I'm Scared Of Rogaine. Input Appreciated

Justin82

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I first noticed my hair loss about 4 months ago

I'm at odds of continuing rogaine use. I may stop tonight, would so much appreciate input
Been using it for a few weeks at night.
I'm scared of what's to come if I keep using it.. and of course if I don't
Input very much appreciated. Thank you all so much

If I continue to use rogaine I'm seeing my path as follows:
1) losing more hair even quicker due to shedding from rogaine
2) suffer the emotional pain of shedding - my hair loss was sudden, and I haven't yet accepted it 100%. not sure if I can emotionally handle shedding
3) "potential" stunting and regrowth of hair in 3-9 months
4) "potential" regrowth of hair at the length I have it now, another 3-4 mos
5) if regrowth or stunting occurs not sure if I attribute it to rogaine, propecia, or acell (yea doing it all), therefore I have to use indefinitely

Don't know what to do :/
Scared to continue

pepe92

My Regimen
Reaction score
it cant make u loose more hair, everyone who says they lost more hair on it were just destined to loose that hair or did not respond at all to the mechanism of minoxidil. U can only gain by it unless u like drench ur head with 5 times the normal amount and somehow kill ur scalp.

Justin82

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, I'm not concerned about long-term hair loss due to Rogaine

My concern is initial hair loss due to shedding

My fear here is there are no guarantees with Rogaine working, but it sounds like the shed is a sure thing

So if I shed, then I lose more hair now, which is scary as hell
To recover the hair loss from the shed itself would take 3-4 months.. regardless of whether rogaine works or not
And to get results from Rogaine could take as long as a year? If I could results..
I'm trying to weigh if it is worth doing

It seems to be a really tough decision

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First you have know what kind of hair loss you have before you get on any treatments, you better see a dermatologist to make a scalp biopsy, may be it's not androgenetic alopecia.

Justin82

My Regimen
Reaction score
First you have know what kind of hair loss you have before you get on any treatments, you better see a dermatologist to make a scalp biopsy, may be it's not androgenetic alopecia.
How would I go about finding a dermatologist for this? I saw one months ago, and she gave me about 2mins of her time. Didn't care to talk about hair loss or treatments. She quickly looked at my crown, parted my hair said yep you're losing your hair and was dismissive of it as an issue. She quickly looked at my hands and wanted to prescribe something to moisturize them due to to the cold weather and me washing my hands often - I couldn't care less about that..

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
She quickly looked at my hands and wanted to prescribe something to moisturize them due to to the cold weather and me washing my hands often - I couldn't care less about that..
At least you got a hand moisturizer prescription , some doctors will tell to accept it and there is nothing to do about it.
how old are you?

Justin82

My Regimen
Reaction score
At least you got a hand moisturizer prescription , some doctors will tell to accept it and there is nothing to do about it.
how old are you?
First off, thank you so much for the replies. I'm 34. Any advice on how to go about finding a doctor who will at least give me some attention, or as you said a biopsy?

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are welcome, sorry I'm not living in your country, but I guess you will find some guys on the fourm who are living in your area they would help you to find doctor, show long you have been on finastrride and what side you have experienced?

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, I'm not concerned about long-term hair loss due to Rogaine

My concern is initial hair loss due to shedding

My fear here is there are no guarantees with Rogaine working, but it sounds like the shed is a sure thing

So if I shed, then I lose more hair now, which is scary as hell
To recover the hair loss from the shed itself would take 3-4 months.. regardless of whether rogaine works or not
And to get results from Rogaine could take as long as a year? If I could results..
I'm trying to weigh if it is worth doing

It seems to be a really tough decision

Initial shedding means it's working. If you're a non responder it will have no affect on your hair. So if you get an initial shed the vast likelihood is that it will grow back stronger.

If you don't notice any results after 6 months then drop it. A year is when you should see max results.

The only mistake you've made is starting it simultaneously with finasteride because it might be hard to tell if min is working or is it just the finasteride. Usually the best advice is to wait 6 months after starting finasteride to start min.

Justin82

My Regimen
Reaction score
That makes complete sense to start just the finasteride first.
It would be a shame to deal with the side effects without it actually helping me.
I guess I feel so pressured, as if I'm on the clock to do any and all things asap
What do you think :/