igG cleaves Antibodies

nomen

Reaction score
I heard that a company called Hansa medical is reasearching in the field of antibodies. Along with other biotech companies they disovered that the surface of a bacteria consistes of a protein called igG and that protein protects the bacteria by cleaving antibodies. If that protein could be extrated or produced it could be used for treating autoimmune diseases or when transplanting they said. Perhaps a treat for male pattern baldness? Anyone with knowledge in this field?

docj077

Reaction score
nomen said:
I heard that a company called Hansa medical is reasearching in the field of antibodies. Along with other biotech companies they disovered that the surface of a bacteria consistes of a protein called igG and that protein protects the bacteria by cleaving antibodies. If that protein could be extrated or produced it could be used for treating autoimmune diseases or when transplanting they said. Perhaps a treat for male pattern baldness? Anyone with knowledge in this field?

The protein is called Protein A and it's on the surface of Staph. aureus. It binds the Fc region of antibodies preventing them from binding to the surface of the bacteria.

nomen

Reaction score
Iam not sure that Ive completly understood this but, is there any chance this(IdeS protein) could be usfull for treating male pattern baldness or is it just for instance when u transplant an organ or other temporarly "autoantibody" diseases?

Quote from: http://www.hansamedical.com/?id=187
In various autoimmune conditions the immune system mistakenly develops and mobilizes antibodies towards the body’s own cells and molecules; such antibodies are called autoantibodies.

Immediate reduction or destruction of these harmful antibodies is often the single most important treatment measure for the inhibition of disease progress

IdeS - a completely unique protein for antibody elimination

* IdeS is a proteolytic enzyme with an extraordinarily high specificity for IgG antibodies.

* IdeS binds to the Fc-part of IgG and cleaves the bound IgG into Fab and Fc fragments in the lower hinge region. This is the only peptide bond cleaved by IdeS.

* IdeS is an abbreviation of Immunoglobulin G-degrading enzyme of Streptococcus pyogenes. The enzyme is part of the defence system of Streptococcus pyogenes.

docj077

Reaction score
Well, technically male pattern baldness isn't an autoimmune disease in the sense that the body isn't creating self-recognizing Abs that deposit as immune complexes in the skin or the body isn't creating Abs against particular self-antigens.

Such a drug would be a horrible idea for a patient on immunosuppressants of any kind as it would sequester all Abs needed to fight off potential infection. It would simply weaken the immune system even more.

I don't see this advance being useful to anyone unless the protein is targeted specifically and the only diseases I could see it being used for would be Ab secreting tumors like Multiple Myeloma.

nomen

Reaction score
Just thought I might be something since I have heard that people who recive cyclosporine after a organ transplant grows hair like crazy (If they lost hair due to male pattern baldness) though that medicine wipes out the entire immune sys. Anyways the IdeS is suppose to treat diseases such as MS, RA, Lupus, and Psoraisis(skin disease) thats why I thought i might be usefull.

Guess i better forget about this now... :) Thx for the clarification.