Inflammation/Itchy scalp.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to tackle the itchy, dry scalp?

Nizoral tends to be harsh and dry the scalp out. Is there anybody here who has experimented with oils etc. to help with the inflammation and itch associated with male pattern baldness?

legion00

Reaction score
i had a lot of problems with this myself. at first i got some dandruff from minoxodil, but that was no big. over this past summer it suddenly developed into a serious problem- major flaking, dandruff all over, itching a lot, and i was losing more hair than i ever was before.

i had always used head & shoulders to combat the mild dandruff before. when this problem started i added in nizoral every 3 days; it helped get the major inflammation under control but i too found that it dried out my hair and scalp and still left me with too much dandruff, even after 2 months of treatment.

i read on webmd that all of the major dandruff shampoos have different active ingredients, and everyone reacts differently. so i tried the generic cvs equivalent of selsun blue. my dandruff and inflammation was totally cleared up almost immedietly.

so my current regimen is selsun blue everyday, nizoral every 3rd of 4th day (and i wash the nizoral out with regular shampoo afterwards), and a vitmain C supplement every morning. it totally stopped my dandruff and i've noticed a huge reduction in the amount of hair coming out, in the shower at least.

Joachim-

Reaction score
It sounds more like dandruff inflammation to me. No, dont worry, I am sure you do not have male pattern baldness. Alot of drugs can cause hair loss and itchy scalp. One example is accutane.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Joachim- said:
It sounds more like dandruff inflammation to me. No, dont worry, I am sure you do not have male pattern baldness. Alot of drugs can cause hair loss and itchy scalp. One example is accutane.

Seriously ,man don't get me wrong thanks for the information but you don't know what you are talking about. I clearly have male pattern baldness. I'm trying out some oils anyways to keep my scalp moisturized. Thanks!

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil used to irritate my scalp, but not anymore. Fortunately, I only have to apply it to a small area of the scalp.

I've always had dandruff (white particles) and now I'm using a new technique: rotate. Instead of using just one shampoo, I alternate between dandruff shampoos with different ingredients. I'm currently using Redken, T-Gel and Nature Gate Organics.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes T-gel is a good one for refreshing the scalp. Its much less harsh than nizoral but i dont think it will save your hair. It certainly took away the itching for me at least.

I've heard some users talk about using spironolactone to combat this male pattern baldness itch and they claim it works for them.

I've also heard emu oil and virgin coconut oil are meant have some regenerative effects against scalp damage/inflamation and possibly male pattern baldness. They keep your scalp moisturised too to prevent your scalp from drying.

Furthermore you might want to consider dietry changes if you havent done so already. I've read eating too much fatty or sugary food can cause scalp inflamation and possibly worsen hairloss. Green tea and alpha lipoic acid are meant to help by detoxify your body of free radicals which can also contribute to inflamation and so are worth considering.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah , I used T-gel senstitive scalp shampoo and it worked brilliantly the first time I used it this week. I was thinking of trying the Body shop Ginger shampoo next. Also , I've been using spironolactone but since I have long hair I tend to only use it at night. It is brilliant and is the only thing that completly clears my head of itch and inflammation. The only problem is that most of my head gets inflammation these days and applying that much spironolactone causes chest pains.