If You Transplant Now, What Will The Next 20+ Years Look Like?

IndyMusician

My Regimen
Reaction score
Quick intro: I'm 42 and had a hair transplant 3 years ago for the vertex only, 1500 grafts via FUT. Today, my vertex looks about the same as it did 3 years ago, as apparently most of the native hairs that were there back then are gone now.

But..where I had no frontal problems, I now have noticeable recession and thinning.

I spend a LOT of time looking at pictures, specifically pictures of men in their '60s/'70s to identify patterns in hair loss.

I think I've hit upon one of the key things that makes me apprehensive of doing a transplant to the front part of my scalp (whereas I was not so when I did the vertex a few years ago).

I am a big fan of the 1960s group, The Monkees. Attached, you will see pictures of two of the members, Micky Dolenz and Mike Nesmith, across each of the past three decades. Around '94, they were in their early 50s. The second pics are from around 10 years ago (early 60s). And the final pics are from today.

What concerns me is that while they had receding/thinning hairlines, they had hair until their 60s....and then, seemingly in a matter of years, all of the front and top hairs just vanished. Had they had transplants in their 40s to strengthen their hairlines, what would they look like today? I realize these are just two cases, but I've read often that hairloss can start being more predictable by your 40s. Mike and Micky seem to be counter to that thought. Even if these guys had transplanted, say, 5000 grafts back in their 40s or 50s, would it look worse today in their 70s versus if they had not done anything?

So, effectively, my concern is that having already used 1,500 grafts for my vertex, if I do a 1,500 hair transplant today in the front and find myself 30 years later seeing all of the native front/top hairs fly away, I will not have enough grafts left to make myself look natural.

Your thoughts? Does a well placed transplant of even 1,500 grafts (and possibly another 2,000 down the road) allow for things not to look "bad" should I lose ALL my native hairs on the front/top?

dolenz1995.jpg
dolenz2004.jpg
dolenz2018.jpg
nez1997.png
nez2004.jpg
nez2017.jpg

Last edited:

brahmabull117

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
the problem is that hair loss is not predictable in any shape or form

my co worker was a perfect NW1 with insane density until 47...and he's lost a ton of hair since then
my other co worker was a NW3Vertex at 30 and is still the same at 45

Some guys have perfect hair until 35, then lose everything
some guys go half bald in their 20s and stay that way until 60

I'm a NW2-3vertex and I started losing at 24...I got on rogaine/finnasteride and my hairloss greatly stabilized. I just got a 4000 graft surgery done which gave me a ton of hair all over. I think even if I lose all my natives up top and my sides/low crown don't recede at all (which I don't think they well, I'm still very thick on both the sides and lower crown), I think I will still have decent looking hair. I have tremendous donor density so they were able to get about 12K hairs out of the 4K grafts (I have lots and lots and lots of 3 and 4 hair grafts) plus my hair texture is very thick and wavy. I might do one more surgery with 4K grafts to get another 12K hairs and I would say 24K hair up top will give me pretty good looking hair until I die

If you have straight, fine, white person hair, it's tough man. You need a ton of hair to show any real density and once you start to lose most of it, even 4-6K grafts just doesn't give you much so a lot of this stuff depends on the individual. I'm 29 by the way

IndyMusician

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your response, Brahma.

I do have straight,very fine, white person hair. So many people get transplants to their frontal portion in their 30s and 40s, but you never see what what happens when they are in their 60s and 70s.

I don't want to undergo one or more surgeries if it means I'll look ridiculous when I'm in my 60s. Surely someone has done a bit of research on this?

OfficialWater

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all you did well at using FUT to preserve your donor zone the most efficiently. All you can do is try to apprehend what your final pattern is and plan accordingly. This seems far fetched but in 20 years I’m sure they’ll be something else you can do.

northpole1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its obvious if you have procedure when nw3,it will be look bad for sure(patchy).But if you are nw6 or nw5,then there shouldnt be much difference,as this is final stage,and grafts are transplanted in much balder area,so they should last forever.

IndyMusician

My Regimen
Reaction score
Curious for others' thoughts on this.

If you are a NW2 or NW3 and do hairline restoration, it's feasible that you could regress to at least a NW6 years later and be left with a NW2/3 hairline and few, if any, hairs behind it?