I'm thinking of getting a hair transplant. But i still want to shave

mercuryfree

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning on getting a Hair transplant.
I'm 36 and receding at the front, in fact thinning all over on top and heading for total baldness.
But I amn't taking any meds and I don't want to.
If I get 2000 grafts at the front I know I will still lose if at the crown.
But is the scar so bad that you really can't shave your head anymore?
Plus this talk of shocking my existing hair is scaring me?
I 'm more concerned about the front but I don't want to look like a freakshow.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Heading for total baldness but refusing to take meds? Want a hair transplant but still want to shave?
Sorry Bud but there are sacrifices to be made if you are serious about having hair.
It depends what you mean by shave, grade1/grade2/3/4?

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Mercury... Shock loss while it can occur... it is somewhat rare. It is good to know that shockloss comes back!

As for your worry of scars and shaving your head... No one can predict scarring for any procedure, however you can try to find a doctor that has a good track record for producing either pencil line scars in strip or a physician that uses the 0.75mm punch in FUE. However, this is not definitive. At least you can find the doctors that care about your donor area scarring.

mercuryfree

Reaction score
Would I get away with a grade 2 shave still?
I think the surgeon is good - has a good rep here in ireland.
Are there photos anywhere of a scar that is cut that short?
I can't take the meds as I have had liver probs in the past with mercury and can't handle any meds unless I wan't to get seriously ill...again.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Which surgeon is this? As far as I'm aware there are no good surgeons in the UK. For a grade 2 you'd have to have one of the very best in the world and then you'd still have to be lucky.

mercuryfree

Reaction score
his name is dr. maurice collins here in dublin. his work looks good.
ok maybe a grade 3. is that feasible? i could live with a grade 3 and a bald crown...

s.a.f. have you had a bad experience of hair transplant? thanks for reply btw

haggis

Reaction score
Hi mercuryfree, this is what a bad strip scar looks like shaved, so if yours turns out like this you definety wont be able to shave your head without it showing, a good strip scar and maybe you could buzz it to a number 3, or you could go for FUE. do ypur research, dont go to an inexperienced doctor or a hairmill.

haggis_29.JPG

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Haggis's scar line is pretty bad. You don't see those too often anymore (WITH PRIVATE DOCTORS!), but at least he is showing you one of the worst case scenarios. I have seen worse. :freaked2:

Here is a worse case scenario where a physician used large punches (1.0mm or greater), did not extract evenly... spent too many hours doing the surgery, used too much epinephrine, and ultimately shocked out his donor area. Again, I have seen worse... and we are all hoping his donor area grows back.

588_image3.jpg

mercuryfree

Reaction score
concentration camp look

thanks guys. jesus i'm getting freaked out by these photos.
maybe i'll stick with the concentration camp look
but my hair on top is like poland... i have germany attacking the front and russia coming up the rear...

if i can't shave with a grade 3 afterwards i wouldn't do it.. but i dread the horseshoe look aaaaaaaargh!

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
This is why we stress for you to research! Just keep on reading and you will figure out who is someone to go to and who NOT to go to.

steve333

Reaction score
Re:

Mercuryfree,

I am based in Ireland too and am in same situation... cannot take meds, went to Dr Collins, but he does not perfrom the fue method. I am now going to go with one of the top clinics on the East coast of the States.

I am going to be happy with reasonable coverage and a blade 2 and never a full head of hair but at least no large scars.

The fue method is performed best by the US/Canadian doctors.

mercuryfree said:
his name is dr. maurice collins here in dublin. his work looks good.
ok maybe a grade 3. is that feasible? i could live with a grade 3 and a bald crown...

s.a.f. have you had a bad experience of hair transplant? thanks for reply btw

RaginDemon

Reaction score
those pics make me never want to go for a hair transplant