I'm Ready To Fight, I Think...

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a newbie to the world of hairloss and like most of you im scared, depressed, anxious, you know the deal.

But I'm finally ready to do something about this. I'm sorry if this gets long and repetitive but bear with me please. I've been looking over websites and forums the past two weeks and I'm still confused as to which the best route to take is.

I think I want to go with Propecia and minoxidil along with Nizoral because this treatment seems to work best. I'm not going to lie, the potential side effects associated with Finasteride scare me. The usual dosage is 1mg but I know that you can split up a Proscar tablet into 1/5's to save money which I plan on doing.

But I've also read that less than 1mg can be just as effective. How would I go about doing this?

Also a little background on my hairloss, my father is pretty bald while my brother, who is 25 is also on his way with hair that is beginning to thin out and very high temple recession. I'm 21 years old and am starting to lose in the temples as well as thin in certain areas of my hair, mainly up front, a little in the back and a little bit on the crown.

Uhh, I have so many more questions....

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

I am going to lie. I was totally comfortable with the idea that I was going to have to take a dam pill everyday or my life and squirt this crap on my head just because I was too vain to accept my hairloss. All the while I was doing this while having the very real risk of adverse sexual side effects.
Seriously though, finasteride is no wonder drug, it has many ups and downs but in my opinion the side effects are minimal and dissipate with time and the results are mostly positive. Patience is the key. Good luck.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Packers
If only I had known about all the treatments when I was your age. After over twenty years of complete male pattern baldness much of my hair is growing back. It requires dedication, patience and belief in yourself.
Unfortunatley there are rip offs galore, but the diaries of some members of this and similar sites will alert you to some of these. You may stick to finasteride (Propecia or Proscar is the question), or try minoxidil and saw palmetto or a dozen other possibly helpful topical or supplement solutions, but everyone is different, some are more sensitive and can experience adverse effects, either temporary or permanent. Most doctors are not interested in the issue, so you have to be your own healer. Don't overdo anything to begin with, monitor your progress.
If you read my story and have any questions I will try to answer, though I am just another seeker of information, I have a little success and optimism behind me after a year of experimentation. I try to take a humerous approach, but this is not to belittle the pain that male pattern baldness and other kinds of hair loss causes to men and women. It seems to me that some members are rather depressed about their problems, and they need to
lighten up. This forum is about communicating facts and positive points of view to help each other, we are brothers, not opponents (Apart from the spammers of course). I am doing my bit in my own amateur lab and it is great to be able to offer some hope, be happy that there are positive treatments now and better ones, hopefully, to follow in the near future.
Boru

hardcastle

Reaction score
Hey Packers,

You came to the right place. There are a lot of smart people on this forum who will answer your questions, and even be nice about it :)

It's good to be aware of possible side effects so you won't be taken by surprise, but don't obsess over them. Power of suggestion and all that.

And remember, one huge ingredient in the battle against hair loss is hope. Given the advances we've seen in the past ten years, and the advances that will be coming along in the next ten, there's every reason to believe that better alternatives are on the way. Do what you can now, be sensible about treatments, and enjoy everything that's good in your life.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Packers said:
I think I want to go with Propecia and minoxidil along with Nizoral because this treatment seems to work best. I'm not going to lie, the potential side effects associated with Finasteride scare me.

If you get side effects (which are rare) they generally subside with time, remember you always have the option to stop taking the medication.

Packers said:
The usual dosage is 1mg but I know that you can split up a Proscar tablet into 1/5's to save money which I plan on doing.

wise move

Packers said:
But I've also read that less than 1mg can be just as effective. How would I go about doing this?

simply take a smaller amount or take 1mg every other day

look here >>> http://img204.echo.cx/img204/4097/graph84xa.gif

Packers said:
Uhh, I have so many more questions....

I only spotted the one :)

nooc

Established Member
Reaction score
Packers

I'm doing 1/4 Proscar three times a week. Along with 5% Rogaine twice a day, Tricomin once a day, and Nizoral, I'm improving quite well after only about 2 and a half months.

Let me tell you, NO ONE is more of a baby about side effects than me. But I've had absolutely no side effects with my dosage of Proscar. If I increase it, you never know; but so far, Little Elvis is still hard and happy whenever he needs to be.

nooc

Established Member
Reaction score
BTW, good for you for fighting now. Looking back on some pictures when I kind of had an idea that I was thinning, I wish I could go back and kick myself for not starting my fight then. That was anywhere from six to ten years ago. I guess I just wasn't willing to admit my situation - what an ***!

Good for you! Fight now!

VWdude

Reaction score
once you start you cant stop... because it may take a long time before you see any results.

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
First off, thanks everyone for the replies and encouragement! I have no one to talk to about hairloss since im so paranoid about it. It feels good to come to this site and learn so much and get all this wonderful help.

OK, so I plan on splitting the Proscar into 1/5's and taking a pill every other day and see how that goes. Will the finasteride still be working on my off day?

Also, where on earth do I get Proscar from? I'd like to order it online but everyone seems to have their own favorite website. I'm looking for a reliable website but also looking for a good price. It also seems that Proscar is a funny looking pill and it's hard to cut it into 1/5's. I know I'll have to get a pill cutter or some sort of razor but how do I get the pill into 5 equal pieces?

And next up is the big minoxidil question, should I start now or wait? I can see by the way my father lost his hair and the way my brother is losing his hair, that I'm going to be most affected in the front, especially the temples. Should I just apply minoxidil to the frontal part of my hair? Should I wait to see how the finasteride works?

Hairloss is such a pain in the ***! :?