I'm 23 and doing Propecia and increasing the Avodart dosage.

stancables

Reaction score
OK everybody, here is my routine.

Since September 2006 I have been doing Propecia 1mg a day

Since September 2007 I have been doing Avodart 0.5mg a day

Now, as of January 2008, I have increased to 1mg of Avodart a day.

There is a possibility I will increase to 3 avodarts a day, but for now let's see what happens.

The reason I'm able to do this is because I'm still a college student insured under my parents blue shield coverage PLUS I got a cool dermatologist who doesn't mind prescribing me avodart for "an enlarged prostate". By her prescription saying Take Twice a day, I now can get 60 capsules every 30 days for the $15 co-pay! If I do tell her I'd like to take it three times a day, then they will dispense 90 capsules for the $15 co-pay....I don't know how any of your insurances work, but if you just tell a dermatologist you want on Avodart, they should prescribe it for what it's FDA approved for, "treating enlarged prostates" and you will be covered under insurance.

The propecia of course I pay $210 for every 3 months.

Now, side effects :

A few months into propecia my testicles would start hurting every night or two, like clockwork, around 8 or 9 pm, for an hour or so....After a month of this, there was no more pain

Since starting Avodart, again, the testicles seem to hurt once in a while, maybe once or twice a month it seems?? I think its just my body decreasing my testosterone , and somehow that has to do with the testicles....who knows.

I've noticed no shedding, and no further loss. My goal is to thicken back the thinning that occured after high school, and if possible, the receding hairline.

I'll keep you updated.

And btw, being stupid and impulsive I did a 1000 graft hair transplant with Bosley at 22. Stupid stupid. I don't think they did anything for me either way. Got a scar in the back of my head, and a few random hairs too far down my forehead, but other then that, I can't tell if it did anything at all...Just a waste of $4,000.

beaner

Reaction score
stancables said:
....I don't know how any of your insurances work, but if you just tell a dermatologist you want on Avodart, they should prescribe it for what it's FDA approved for, "treating enlarged prostates" and you will be covered under insurance.

I think I may be questioned as to why I'm going to a dermatologist for my prostate, not to mention it would be very unethical for the derm to do this and is also considered insurance fraud, so it would be illegal as well.

You may want to be careful. The insurance industry is mostly automated when it comes to paying claims etc, but if someone notices that you're being prescribed meds for a condition that you obviously do not have at the age of 23, your doctor could very well be in trouble if someone decides to investigate further.