If you're thinking of seeing Dr Rogers - ask me.

GeminiX

Reaction score
I was talking about the reciever area, but it applies to either if your hair is long enough :)

D

carter

Established Member
Reaction score
rutters said:
nice one m8..I'm about the same as you only I haven't rang yet!! I'd also like to know how long after surgery can you go back in front of people w/out them noticing something's happened.

cheers and keep us informed

Cheers rutters, I think its good to share thoughts. It's reassuring to hear from others who've used Dr Rogers. Had I not first known about Dr Rogers on this board I don't think I would have even considered trusting someone to attempt surgery on my head :freaked: :) If I had a botch job, I just couldn't wear a wig so I can't take any chances - its got to be a top professional.

In response to GeminiX - I have enough hair in the receiver area for concealment but on reading about shockloss on these boards I'm concerned I might look properly bald initially for the first time in my life and with no way of concealing the surgery at outset and that I find a bit scary. However I'm remaining positive :) I'll need to check out your pictures of your progress.

My other concern is the scarring from strip surgery and how easily that can be seen if I go that route. For example if a hairdresser wouldn't notice then I'll be happy - I like it tapered at the back but I'd never intend having a "buzz" or crew cut.

Finally just to say guys I really appreciate your contributions here :)

pete24

Reaction score
thanks so much for the helpful info guys,

I would never have even heard of dr..rogers if i hadnt stumbled on this forum

now i really cant wait to see him...

im booked in for nov in the new london clinic

whiskey

Established Member
Reaction score
You sure you'll be seeing Dr Rogers ?
I know he'll be doing some stuff in London but he'll still be mostly in Stratford. His new Dr will be based at the London clinic.

pete24

Reaction score
whiskey said:
You sure you'll be seeing Dr Rogers ?
I know he'll be doing some stuff in London but he'll still be mostly in Stratford. His new Dr will be based at the London clinic.

that was what i was told by the lady on the phone.

Id better check...thanks.

rutters

Reaction score
going to Stratford for a consult on 20th..I'll keep U all informed.
Just wondering about this 'Shockloss.' Is it loss of hair around the doner area or the receiver area or both or what else?

cheers guys

Trepidation

Reaction score
Good luck to you both. After a bad experience with a UK Doctor (not Dr Rogers) I wouldn't trust anyone in this country with my head now. From what I've read Dr Rogers is by far and away the best UK surgeon although in travelling to the US you could get the worlds top Doctors to work on your head, men of much more experience - why not cmobine it with a holiday.........stay away from prying eyes for a bit. All for the same price too with the exchange rate at the moment.

Don't get me wrong this is not to discourage you, as I said Dr Rogers from what I've read is a top notch Doctor and after speaking to him he appears to be a nice bloke - my feeling is just that the UK is way behind the US and the rest of the world when it comes to hair restoration. This is a life changing decision, make sure you do it right.

pete24

Reaction score
im seeing dr. rogers soon.

Although you guys seem to rate him, Im a bit worried by his lack of decent photos on his porfolio on his website

so far Jeffrey epseins site impressed me most aswell as armani of course

GeminiX

Reaction score
I think Dr. Rogers downplaying is quite deliberate.

When I was choosing the Doctor I wanted to sort my hairline out I visited many UK clinics, of which Dr. Rogers was the first. My initial impression was professional but poor salesmanship; in fact he said that I would probably need two or even three sessions to achieve the results I wanted. By comparison other clinics I visited were showing me all manner of glossy brochures with jolly happy people jumping around like they were on drugs; one in particular looked like he had managed to get half the models from Kay’s Catalogue to have hair loss procedures done there.

Two practices dramatically over-sold their services, going as far as promising me a fringe and perfect hairline within six months (Both of which were considerably cheaper than Dr. Rogers).

I then had a look at some of the American and Canadian clinics as I had heard that they are apparently decades ahead of anything that the UK is offering. Interestingly, I found much the same abroad; lot's of glitz and salesmanship and little else. Of them all, only one appeared to offer a viable alternative to Dr. Rogers, and these were H&W, however after some considerable research, Dr. Rogers does *exactly* the same work in 99% of the cases, the only exception is that H&W seem to do a bit more experimental work too (Something I have no interest in, "Proven, Tried and Tested" all the way for me please). Add to this the fact that if there is a problem, I would have to fly all the way back, and going abroad for the work just seemed like a pointless exercise.

The bottom line is this, Dr. Rogers is as far as I can tell the best option if you're in the UK and are looking for a standard procedure.

*BUT* - Don't take my word for it, or anyone else’s, *YOU* don't know who we are on this board, for all anyone knows we could be on commission or something. Set up your own weighted rankings and do a bit of research, you'll be far more comfortable with your decision if you do.

