I'm done with concealers

epictetus

Reaction score
I’m done with concealers.

This holiday weekend I was invited to go camping, and all I could think about is how I’d be able to apply my concealer in the morning. Knowing that it would be difficult to impossible, exposing me, I declined.

How ridiculous is that?

Ironically, concealers have made me more insecure not less. I’ve completely put aside dating because I’m afraid of rejection once they discover my secret.

So now I’m going to go out in public feeling like the Elephant Man, but, at least, I won’t live with the fear of being exposed.

s.a.f

Reaction score
epictetus said:
I’m done with concealers.

This holiday weekend I was invited to go camping, and all I could think about is how I’d be able to apply my concealer in the morning. Knowing that it would be difficult to impossible, exposing me, I declined.
How ridiculous is that?

Story of my life.... you can definatley become a slave to concealers, I practicly have to plan my entire life around it. But its a trade off inconvience - for looking better.
But as for your situation do you really need to apply it everyday? Cant you go a few days without washing it out and re doing it?

epictetus said:
So now I’m going to go out in public feeling like the Elephant Man, but, at least, I won’t live with the fear of being exposed.

What are you going to do now - shave it?

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
But as for your situation do you really need to apply it everyday? Cant you go a few days without washing it out and re doing it?

Really. That is what I do. I don't know how some people can stand going through that routine every single day.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Would you really feel comfortable with that? Men are men - women are women, we are'nt supposed to be acting the same.

epictetus

Reaction score
saf,

I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Before this all happened, I was strongly considering getting toppik, as I have diffuse thinning. The bad part is that because I have such oily hair (lately definitely minimized by Nizoral) I look like an owl boiled in oil when I wake up in the morning.

I think that if I'm ever going to be confident enough to have a girlfriend/wife that I need to just buzz it, even though I'm so white that I'll look like a lightbulb.

s.a.f

Reaction score
What are you using at the moment? Post a pic of your hair and I could give you some better advice. But in the end it is up to you, concealers can be quite discreet to use. So no girlfreind will necessarily find out until pretty far into the relationship.
Toppik is great for diffuse thinners. Like you said you will have less worries if you shave it, but will you be happy with yourself?

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
I have my hair short cropped right now and am only using prothik as a concealer. Unless I wash my hair, it doesn't come off. I'm sure it eventually would, but I can easily go for a few days without reapplying it if I have to. I shower, wash my hair, and reapply the prothik every day, but in a camping situation where that wouldn't be easily accomplished, I'd be fine just leaving it in place. When it comes to concealers, while it's true you might get made fun of if some of it comes off and is noticed, is that really any worse than constantly being ridiculed by others for that bald spot or receeding hairline?

fluffy123

Established Member
Reaction score
thetodd said:
I have my hair short cropped right now and am only using prothik as a concealer. Unless I wash my hair, it doesn't come off. I'm sure it eventually would, but I can easily go for a few days without reapplying it if I have to. I shower, wash my hair, and reapply the prothik every day, but in a camping situation where that wouldn't be easily accomplished, I'd be fine just leaving it in place. When it comes to concealers, while it's true you might get made fun of if some of it comes off and is noticed, is that really any worse than constantly being ridiculed by others for that bald spot or receeding hairline?

What about being ridiculed for hiding it and then for the bald spot/receding hairline though when it's obvious though? You've then got double the problem.

I won't knock anyone for using the stuff as I did for a few months but the routine and worry about certain situations meant that I felt that I'd be slightly happier without and I am to be honest, so just buzzed it right down and leave it like that while the meds continue to (hopefully) do their stuff.

I couldn't cope with getting up late in the mornings and having something to do with friends and having to rush around getting ready and then panicking that a rush job made it look obvious. I couldn't bear the thought of friends or whoever rubbing my head (which has happened) and then getting something on their hands.

Nah, it's a good product but it isn't for me.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
fluffy123 said:
thetodd said:

What about being ridiculed for hiding it and then for the bald spot/receding hairline though when it's obvious though? You've then got double the problem.

I won't knock anyone for using the stuff as I did for a few months but the routine and worry about certain situations meant that I felt that I'd be slightly happier without and I am to be honest, so just buzzed it right down and leave it like that while the meds continue to (hopefully) do their stuff.

I couldn't cope with getting up late in the mornings and having something to do with friends and having to rush around getting ready and then panicking that a rush job made it look obvious. I couldn't bear the thought of friends or whoever rubbing my head (which has happened) and then getting something on their hands.

Nah, it's a good product but it isn't for me.
Here's the thing, though. I didn't start using concealers until my hairloss was fairly obvious. I was afraid initially that people would make fun of me because it was obvious I had done something to cover my thinning areas. That's not what happened, though. I would get comments like, "You look a little different", "Did you color your hair?", or "Nice hair cut", but casual acquaintainces couldn't quite put their finger on what had changed about my appearance. If you're not totally bald (I'm talking Dr. Phil style), then adding some concealer will improve your appearance without calling all kinds of attention to yourself. I was very thin through the middle, but still had some hair in that area. Adding the concealers did create the illusion of me having more hair, but nobody made fun of me for it. When it comes to people rubbing your head, who does that??? I'd knock the piss out of any guy who tried it. My wife does put her hands in my hair occasionally, and the stuff I use doesn't come off on her, nor do I wake up with it on my pillow.

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
how short is 'cropped short'?

This relates to my thread a bit. I do rely on concealers but as I spike my hair up it's a lot less noticeable, but I'm tempted to buzz it down and see if I can carry on putting Dermatch in my bald spot or if it's impossible..

It doesn't have to create this magic illusion of complete thick hair, even just make it seem a BIT thicker, and not display a shiny skalp staring back at someone if they were to see me.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about a Marine style haircut or a buzz.
My hair is above the top of my ears and my neckline is just below them. Let's just say it's short enough that I don't have to comb it. Maybe it's about a half inch all around. If you have some hair all over your head and are just very thin in places, a concealer can still work.

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
It works well for me at the moment, but that's mainly cos my hair is long and I spike it up (particularly at the back which is immensely thick). Ideally I'd love to buzz it short, like the way Beckham has it, and put a bit of concealer on the crown so it blends in with the tiny vellus hairs and just makes it seem a bit more...natural. My hair loss is pretty odd - a bit like Zidane really, so want to aovid looking too monk like!

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
Also - I really don't mind being a slave to concealers. Especially if buzzed short - I could easily put it on a washbag and apply quickly in private and it'd take no longer than brushing teeth or something!

I doubt people investigate THAT much. It's not like you see adverts for concealers much - I doubt people who haven't experienced hairloss think about that sort of thing

s.a.f

Reaction score
I dont think Joe public dont even know that concealers exist.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
If I were to use concealers I'd tell people I'm using a new hair product. I don't think concealers have anywhere near the stigma that toupees do.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Maybe not but they're still not really something to draw attention to if you dont have to.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think concealers are great. I wish I could use them, but they don't do much for bald temples...