Increasing head rash, strange hair loss pattern

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My head is red, hot feeling, itchy, like a rash with small almost acne appearances that are really itchy. Its not unbearable but its itchy..... I'm 44 years old Norwood 3. Never any crown thinning prior to this.

BUT I shave my head today as I've noticed significant thinning recently at the crown. I have a strange balding pattern where the exact centre of the crown is NOT bad (shown in GREEN) yet a circle of baldness surrounds the centre crown.

I have no regimen as of yet other than Ketaconzole: I've applied three times over the last eight days. I think it may be irritating me- it seems to make it itchier

Most importantly, this seems to be a side effect of a benzodiazpine ( valium). Heavy use for five years. Benzo withdrawal is especially stressful on the mind and body. I've been sick for six months. I have to withdrawal slowly over 16 months as I have protracted Acute withdrawal. I'm on a support forum and people say thinning and hair loss is common. Yet, what do you make of the circle like bald patch. Is it possible that this is simply male pattern?

Last year there was no thinning in this area. I shaved my head in April 2020. This bald circle was not there a year ago. I discovered my hair was thinning by accident in March 2020. I've always been self-conscious so I dont know how I missed this. I never really check the crown and my hair is typcially longer so perhaps I only notice the frrnt receeding.....If this belongs in the Am I balding section, I apologize. This seems to be a healing crisis of sorts.

Thank you all for your help.

Attachments

• hair buzz no flash.jpg
    hair buzz no flash.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 131
  • hair buzz no flash edit .jpg
    hair buzz no flash edit .jpg
    113 KB · Views: 133
  • the circle.......jpg
    the circle.......jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 125
  • the circle....... EDITED .jpg
    the circle....... EDITED .jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 121
  • hair buzz red 2.jpg
    hair buzz red 2.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 127
  • hair buzz red 2 EDIT .jpg
    hair buzz red 2 EDIT .jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 141
  • hair grown.jpg
    hair grown.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 133

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was gonna say fungal but you’re taking keto so that should help. Otherwise, I recommend going to a dermatologist and asking about this.

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks

I just started the Keto. However I've had fungal infections in the past though not serious. and not on my head Do you think this is male pattern or something else.? First time i tried keto it burned for about 5 minutes after i left shower. not anymore though today it feels like a hotter scalp after showering.

I'm not exaggerating : I live in a small atlantic province of canada. nova scotia. we only have free health care but its horrific and with covid we have no options for dermatology. We have a massive doctor shortage. So, im hoping for help here.

Thank you

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks

I just started the Keto. However I've had fungal infections in the past though not serious. and not on my head Do you think this is male pattern or something else.? First time i tried keto it burned for about 5 minutes after i left shower. not anymore though today it feels like a hotter scalp after showering.

I'm not exaggerating : I live in a small atlantic province of canada. nova scotia. we only have free health care but its horrific and with covid we have no options for dermatology. We have a massive doctor shortage. So, im hoping for help here.

Thank you
If you’ve had it in the past it might be possible that you have it on your scalp this time around. Another type of hair loss with a similar pattern is alopecia areata.

It could also be possible this is natural progression of male pattern baldness.

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh I've had fungal issues in the past. And my body is under massive amounts of stress due to the valium detox. Have you ever seen male pattern baldness with unusual circular bald patch?

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn that's weird. It's almost as if you had glued some sort of circular object onto your scalp and then taken it after a while, leaving its shape tattooed on there

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn that's weird. It's almost as if you had glued some sort of circular object onto your scalp and then taken it after a while, leaving its shape tattooed on there
exactly! weird huh? The very centre of my crown has a 2 inch x inch patch of full thick hair surrounded by a ring of balding. it may be ring worm or some fungal overgrowth. Valium withdrawal throws off the digestive system...its a healing crisis of sorts.

Have you ever seen hair balding like this?

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
exactly! weird huh? The very centre of my crown has a 2 inch x inch patch of full thick hair surrounded by a ring of balding. it may be ring worm or some fungal overgrowth. Valium withdrawal throws off the digestive system...its a healing crisis of sorts.

Have you ever seen hair balding like this?
First time I've ever seen. However, I've been through a fungal infection and it sure is a painful journey

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First time I've ever seen. However, I've been through a fungal infection and it sure is a painful journey
any tips for dealing with fungal infection? I'm using keto - started nine days ago. Used three times. I use an all natural shampoo with tea tree oil as well

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
any tips for dealing with fungal infection? I'm using keto - started nine days ago. Used three times. I use an all natural shampoo with tea tree oil as well
I'm only using keto three times a week as well. I use it every other day, and the days in between I use a baby shampoo (lol). It's been 5 weeks since I started this. Apparently it's working. I started changing my pillowcases more often, especially when I sweat, maybe it can help.

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm only using keto three times a week as well. I use it every other day, and the days in between I use a baby shampoo (lol). It's been 5 weeks since I started this. Apparently it's working. I started changing my pillowcases more often, especially when I sweat, maybe it can help.
intesting abut the pillow case. I'm thinking diluted apple cider vinegar too. or oregano oil diluted. I'm hitting the biotin and collagen too.......

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
intesting abut the pillow case. I'm thinking diluted apple cider vinegar too. or oregano oil diluted. I'm hitting the biotin and collagen too.......
Biotin did great for a healthy growth, HOWEVER, it gave me terrible acne.

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You have ringworm fungal infections go see a doctor immediately.
Thank you very much. Yes I have tinea capitis - which is ringworm of the scalp...THANK YOU for your response. It turns out that the medication I am withdrawing from creates an immuno response in some people that gives them increased fungal infections. Unfortunately, I am up here in Canada and we have a covid lockdown so doctors will only see us for emergencies... Do you have an home remedies. I am using ketaconazole.

Thanks

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Terbinafine cream or tablets.
appreciate your help very much. Is the ketaconazole relevant as well? I notice it is one of the BIG three. why is this? Do most all men with balding issue also have a fungal issue?

Thanks

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
appreciate your help very much. Is the ketaconazole relevant as well? I notice it is one of the BIG three. why is this? Do most all men with balding issue also have a fungal issue?

Thanks
It acts as a mild anti androgen and reduces inflammation. Not much it can do alone but it helps

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Thanks
Ring worm will eat your follicles permently so it's better you get it treated asap. If you can't get to a doctor go to the chemist as they can normally give out the cream version. Ket won't cure it.

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ring worm will eat your follicles permently so it's better you get it treated asap. If you can't get to a doctor go to the chemist as they can normally give out the cream version. Ket won't cure it.
Oh wow.... Do you think I have permanent damage? I certainly lost hair. If I cannot get a prescription is the best remedy over the counter terbenifine? Thank you very much