I'm about to start my journey, and I need some tips...

October.Rust

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi there guys,
26 years old guy writing here. I have my basic and functional knowledge of hair pieces, materials and last but not least, the maintenance of the system itself, but actually, I'm not wearing one at the moment. Where my knowledge totally fails to assist me is basically on the first step (of many, probably) of this new journey I would like to start: buying an hair system. I know some brands from a couple of European countries (UK and Germany) but beside them, a complete void. Before asking the ten thousand dollars question, I would like to tell you the current situation of my hair:

- Thinning hairline, with an overall volume loss
- Dealing with alopecia from my 19th birthday (Used both minoxidil and fina, had to cut them off after one year, sides kicked in pretty strongly. I'm slowly headed to a nice Norwood 3 now)
- People still tells me "Your hair are fine, look at them!" (Liars? Nay, probably having really long hair helps)
- my parietal/temple points are alive but my temples are gone, M shaped.
- most important: my overall hair length is around 45/50cms

I'm worried that finding a partial system with 50cms of hair will be pretty hard. Would you like to suggest me some reliable sellers with an online shop featuring custom made pieces for long haired people? Is it realistic to use and wear a partial hair piece of that length?
Thanks alot in advance for any answer.

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

For myself, I don´t think its realistic because I think you have to go for much less density so you don´t wake up like albert einstein every day

October.Rust

My Regimen
Reaction score

For myself, I don´t think its realistic because I think you have to go for much less density so you don´t wake up like albert einstein every day
I definitely agree with you, this guy hairline looks bad, unnatural density and probably, too symmetric. But looks like there's a possibility to find long hair pieces for men too, a little hope!
Probably I should write to every single producer/provider for a precise idea...

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does it have to be long of as long as that if so?

long hair in systems is very difficult to maintain and care for - tangles are pretty much inevitable and one bad tangle can easily render a system useless.

If shorter systems are an option it might actually create the ideal scenario for switching to using a system. One day you have long hair and the next it’s short with a system. It’s going to look very different anyway so might as well do it then.

October.Rust

My Regimen
Reaction score

long hair in systems is very difficult to maintain and care for - tangles are pretty much inevitable and one bad tangle can easily render a system useless.

If shorter systems are an option it might actually create the ideal scenario for switching to using a system. One day you have long hair and the next it’s short with a system. It’s going to look very different anyway so might as well do it then.
I'm considering to keep my hair at the same length for a simple aesthetic reason, they fit well my squared facial features. But cutting off 15 or 20 CMs (with an over the chest length in my case) switching for a "shorter" hair system is not an impossible idea. Thanks alot for your info about the tangles because I was pretty sure that the maintenance of a long hair system could have been more difficult than a short hair one. I must take the decision to use it being conscious of the longer maintainance time and of course, an higer level of accuracy...

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm considering to keep my hair at the same length for a simple aesthetic reason, they fit well my squared facial features. But cutting off 15 or 20 CMs (with an over the chest length in my case) switching for a "shorter" hair system is not an impossible idea. Thanks alot for your info about the tangles because I was pretty sure that the maintenance of a long hair system could have been more difficult than a short hair one. I must take the decision to use it being conscious of the longer maintainance time and of course, an higer level of accuracy...
The issue with tangles is of critical importance and, to be honest, inevitable with longer hair. My salon always tell me they’re amazed at how well I look after my units but I did have to throw one away because it developed a tangle suddenly which ended with me having to rip the hair off the unit to save it.

I’d say tangles are one of the biggest problems with hair systems, they can turn a system from being great to useless so quickly. The difference between a system with hair that is 4 inches long and one with hair 6 inches long will amaze you - the latter will probably tangle loads, the former probably never!

October.Rust

My Regimen
Reaction score
The issue with tangles is of critical importance and, to be honest, inevitable with longer hair. My salon always tell me they’re amazed at how well I look after my units but I did have to throw one away because it developed a tangle suddenly which ended with me having to rip the hair off the unit to save it.

I’d say tangles are one of the biggest problems with hair systems, they can turn a system from being great to useless so quickly. The difference between a system with hair that is 4 inches long and one with hair 6 inches long will amaze you - the latter will probably tangle loads, the former probably never!
First hand experience here, thanks! Is there any difference in maintenance products comparing a long hair system or a shorter one? I'm asking because I never heard of peculiar products basing on the length of hair, but I would like to fill every possible hole in my knowledge about this hair loss solution...

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First hand experience here, thanks! Is there any difference in maintenance products comparing a long hair system or a shorter one? I'm asking because I never heard of peculiar products basing on the length of hair, but I would like to fill every possible hole in my knowledge about this hair loss solution...

I'm a guy with a long hair system -being a rock musician it's crucial for me, and I love it! I have a custom, all Swiss lace system which is around 10 to 12 inches long (it was 14 inches when it arrived, but I trimmed it a bit). I have bio hair on my back and sides, and I shaved my balding area on the top of my head. My hair system goes over the shaved area and the length covers the bio hair on the back and sides, giving me a nice full head of long hair. I am delighted with the results, and I can tell you that long hair systems DO work just fine.

