Info

marco

Reaction score
Guys.....need help I'm 35 started taking 1mg of propecia 4 years ago and it worked great. about 1 year ago I noticed hair loss much like when it first started so i incresed it to 3mg daily that seemed to have worked for about 10 mounths now I'm noticing it again. and dont know what i should do. I'v noticed a yellow waxy build up on my scalp and cant figure out the cause my shampoo is nizoral every other day with paul mitch. tea tree in between.
can somone please recommend a shampoo that would also assist in removing sebum and dht levals from the scalp. Thanks

bombscience

Reaction score
Marco, how long has it been since your hair lossed has increased once again? This could be a natural process of shedding. 3mg of Propecia is a lot. Not sure about the yellow buildup. If you're not just "shedding" you may want to start to conisder adding a topical to slow things down even more.

Stingray

Reaction score
Nizoral works great to maintain a good scalp condition. I'd recommend getting on proscar... a little cheaper than propecia, for MORE finasteride per dose. 5mg as opposed to 1mg per tablet. Also get on minoxidil, should extend the results for a few more years.

Good to hear it's worked so well for so long though. Keep it up!

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
3mg a day? You should have a nice set of hooters by now. pics? :love:

marco

Reaction score
I started taking 3mg when I first noticed I the hair loss and it solved the problem this was about 1 year ago. just recently about 2 months now it started back-up and I dont know what to do. the only change with my scalp thats noticeable to me is the waxy build-up. I'm guessing its sebum that's why I"m currently looking for a shampoo designed to combat that specific problem. every 23 or three days my scalp seems to itch more then normal and no I'm not using any topical solutions cosmetic or treatment. I tried minoxidil about 2 yrs ago and had a really bad reaction to it
.......plz help

cosmo gene

Established Member
Reaction score
ya man your in good hands, it definately makes sense to add the topicals now. It's grat that you didn't need em before, you saved money and the minor hastle of topicals. I actually do enjoy applying topicals cause it gives my scalp a massage thus increasing blood flow....any ways do you know about Dr lees propylene glycol free minoxidil, however you might in fact be allergic to the minoxidil (I am, it does happen). Dude i probably sound like a broken record but folligen and spironolactone will most likely stabilize (or even regrow) your hair. spironolactone is a class a dht inhibitor of a different vehicle, different is good because you are probably acclimatized to your previous regimen, upping the dose of finasteride will inevitably result in that same acclimating process. You got to shake things up as much as possible, do you weight lift, you know, plateau, some how shake it up. Topicals are a great way to do that, also try varying the time you administer the finasteride. good luck

Stingray

Reaction score
Yea, check out spironolactone. It might let you take a lowered dosage of finasteride to get the same effects. Might make it all cheaper too heh. Good luck.

marco

Reaction score
Guys.....I think its great how most people on this site support one another. I'm going to give folligen a try. I was contiplating on using revivogen or thymuskin. Does anyone know if folligen has a shedding period any imput would be appreciated on the previous mentioned products. Thanks

cosmo gene

Established Member
Reaction score
foligen is an over all hair health enhancer, chances are it won't make or break someones progress, however it is still very worthwhile adjunct to thave in your regimen. It might sting for the first few applictions thereafter it promotes a nice halthy environment for your hair. Also consider adding spironolactone whilst decreasing your finasteride dosage. I'm not sure how much you know about spironolactone but we seem to think that it can be beneficial for you. Good luck. Either way the changes that you do make, make it slowly and deliberately. Lets try to keep your endocrine system mellow. good luck

marco

Reaction score
Guys.....what is spironolactone and now that you mentioned endocrine levels what is that?

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
marco said:
I'v noticed a yellow waxy build up on my scalp and cant figure out the cause my shampoo is nizoral every other day with paul mitch. tea tree in between.
can somone please recommend a shampoo that would also assist in removing sebum and dht levals from the scalp. Thanks

Maybe your scalp is getting used to the tea tree oil and Nizoral. Maybe you've used it so long that it is no longer as effective.
It does sound like sebum, and seb derm, which can accompany it will cause more shedding.
Suggestions: try another shampoo like T-gel or something for a brief time. Also, When I my scalp had excess sebum, my derm gve me a scrip for Lidex (generic: Fluocinonide Cream USP, 0.05%). It also comes in gel and lotion. It is applied at bedtime, for overnight treatment. It kicks sebum ***. I've mentioned it a lot, and it works. :)

marco

Reaction score
It seems that I'm up against so much my hair is normally oily and very thin and now I'm noticing the roots are becoming very small so small that you cant even see them when the hair falls out I need something I just dont know what. for 4 years now I'v kept it under control and in the past 2 months it seems that I'm losing the fight.

maddoc23

Established Member
Reaction score
Marco,

No shampoo is going to affect DHT activity. The yellow build up you mention could be from not not scrubbing you scalp well enough when you shower. As a result the outer layer of skin remains attached to the hair as it grows out. With more vigourous scrubbing, this should go away. Propecia is known to decline in effectiveness over a 5 year period. Increasing finasteride dosage will have little effect. Avodart may be a viable option.

D