If Propecia raises testosterone levels, isn't that bad?

H

HLTguest

Aren't DHT and testosterone both linked to baldness? Why would a drug that raises testosterone levels be good then?

(Forgive me for my juvenile, trivial questions, I don't know too much about the science of hair loss or the drugs that are supposed to treat it....I just buy the stuff).

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
you're increasing testosterone by 10% or something if u take finasteride but you're reducing DHT from type II enzyme by 80% or something. DHT is about 30 times more potent than testosterone at miniaturizing your hair. which one would u rather have?

badday

Reaction score
if you are increasing testosterone with takin finasteride why some people have low sexoual drive activity ?

bubka

Reaction score
badday said:
if you are increasing testosterone with takin finasteride why some people have low sexoual drive activity ?
good question, some people report increase, sexual sides were less than 2% however, in the one study, the placebo group actually had more reported sexual sides than the finasteride group (2%) go figure...

badday

Reaction score
bubka do you have a link about the fda propecia report ??

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
badday said:
because DHT from 5-ar type II is found in the prostate region and is believed to influence erections and sex drive. remember, it's 30 times more potent than the testosterone you're increasing by about 10%.

Dblbass128

Established Member
Reaction score
badday said:

This is due to the fact that your estrogen levels increase as your testorone levels do. This compensation is what leads to gyno and a low sex drive. I took a testosterone booster a few yrs back called 1-AD and it made me a lot stronger, yet killed my sex drive completely.

bubka

Reaction score
Dblbass128 said:
badday said:

This is due to the fact that your estrogen levels increase as your testorone levels do. This compensation is what leads to gyno and a low sex drive. I took a testosterone booster a few yrs back called 1-AD and it made me a lot stronger, yet killed my sex drive completely.
sexual sides are at 2%, which are within the same margin of men taking the placebo vs 5mg of finasteride

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bubka said:
sexual sides are at 2%, which are within the same margin of men taking the placebo vs 5mg of finasteride
i'm not so sure about that 2% though bubka... i personally feel it's a much higher number, but i think it's to a level that most men would accept to stay on finasteride.

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
What reason do you have, other than message boards full of wayward souls looking for hairloss treatments after they had a personal adverse reaction to the drug, to think that the incidence of sexual sides is that much higher than the 2% finalized in an FDA study with 400+ subjects and reported side effects in the placebo? Sorry guys, but the second I think I've halted my hairloss, it's au revoir. If I have an adverse reaction to this finasteride, though, I'll probably still be lurking about. You've got to take this all c*m grano salis, man.

I wouldn't be offended if anyone else leaves, either.

I do promise I'll update occasionally.

But Lord, this is wishful thinking.

Also, if you decrease DHT and up testosterone by 10%, it's unlikely that the increased estrogen will be nearly enough to cause gynecomastia. Thus the extremely low occurence of side effects.

2 Percent side effects in any drug study is really exceptionally low.

ryand2

Established Member
Reaction score
badday said:

uhh, 1-AD wasnt a test booster. It was actually one hell of a hormone just like M1T and stuff like. Drop in libido would have been expected

Dblbass128

Established Member
Reaction score
bubka said:
Dblbass128 said:
badday said:

Ok, But the questions was 'why' do side effects occur

Dblbass128

Established Member
Reaction score
ryand2 said:
Dblbass128 said:
badday said:

uhh, 1-AD wasnt a test booster. It was actually one hell of a hormone just like M1T and stuff like. Drop in libido would have been expected

True, it was indeed a pro hormon, they took it off the market

lame

bubka

Reaction score
Dblbass128 said:
bubka said:
Dblbass128 said:
badday said:

Ok, But the questions was 'why' do side effects occur

given that the sides are virtually the same with finasteride and placebo, i would say it can be mostly attributed to being psychological