increase in acne outbreaks since starting finasteride/dutasteride

Have you suffered increased outbreaks of acne since starting finasteride/dutasteride or any other med?

• Total voters

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
just a poll to see how much of "side-effect" this really is. before finasteride/dutasteride i used to get a bout 2 spots a week, now i get big fat ones pretty much every day...whats with that. im thinkin maybe elevated test. levels could be the problem. if so, there's gotta be other people, right? no? yeah?

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I havent voted because although I have had more spots its hard to say if dutasteride is the cause. The first 6 months on dutasteride I had no more than usual spots, but recently i have been getting a lot, but I have also moved from Spain to the UK so could be due to less sunlight etc.

In theory dutasteride should reduce spots because spots are also caused by DHT.

MrBen

Reaction score
I've noticed a decrease in acne. I'm on Minocin for acne and normally I get big giant cystic acne but since I started proscar I haven't. Could just be coincidence but who knows.

HairyPotter

Established Member
Reaction score
Man I was thinking the same thing about the acne... Im 22 and I havent been breaking out for a couple of years, maybe just a random pimple here and there. But I started taking finasteride a month ago and for the last couple of weeks the skin on my face has been feeling greasy as hell and Ive been breaking out like crazy. Im thinking its a side effect of the finasteride and hopefully it will go away when my hormomes balance out or something. Because otherwise I might just quit finasteride... pimples suck just as much as hairloss.

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
HairyPotter said:
Man I was thinking the same thing about the acne... Im 22 and I havent been breaking out for a couple of years, maybe just a random pimple here and there. But I started taking finasteride a month ago and for the last couple of weeks the skin on my face has been feeling greasy as hell and Ive been breaking out like crazy. Im thinking its a side effect of the finasteride and hopefully it will go away when my hormomes balance out or something. Because otherwise I might just quit finasteride... pimples suck just as much as hairloss.

theres noone who hates spots as much as me. i would squeeze one until it burst even if i damaged layers of subcutaneous tissue and caused a scab that would last for a week. after that it heals pretty well and in 3 weeks the marks fades.

having said that, im in my 3rd month of dutasteride and things are starting to calm down.

im sure it will get better for you too. ride it out, my friend.

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I had more breakouts but they come and go for me at weird times but they usually do not last long, typically everything will stabilize after a bit.