Don't worry about tangling - assuming the hair itself is decent quality, just buy a simple detangling brush and some spray in leave in conditioner and you'll be fine. It's not been a problem for me at all. I got mine from HairHub in the UK, however you might like to try Ese Wigs in china, who have some stock and custom long hair systems, which might be a good starting point for you:

Previous to my custom system, I had a 6 inch stock system which covered my balding area and it blended in with my long bio hair on the back and sides to give the look of a head of long hair. However it's much better to have a custom system that is the same length as you bio hair so you bio hair is covered by the system. Here is some good info from Hair Direct about this:

If you have any questions about long hair systems for men, feel free to ask me as I have first hand experience of them!

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

That's not really true. I wear a long hair system. I tie it back in a pony tail when I go to bed, and it's fine in the morning.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you, this guy hairline looks bad, unnatural density and probably, too symmetric. But looks like there's a possibility to find long hair pieces for men too, a little hope!
Probably I should write to every single producer/provider for a precise idea...

I think his long hair system looks great - the only thing I don't like is that he has an undercut style. If I was him, I'd have kept the bio hair on the back and sides, shaved the top and put the hair system over the top. If you don't like his hairline, you can get a more graduated density hairline if you order a custom system, or you can put the hair in a central parting or wear a fringe instead of exposing the hairline like he does.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

They're not that difficult to maintain. I wear a long hair system. In my experience, tangles aren't a problem if 1) you have a good quality long hair system, 2) you tie it up in a pony tail when going to bed, 3) you brush it with a detangling brush with some spray in leave-in conditioner. Honestly, long hair systems aren't hard to do at all.

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They're not that difficult to maintain. I wear a long hair system. In my experience, tangles aren't a problem if 1) you have a good quality long hair system, 2) you tie it up in a pony tail when going to bed, 3) you brush it with a detangling brush with some spray in leave-in conditioner. Honestly, long hair systems aren't hard to do at all.
Good point, probably has more to do with the type of hair than anything else. My hair is pretty thick and wavy so maybe more prone to tangling than straighter or finer hair.

October.Rust

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a guy with a long hair system -being a rock musician it's crucial for me, and I love it! I have a custom, all Swiss lace system which is around 10 to 12 inches long (it was 14 inches when it arrived, but I trimmed it a bit). I have bio hair on my back and sides, and I shaved my balding area on the top of my head. My hair system goes over the shaved area and the length covers the bio hair on the back and sides, giving me a nice full head of long hair. I am delighted with the results, and I can tell you that long hair systems DO work just fine.

Don't worry about tangling - assuming the hair itself is decent quality, just buy a simple detangling brush and some spray in leave in conditioner and you'll be fine. It's not been a problem for me at all. I got mine from HairHub in the UK, however you might like to try Ese Wigs in china, who have some stock and custom long hair systems, which might be a good starting point for you:

Previous to my custom system, I had a 6 inch stock system which covered my balding area and it blended in with my long bio hair on the back and sides to give the look of a head of long hair. However it's much better to have a custom system that is the same length as you bio hair so you bio hair is covered by the system. Here is some good info from Hair Direct about this:

If you have any questions about long hair systems for men, feel free to ask me as I have first hand experience of them!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience here with me, you raised my hopes about getting a longer hair system! I was considering to find a good UK based Hair system supplier, considering that I'm located in Europe and I prefer to order from an European seller rather than from the other side of the sea. Can I ask you how much did you pay for you custom Swiss lace piece from HairHub? Even if I'm considering a French lace as a total beginner, I fear that a Swiss system is too much to begin with.
By the way, my hair are thick and straight with very slight curls at the end of them, more like a wave rather than a proper curl...

J_D_R

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
By the way, my hair are thick and straight with very slight curls at the end of them, more like a wave rather than a proper curl...

I wonder if you could get away with a Lace Frontal Closure with the base cut to whichever size you need? They are in plentiful supply in all colours.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing your experience here with me, you raised my hopes about getting a longer hair system! I was considering to find a good UK based Hair system supplier, considering that I'm located in Europe and I prefer to order from an European seller rather than from the other side of the sea. Can I ask you how much did you pay for you custom Swiss lace piece from HairHub? Even if I'm considering a French lace as a total beginner, I fear that a Swiss system is too much to begin with.

HairHub currently charge £295 for a custom system, which is not bad at all. I think I had to pay a little extra for longer hair, but it was not significantly more. The only issue is their delivery times being quite long due to Covid, but I am hoping they will deliver faster now. Swiss lace is great btw - very durable (my last system lasted 10 months - lace itself does not wear out), very undetectable to the eye and I honestly don't even feel like I'm wearing something on my head, it just feels as light as real hair.