Peace,
D

whiskey

Established Member
Reaction score
I asked Rogers about the photos & his problem is that because he's very mild mannered & quiet, he doesn't feel right asking people if he can take photos. I think he feels that it invades their privacy. He said he wondered how Hasson/Wong, Feller etc all get dozens of photos to show. Obviously the more up front Drs will just take photos as a matter of course without asking permission.

I think Dr Rogers has gotten a little more daring these last few months so he's probably taking more photos. Only thing is that it'll probably take a while for the final results.

I agree though that his website could do with a bit of tweeking.

rutters

Reaction score
Dr.Rogers tomorrow

seeing Dr. Rogers tomorrow for a consult, just wondering what I should be asking.

Thought of 'what closure method he intends using' 'how many grafts he normally does in one session/day'

Anything else I should be asking?

cheers

Trepidation

Reaction score
1/ Ask about the closure method and for pictures of 'typical' donor scars that can be expected from previous patients. Understand that this does not mean YOU will ge the same result.

2/ Before and after pictures of patients, he should have some.

3/ Wether FUE or Strip, really go into the process i.e. does he do all the extractions? Who does the placement? What type of sutures are used for the strip (permanent/disolving/temporary)? Where will the strip scar be (i.e. past the ears?).

4/ Are any post surgery healing products recommended?

5/ Have there been any complaints against their practice and if so what was the nature of this?

6/ Ask him where he would place the hairline? (should be 8-10cm above your glabella approx)

7/ Ask him about shockloss? Again noting that any past experiences may not necessarily apply to you. But ask him how he limits shockloss?

8/ Ask him about future recession? Where he believes you will end up so to speak? Again, this is subjective.

I'm sure there are many more but thats a 'few' to start with!!!

rutters

Reaction score
Made the trip today and as previously reported Dr. Rogers comes across as a very genuine guy, a doctor not a salesman. I, at no time, felt pressurised or rushed and Dr. Rogers answered all questions honestly and satisfactorily.

My problem is that Dr. Rogers wasn't prepared to do as much work as I wanted him to (some salesman eh?)

I wanted up to 2000 grafts on the temples, crown and the hairline But the good doctor was only prepared to give me 1000 grafts on the temples and crown. He said moving the hairline forwards would look unnatural.

Has anyone else had any work done on the hairline to bring it forward or like to make any observations? I'd still like to persuade him to do mine.

cheers

whiskey

Established Member
Reaction score
rutters said:
Made the trip today and as previously reported Dr. Rogers comes across as a very genuine guy, a doctor not a salesman. I, at no time, felt pressurised or rushed and Dr. Rogers answered all questions honestly and satisfactorily.

My problem is that Dr. Rogers wasn't prepared to do as much work as I wanted him to (some salesman eh?)

I wanted up to 2000 grafts on the temples, crown and the hairline But the good doctor was only prepared to give me 1000 grafts on the temples and crown. He said moving the hairline forwards would look unnatural.

Has anyone else had any work done on the hairline to bring it forward or like to make any observations? I'd still like to persuade him to do mine.

cheers

Do you have any pics ?
It's very hard to comment on an individual case without seeing what we're talking about. Dr rogers is cautious, mainly I think because he has future loss in his mind. The more donor you use and the lower you move the hairline the less donor you have for the years ahead, should you need it.
It may be that your level of baldness isn't quite as bad as you thought ?

Like i say, it's hard to tell without seeing it.

carter

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing Dr Rogers on Friday 28 October so the questions suggested are a great help - thanks. I haven't discussed any of this with friends or family - I'm sure they'd talk me out of it , probably thinking I'm taking an unecessary risk with my health. I'm pleased Dr Rogers is not doing the hard sell it would completely turn me off.

It's a bit of a drive for me down from Glasgow but I enjoy driving and I've got some friends in Nottingham I'll catch up with on Friday night - I've told them I'm seeing a client on business.

I think going to see a hair transplant surgeon is the weirdest thing I've ever done - no one would guess in a million years thats where I'll be on Friday and I intend it to remain that way! I guess thats probably why Dr Rogers doesn't like taking pictures because it is a very private matter and It's good to know he respects his patient's feelings.

I feel good making the effort anyway no matter the outcome. :)

johnny1290

Reaction score
whiskey said:
rutters said:
thanks for that
I realise the strip method would be cheaper and cover more area but I understand it leaves scars..am I right? is that why you chose FUE?

It will leave a long thin scar. If you keep your hair at the back longer than a few mm then it should cover it. Dr Rogers has actually started using a new closure method that can keep the scar almost invisible. I chose FUE to be 100% sure that I could do what I wanted with my hair in the future. FUE can actually leave scarring but it leaves tiny tiny little marks that aren't really visible. Mine can't be seen at all.

FWIW I saw a dude at work the other day that now shaves his head but obviously had strips taken from the back of his head, and I assume put on the top that is now bald. It was gross looking. Just something to consider if you ever think of going for the shaved head look in the future. Good luck to you