I'm dropping dairy and here's why.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hammy070 said:
Doesn't semi-skimmed milk have more calcium?

Yeah, but that's balanced (maybe more than balanced) by the fact that butterfat enhances calcium absorption. For that reason, Roger Williams recommends that you drink only whole milk.

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I think that's a simplistic way to look at it. Foods with fats are not all the same, and some are much better to consume than others. If a given food has a much higher level of nutrients which can fight heart disease (various vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc.) but also has some fat in it, I sure as hell wouldn't AVOID it, just because of that fat!

Bryan, is the study you cited the only one that suggests milk is the exception to the rule that plaque damage is proportional to serum cholesterol and fat intake? has the study ever been disproved?

and there are still the claims about casein and autoimmune disease.......

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
Bryan, is the study you cited the only one that suggests milk is the exception to the rule that plaque damage is proportional to serum cholesterol and fat intake? has the study ever been disproved?

Which study are you referring to? A number of them were referenced in that passage. I'm going to assume that you're referring to the one that experimented with different kinds of milk-feeding diets in rats. No, I don't know that it's ever been disproved, or even contradicted.

tembo

Established Member
Reaction score
I have met quite a few black people and Asians who are lactose intolerant. Wonder why Asians are lactose intolerant? I thought that people in cooler climates evolved to be able to drink milk because there was limited sunny weather to provide calcium.

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
ghg said:
Hammy070 said:
Oh I drink milk everyday. I'm a dairy freak. I sometimes even add a bit of creamto milk to enrich it. I have a mug of hot milk n cream every night before I sleep. I also use butter a lot. Organic double-churned butter. Use about a block a week.

Butter, sugar and salt. Add it to anything and you have a masterpiece. :innocent:

Why add cream to milk when you can drink the cream on its own? I do that sometimes when I happen to have cream... I also eat butter on a daily basis and use it in everything I cook. I don't use sugar, though.

Wow that's overkill! :shock:

I'm not sure I can drink cream directly. I add a bit to hot whole milk to enrich it slightly, from about 4% fat to maybe 6-7% fat. I might try it though, but where does this madness end? What if I enrich double cream with butter! Then to go further I may just drink a melted block of butter. Not healthy probably but that may just knock me out at night within seconds.

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Hammy070 said:
Doesn't semi-skimmed milk have more calcium?

Yeah, but that's balanced (maybe more than balanced) by the fact that butterfat enhances calcium absorption. For that reason, Roger Williams recommends that you drink only whole milk.

Ah right. Makes sense as milk is generally nutritionally balanced. It's quite odd the milk culture, whole milk is well over 90% fat free making it easily a "health food" in our low-fat obsessed culture.

I tried soy milk for a while, just isn't the same. Tried rice milk which was rather vile. Almond milk is alright, nice flavour. I love milk but many anti-dairy sources made me doubt it's consumption. I am lactose-inclined haha pretty much opposite of intolerant.

East Asians rarely use dairy in their diet, either on it's own or an ingredient. Western and Central Asians historically have heavily relied on dairy to provide nutrients, sometimes it was the only thing available in harsh climates or arid seasons. As such in times of 'dairy dependance' those who tolerated it well were more likely to survive and procreate. Thus after thousands of generations lactose tolerance was selected for. I suspect the default state for humans is lactose intolerance post-nursing, meaning Chinese, Japanese, African etc intolerance is not exceptional but default. They'll have their own genetically selected prevalences as we all do.

I probably evolved in a primordial soup of milk and cheese

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hammy070 said:
ghg said:
Hammy070 said:
Oh I drink milk everyday. I'm a dairy freak. I sometimes even add a bit of creamto milk to enrich it. I have a mug of hot milk n cream every night before I sleep. I also use butter a lot. Organic double-churned butter. Use about a block a week.

Butter, sugar and salt. Add it to anything and you have a masterpiece. :innocent:

Why add cream to milk when you can drink the cream on its own? I do that sometimes when I happen to have cream... I also eat butter on a daily basis and use it in everything I cook. I don't use sugar, though.

Wow that's overkill! :shock:

I'm not sure I can drink cream directly. I add a bit to hot whole milk to enrich it slightly, from about 4% fat to maybe 6-7% fat. I might try it though, but where does this madness end? What if I enrich double cream with butter! Then to go further I may just drink a melted block of butter. Not healthy probably but that may just knock me out at night within seconds.

What makes you think that butter is unhealthier for you than for example sugar? Because it definitely is not... infact, butter is very good, natural fat. And why would eating butter "knock you out"?

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
aussieavodart said:

Which study are you referring to? A number of them were referenced in that passage. I'm going to assume that you're referring to the one that experimented with different kinds of milk-feeding diets in rats. No, I don't know that it's ever been disproved, or even contradicted.

Yes that was the one.

I came across this while trying to look for something more recent that might challenge that study-

On the other hand, in Hu and Willett's study of US nurses, the fully adjusted risk of heart disease in those consuming two glasses of whole milk per day was 67% higher than for those consuming no whole milk, with less than a 1 in 10,000 chance that the increased risk was a random observation. This study observed no significant effect from skimmed milk
Dietary saturated fats and their food sources in relation to the risk of coronary heart disease in women, Frank Hu et al., American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1999; 70: 1001-1008

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/70/6/1001

Have you heard of these before or know anything more about them?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen lots of general health claims and comments made that were based on that dietary survey of US nurses. It's mildly interesting to me, but I wouldn't make a survey like that the final word on the matter.

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh man! One thing that makes me cringe are medical risk statistics.

They are so unscientific they reveal almost nothing. Yes they do have a role to play sometimes, but only a minor one. You can compare anything with anything and some supposed relationships could be made. I've worked as analyst and I never included risk statistics let alone developed them from my data.

Did you know people with the sagitarius star sign are 15% more likely than geminis to get cancer? This was a statistic done by new scientist years ago to show just how pointless risk statistics are.

In our society people who drink whole milk are generally not health conscious as those who don't. Yes a very sweeping statement. In a dairy -centric society those who choose no to do so against cultural resistance, usually for health reasons. Those who drink whole milk aren't. This is because the average person believes semi-skimmed is healthy and whole is not. Yes it's wrong but the reality manifests because of both true and false facts. Culture, media propaganda, dairy saturation in commerce and stereotypes of semi-skimmed/soy milk etc being a healthy option are all factors that shape peoples health. A simplistic comparison of whole versus non-whole ignores hundreds of relevant facts that go along with each.

Medical science shoud be strictly cause and effect. "this food has x, which causes x in people with x gene" for example. If knowledge is lacking, learn it and stop misleading people.

Haha rant over ^_^

HughJass

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I've seen lots of general health claims and comments made that were based on that dietary survey of US nurses. It's mildly interesting to me, but I wouldn't make a survey like that the final word on the matter.

Ok, cheers for your input on that Bryan

barcafan

Reaction score
finfighter said:
If your concerned about ingesting hormones, as a result of drinking cows milk, then you should also be concerned about ingesting these same hormones from eating beef, are you a vegatarian? Here's a solution drink organic milk, and stop worring, I'm a huge supporter of milk many studies have shown that daily milk intake aids in muscel growth, I always drank an assload of milk as a teenager and I grew to 6'4'' tall, much taller than any of my close relatives, I think milk realy does ''do a body good'' , as long as it's organic.

can you attribute milk to growing much taller than any of your relatives? Was your life exactly the same as theirs in every way besides drinking milk or something?