Importing generics into Canada

MrAnon

Reaction score
So, apparently I'm losing my hair. I don't particularly want to shell out $70/month for Propecia, so I'm quite interested in ordering generic finasteride from online. However, I've seen several posts on other forums about customs seizing prescription drug shipments coming into Canada.

What's the deal with this? Is it illegal to import prescription drugs into Canada, or does customs just require you to prove you have a prescription? How common are drug seizures?

nydheart

Established Member
Reaction score
Got mine from United Pharmacy, it took 2 weeks to show up at the post office. No problems. Im sure the parcels do get pinched at the border once and a while but United will ship you more free of charge if this is the case.

MrAnon

Reaction score
That sounds great. Which generic should I choose? Do most buy 5mg and cut it up for further savings?

MrAnon

Reaction score
Anyone? I'm thinking of ordering some Finax so I don't have to deal with pill cutting for now. Buying brand name Proscar and cutting it up is not much more expensive than buying generic Propecia.

nydheart

Established Member
Reaction score
I use finpecia made by cipla. Quite a few guys use it and it is a trusted generic. I actually cut mine into quarters for a 0.25mg dose so it goes a hell of a long way.

Saltwater77

Reaction score
I wouldn't take the chance with customs, especially now that the border is bogged down. I was just reading an article the other day about how Canada Post was telling people to do their online Christmas shopping Now because they couldn't guarantee it would arrive by Christmas, and thats just for Ebay crap from the states.

Just go to any walk-in clinic and tell the receptionist "I'd like to see someone about re-newing a prescription"
When the Doctor comes in, just say "I'd like to renew a prescription for Proscar's 5 mg Finesteride."
he/she will say "Hairloss?" you'll say "Yes"
Doctor: "how long have you been taking it?"
You: "hmm 2-3 years"
Doctor: "any sides?"
You: "nope"
Doctor: "you cut it into 4ths?"
You: "yes" or "I use halfs" (he/she will prescribe more that way)
Doctor: "how's it working out for you?" whilst writing prescription.
You: "so far so good" (might mention adding a few refills to the prescription so you don't have to come back so often)

you'll be in and out in 2-3 mins, not including the hour or so waiting in the lobby cause its flu season.

I find Proscar, at 2.5 mg/day costs me $30-$35/month depending on which pharmacy. If you're in BC, go to london drugs, in Ontario... I think PharmaPlus is cheap, ShoppersDrugMart is more expensive.

Saltwater77

Reaction score
so,
in posting that last night, i reminded my self i needed to renew my prescription soon. So this morning i popped into the local walk-in clinic and got a prescription for 100 Merck Proscar pills. The only pharmacy open was Shoppers, they charged me $208.45 after taxes. for the 100 pills.

seriously, $0.40/day is about as good as your gonna find online and no worrying about shipping and fakes.

MrAnon

Reaction score
I already ordered a 4 month supply of Finax from United Pharmacies, so I'll see how that turns out. I find international air mail often comes much faster than from the US, so hopefully there won't be any problems. If it's not here in 2-3 weeks, I'll get a refund and try out what you suggested. Thanks :)

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think if I take propecia im gonna buy it from a real pharmacy. 60 a month for propecia which is a complete rip off but atleast there is no worry about getting a fake drug which I guess is much much higher at internet pharmacies and pharmacists themselves cant tell good fakes from the real thing.

MrAnon

Reaction score
The package from United Pharmacies arrived on Wednesday, but I wasn't able to pick it up until Friday. Everything was in order, no problems with customs or tax. They marked it as "health products". It came from Hong Kong. I'll probably look into getting real Proscar after this supply has run out.