impact of quitting finasteride

tuitey

Reaction score
Hi
I've done a lot of searching trying to find the answer of what i would have thought is a relatively simple question.

The question:
If for example i were to take finasteride for say 5 years and then quit for whatever reason,

Am i correct to say that by the start of year 6 (one year after quitting):
a) I would have lost the new hair gained
b) I would have lost some of the hair that i had on day 1 because finasteride inhibits the attack on the follicles but doesnt stop the attack completely.
c) but net net I would have more hair then if i had never taken finasteride.

Would be good if somebody could shed some light be it via official studies or anecdotal experience/evidence.

Thanks

TEDDYRUXPIN

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting question. Don't think many people here would be able to answer this actually.

But from the merck website, you would be expected to lose all hair gained within 10 months of stopping. All other hair will just recede as normal.

I don't know how they got the 10 months, but you could lose all hair gained within a normal hair cycle (i.e. as fast as one month).

When I used minoxidil 10 years ago, I stopped using it all together and lost all hair in the temples in less than 4 weeks. This caused me to panic and I went straight onto propecia and other rubbish (such as revivogen and some other con merchant treatments).

I now stick to the regime mentioned now.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's how I always thought of it.

After quitting finasteride, you will completely return to your baseline hair count within one year.

Merck gives a full year before ALL of the finasteride hair is shed. Meaning most of the hair will shed much sooner than a full years time, but all of the hair you gained will be gone within a year. Not to mention the person's normal rate of hair loss during that year.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
timbo said:
Here's how I always thought of it.

After quitting finasteride, you will completely return to your baseline hair count within one year.

Merck gives a full year before ALL of the finasteride hair is shed. Meaning most of the hair will shed much sooner than a full years time, but all of the hair you gained will be gone within a year. Not to mention the person's normal rate of hair loss during that year.

Yep, that's what I was trying to say but you stated it much better.

tuitey

Reaction score
sorry, been away for a while and thanks to replies.

So if i'm interpreting what you are saying correctly, comparing

Person A who has been on finasteride for 5 years; and

Person B who has not been on anything

: After 6 years, Person A and Person B will have the EXACT same hair

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
tuitey said:
sorry, been away for a while and thanks to replies.

So if i'm interpreting what you are saying correctly, comparing

Person A who has been on finasteride for 5 years; and

Person B who has not been on anything

: After 6 years, Person A and Person B will have the EXACT same hair

If person A quits after 5 years, by the 6th year, he should have a similar hair-count to person B. It is also important to mention that when quitting finasteride, it is a good idea to taper off slowly.

thinincrown

Established Member
Reaction score
I quit that sh*t and Fluridil saved my a$$....holding well w/ that and spironolactone, soon to add RU once I get off my a$$ and get batteries for my scale and a bottle of everclear :woot:

bender187

Reaction score
lakota said:
I quit that sh*t and Fluridil saved my a$$....holding well w/ that and spironolactone, soon to add RU once I get off my a$$ and get batteries for my scale and a bottle of everclear :woot:

wait what? were you drinking when you posted this? what the heck is fluridil and why would you ever drink everclear?

bender187

Reaction score
sorry last post was rude..i was also drinking when i posted it LOL

i just saw everclear and i had a couple of bad experiences with it
:puke: :puke:

thinincrown

Established Member
Reaction score
no worries...I was probably drinking too :punk:

I wouldnt drink that everclear if you paid me... its bad enough Im losing my hair, I dont want to lose my eye sight too!

toba

Reaction score
I've heard the your hair will return to what it should look like without propecia.