I'm really worried Propecia isn't working for me

il.mafiozzzo

Reaction score
I'm 22 1/2 years old with early frontal hair loss, rite now I'm a NW2 though. I'm into Propecia treatment for 8 1/2 months now. Anyways for the first 5 months everything looked the same then on month 6 I noticed some thickening and I believed the effects were going to show from then on. A few weeks later I suddenly noticed a little loss but wasn't too concerned back then. On month 8 I noticed a slight bit of loss again. And now on month 9 I noticed very little loss on my temples (there were some short weak hairs but they fell out). I know thickening/regrowth takes time but I'm pretty damn sure my hair loss should've stopped by now!! Please help me, I'm very depressed and scared and don't know what to do.

KANGA

Established Member
Reaction score
Take pics on a bi-weekly basis.

Some people don't notice a difference until nearly a year.

il.mafiozzzo

Reaction score
I did call the transplant Doctor that prescribed me Propecia and he said I gotta wait 1-2 years I'm ok with that but I'm pretty sure the loss should stop after about 6 months into treatment or so!

A

Administrator

il.mafiozzzo said:
I'm 22 1/2 years old with early frontal hair loss, rite now I'm a NW2 though. I'm into Propecia treatment for 8 1/2 months now.
It took a solid 11 months for Propecia to start maintaining my hair, and stopping the fallout. I was about ready to sue Merck. A huge factor is making sure you're on Nizoral every 3 days. Without it, you wont see optimal results. A full year is needed to really get things truly rolling. The same goes for every treatment, including Revivogen. Some people see results sooner, but most everyone see's something by the 1 year mark. Results continue to improve until the 2-3 year mark. Stick with it.

Admin

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Propecia takes 6-12 months to work for the majority of people and varies person to person. I'd give it another 4 months before you decide to quit. Propecia only stops hairloss in 8o% of users. It doesnt work for everyone but chances are its slowing your hairloss at least. Your male pattern baldness may be stepping up a gear without you knowing it. Some people have made the mistake of quiting propecia to similair reasons such as your own thinking it wasnt working and then a few months after stopping found there hairloss drastically escalated. I should note that propecia works very slow (especially compared to drugs such as minoxidil) and takes along time to do its work there is hope for you yet. Its not uncommon for users get results near the end of a years use. Have faith.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I should note that propecia is only reported to work on crown and vertex according to the MERC website. Any gains on temple area is a bonus. This is because temple hair is much more difficult to regain because there are other facters that could cause hairloss in such an area. Technically speaking temple hairloss isnt really deemed male pattern baldness and is seen as a mature hairline unless your a norwood 3 or approaching. Even women can suffer hairloss in this area but not nearly as significant as in men. This is because the temple are has a higher sensitivity to androgens (like DHT) than the rest of the scalp. I've heard minoxidil is pretty effective for gaining hair at the hairline you could try that. It regrew a few hairs for me in that area.

Vigaku

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Propecia isn't meant for the temples. It's just that the temples may improve. Also what's the point of suing Merck. They already claimed there's a small percent of non-responders so they'll just say you're one of them.

And there's those nifty realistic hairpieces to turn to.

il.mafiozzzo

Reaction score
Actually Propecia stops 90% not 80% of the time hair loss! And Propecia works to stop hair loss everywhere even the hairline and temples unless it's a juvenile hairline but I'm clearly a NW2 and thinning so I'm heading towards a NW3 if I won't do anything! But one thing I always believed is that Propecia should stop hair loss by 6 months and by 12 months you should get regrowth (if you will that is)!?

And by the way, everybody keeps thinking that the temples have higher DHT sensitivity, that is NOT true! It's just the temples seem to be the first areas to go in male pattern baldness following other areas but not always. There is men I know with perfect hairlines or NW2 the most but with thinning crowns/vertex!

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
il.mafiozzzo said:
Actually Propecia stops 90% not 80% of the time hair loss!

Actually to be exact on the percentage its 83%. Check link below.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-treatments/propecia/

il.mafiozzzo said:
And Propecia works to stop hair loss everywhere even the hairline and temples unless it's a juvenile hairline

True it works everywhere on the scalp but its less effective on frontal and temple hair compared to the crown and vertex of the scalp.

il.mafiozzzo said:
And by the way, everybody keeps thinking that the temples have higher DHT sensitivity, that is NOT true! It's just the temples seem to be the first areas to go in male pattern baldness following other areas but not always.

Why do you think is this?

il.mafiozzzo said:
There is men I know with perfect hairlines or NW2 the most but with thinning crowns/vertex!

True thats down to genetics or other facters that could contribute to hairloss. Some areas of the scalp have hairs that are more sensitive to dht than other parts of the scalp. It varies from person to person but for most it starts at the temples turning it into a mature hairline. Its those hairs that get lost from the transition from a norwood 1 to 2 that are the most sensitive to androgens in most cases.

il.mafiozzzo

Reaction score
1. Propecia does stop 90% of men's male pattern baldness! It's on propecia.com and they can't lie because they had to prove it to the FDA!

2. Yes Propecia may be more effective in the crown/vertex area then hairline and temples but only in regrowth and thickening! Why? Very simple...it can stop male pattern baldness anywhere, your hairs aren't anywhere more sensitive to DHT! It's all about your genetics where you will lose them! So stopping the hair loss will be across the scalp the same! The reason Propecia works less on the hairline because by the time people start to use Propecia for the hairline it's too far lost to be reversed but the crown has a long period of miniaturization so there it works best!

3. And of course if you are using Propecia to stop a NW1 to NW2 progression it most likely won't work or a little, since a mature hairline (NW2) is a normal adult hairline and not male pattern baldness! But if you are moving from a NW2 to a NW3 that's not normal and Propecia may work very well in preventing that from happening!