Impressive New Study On Nutrition And Cardiovascular Disease

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score

17 countries, 150,000 people, presented by the president of the world heart association.

Salient points in my opinion:
  • He's only looking at heart disease, not all cause mortality, so bear that in mind. Fruits and vegetables might be neutral for heart disease, but they can still be good to prevent cancer for example;
  • Carbs higher than about 40% increase heart disease risk. The response to consumption below 40% is flat, but above 40% there is a huge increase in heart disease risk.
  • Consumption of polyunsaturated and saturated fats have a neutral impact on heart disease risk. Monounsaturated fat consumption has a significant, positive impact, so you should literally go nuts.
  • Fruits and vegetables are neutral, beans/legumes are protective. That means feel free to include some chick peas, lentils, etc in your diet, a few times a week probably.
  • Low salt diets are bad for you. This is important as it explains why people had to fudge their data to "prove" that salt is bad for you. They were fitting a linear fit. What was shown here is that low salt is always bad, and high salt is bad if you have hypertension. The ideal sodium intake turns out to be 5 grams a day, or roughly twice the current recommended value.
He reminds the audience at the end that neutral foods are not bad, they're good. You need to eat and you need to get to 2000 or 2500 calories a day. If a food is neutral, enjoy it. He says he likes vegetables and will keep eating them even though they don't help prevent heart disease.

Elohim

My Regimen
Reaction score
Consumption of polyunsaturated and saturated fats have a neutral impact on heart disease risk. Monounsaturated fat consumption has a significant, positive impact, so you should literally go nuts.

This is kind of confusing to me. How come monounsaturated is so different from Polyunsaturated, which is in effect similar to saturated?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is kind of confusing to me. How come monounsaturated is so different from Polyunsaturated, which is in effect similar to saturated?

That can't be discerned from an epidemiological study such as this one.

It may be due to polyunsaturated promoting inflammation, and that they're disproportionately from artificial sources such as corn oil.

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

17 countries, 150,000 people, presented by the president of the world heart association.

Salient points in my opinion:
  • He's only looking at heart disease, not all cause mortality, so bear that in mind. Fruits and vegetables might be neutral for heart disease, but they can still be good to prevent cancer for example;
  • Carbs higher than about 40% increase heart disease risk. The response to consumption below 40% is flat, but above 40% there is a huge increase in heart disease risk.
  • Consumption of polyunsaturated and saturated fats have a neutral impact on heart disease risk. Monounsaturated fat consumption has a significant, positive impact, so you should literally go nuts.
  • Fruits and vegetables are neutral, beans/legumes are protective. That means feel free to include some chick peas, lentils, etc in your diet, a few times a week probably.
  • Low salt diets are bad for you. This is important as it explains why people had to fudge their data to "prove" that salt is bad for you. They were fitting a linear fit. What was shown here is that low salt is always bad, and high salt is bad if you have hypertension. The ideal sodium intake turns out to be 5 grams a day, or roughly twice the current recommended value.
He reminds the audience at the end that neutral foods are not bad, they're good. You need to eat and you need to get to 2000 or 2500 calories a day. If a food is neutral, enjoy it. He says he likes vegetables and will keep eating them even though they don't help prevent heart disease.

Good read. Thanks for that. What if I have slightly high blood pressure then is 5g a day bad ? I recently changed my sodium intake to around 1.5g max which isn't even hard at all with the foods I'm eating. My high bp is because of my genetic PKD, so I will most likely have to take meds down the road but at the moment I don't really start taking any.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good read. Thanks for that. What if I have slightly high blood pressure then is 5g a day bad ? I recently changed my sodium intake to around 1.5g max which isn't even hard at all with the foods I'm eating. My high bp is because of my genetic PKD, so I will most likely have to take meds down the road but at the moment I don't really start taking any.

I don't know sorry.

The best way to lower BP is to lose weight, I got mine to 109/72 on most recent reading.

Low salt is unhealthy for everybody though. Maybe stay at 1.5 for 3 months then up to 3 grams?

Massive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know sorry.

The best way to lower BP is to lose weight, I got mine to 109/72 on most recent reading.

Low salt is unhealthy for everybody though. Maybe stay at 1.5 for 3 months then up to 3 grams?

K thanks bro. I'm already 195lbs which is pretty skinny for me as my usual weight is around 220lbs. I guess I'll have to take meds as my bp is directly because of my genetic kidney disease. Good thing to know about the sodium intake. I wonder why doctors and nurses are telling me to lower my salt intake. So around what range of salt intake would be ideal?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
K thanks bro. I'm already 195lbs which is pretty skinny for me as my usual weight is around 220lbs. I guess I'll have to take meds as my bp is directly because of my genetic kidney disease. Good thing to know about the sodium intake. I wonder why doctors and nurses are telling me to lower my salt intake. So around what range of salt intake would be ideal?

The dangers of high salt intake have been known for a very long time. However, I think the dangers of low salt intake are new knowledge.