If you shed from treatment is there a gurantee you will grow

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
Im just curious mainly being ive heard if you shed within the first 2 to 3 months its just the drugs minoxidil or Propecia pushing the telgon hairs u were gonna lose out juts faster..so how do u know if the hair will be replaced with thicker hair there anyway to tell?

G

I'm not sure about Rogaine but Propecia is said to work in 83% of men. So if you pop this pill and in the first 2-3 months you shed a little then there is a good chance that it's working. You should also regrow the hair that was shed. Best thing is just suck it an see. If you do shed and it does not grow back at least you are shedding hair that was going to fall out anyway.

Rogaine makes you shed a lot more. Even healthy hairs are prone to shedding if Rogaine is applied on them.

But someone can correct me if I am wrong!

The Gardener

Reaction score
Re: If you shed from treatment is there a gurantee you will

jason566 said:
Im just curious mainly being ive heard if you shed within the first 2 to 3 months its just the drugs minoxidil or Propecia pushing the telgon hairs u were gonna lose out juts faster..so how do u know if the hair will be replaced with thicker hair there anyway to tell?

That's an easy question to answer. If you go through a shed, and the shed hairs have white bulbs on the ends, then those hairs were in telogen phase.

Now, the BIG question is how those hairs will regrow AFTER their resting phase. After telogen hairs are shed, the follicles will remain dormant for a few months, and will take an additional few months before a new hair will grow long enough to be able to poke it's head through the surface. And even then, the initial growth of any hair, even a thick one, is at its thinnest right after resting phase. The hairshaft will continue to lengthen and thicken until its next telogen phase. So, the unknown factor is whether the shed hair will be replaced by a thicker hair that remains in growth stage longer after being soaked with minoxidil, etc, or will it grow back as a thinner hair and go quickly back into telogen phase.

Either way, it will take you at least 6 months to even get an idea of which way the hairs will respond... but in the meantime, you should get some 'sprout' hairs that should give you an idea of whether or not your hair is receptive at a basic level to the minoxidil addition.

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
so basically what you are saying is that you will not know if the minoxidil has actually worked for 6 months?
because if the hair grow back thinner it doesnt if it gerows back thicker it does..that kinda sucks id hate to think minoxidil just is making me lose more hairbut faster..i dont wanna make my hairloss quicker

justasking

Established Member
Reaction score
bad loss

I've been losing lots and lots -- only sporadically using my topicals because I'm on the road, up late and under tremendous stress. I've always been religious about nightly treatments, but not now. Don't think what I'm losing has white bulbs, but they do have bulbs...The whole top is falling out fast now.

I'm planning on shaving my head in two weeks after my last performance -- I'm quitting the performing game -- but it's going to be a race to have any hair on top by then...I may have nothing left. This must be a combination of minoxidil dependent hairs shedding and propecia knocking out my hair as well. I'm in month six of propecia now. Things are bad. I've heard of people shedding for the whole twelve months on propecia. Can things still turn around? If not, I'll just shave forever, but I'm so white and I don't have the smallest ears in the world and a pretty narrow face. I hope I don't look really bad shaved. We'll see...

I remember "Fifty" had a bad minoxidil shed and then phenomenal regrowth. Hoping it's not too late for that, maybe by the end of summer. Treatments will be easier with a bald head, no?

hopewas

Reaction score
i didn't really shed much on minoxidil..but i did have a ridiculous shed on proscar for 3 and a half months..but it all grew back and my hair is filling in nicely. it's thicker, etc..so i'm glad i stuck with it

David77

Established Member
Reaction score
hopewas said:
i didn't really shed much on minoxidil..but i did have a ridiculous shed on proscar for 3 and a half months..but it all grew back and my hair is filling in nicely. it's thicker, etc..so i'm glad i stuck with it

How do you know the shed was caused by proscar? Or were you not on minoxidil at the time?

It's reassuring to hear this though. Did it help with the front?

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
If you go through a shed, and the shed hairs have white bulbs on the ends, then those hairs were in telogen phase.

What does it mean if the hiars dont have white bulbs?
some hairs i lose have like big chunks of the end of em..even the vellous ones

crayola

Reaction score
unfortunately there are no gurantees in this game. I'm going through a minoxidil shed right now (just started minoxidil). It's worse than the one I had on finasteride. I'm pretty positive that it will all grow back though, stronger and better than before.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
crayola, details on your finasteride shed if you may....what month did you experience the shed at and for how long...when did you see it regrow (if you did) and after how long? how much regrowth did you see? thanks.

hopewas

Reaction score
David77 said:
hopewas said:

How do you know the shed was caused by proscar? Or were you not on minoxidil at the time?

It's reassuring to hear this though. Did it help with the front?

i was always on minxodil..i just added proscar and i started to shed. i don't shed much now. you just have to wait it out