps I should take something to block/remove it from my hair follicles. Also Rogaine is said to work on vertex whereas I have a problem more with frontal thinning.

Please, I request your help. I am sure this is not the first time people have come here in such frustration and probably not the last.

Which products should I use? Should I use the Nizoral as well for dandruff, dry scalp etc.?

Objective:
Would like to stop the hair loss as soon as possible, and regrow at least 50% of the hair lost in the next year-ish.
(I know I have to be patient)

Please help ;..-(