If I plan on doing maintenance on my own, do I still need to get the subsequent new hair systems cut every 3-6 months at a salon?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
@noblesources yes, it is worthwhile having subsequently purchased systems also cut-in by a stylist. They need to blend, and also will cut your bio hair.

Good luck!
You answered the same way I did.... Cut your own hair :)
As it was written.....
Love it!

Someone is ignorant, as to the definition of troll..

TROLL:

Post irrelevant topics. -
No, I stayed on topic. Using his words exactly. He refused to, stay on his own topic. He went all over with personal attacks.

Inflammatory?-
No, I asked for clarification. He alone, chose to make personal attacks.

Insincere?
I sincerely meant every word.

You don't get to change the English language, based on what you want something to be. Just like you don't get to change whether you're a boy or a girl. You're confused on both counts, viking:)

Read up! Dictionaries for all!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211223-123632_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211223-123632_Chrome.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

No Hair No Fair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will get my first system cut at a salon, but I am curious if it is possible to cut systems after that myself after a while. I am just nervous about messing up cutting one but I am not sure how to gather the experience for that. Or should one get it cut at a salon every time?
When I receive a new stock unit, I cut the base to my template, glue the unit to my scalp, brush it all straight back and put on a ballcap, then head over to either The Hair Cuttery or a higher-end hair salon. I wear skin units and I'm pretty good at making the edges seamless. The hair stylists sometimes never even realize I'm wearing a hairpiece.

...But if they do, they'll often act like they suddenly forgot how to cut hair or they're afraid to cut it. They'll say, "Ok, this is good, right?" and hand you the mirror and it's obvious it doesn't look right at all, but I guess they think that's what a toupée is supposed to look like. Then you have to start giving them explicit instructions about what they need to do to cut your hair properly. Also, a lot of them are bad with English, which further complicates the process. And then sometimes you get a stubborn unit that was ventilated in a way that isn't very stylable or the template didn't line up with the ventilation pattern 100% when it was cut and that makes it hard for them to style as well. Even when they do a pretty good job, I'll often end up tweaking it myself a little when I get home. I also usually avoid getting it cut too short the first time (medium length "normal"/"busines" style, not undercut or extreme fade) just in case it wasn't on 100% straight (it can be hard to get it on straight when it's long). I'll often wear it back in to get a trim later when my natural hair starts getting too long. Sometimes I'll touch it up with clippers, but I usually like to let the pros do it.

So sometimes your local hair salon will do a great job and other times, not so much. There are hairpiece-specific shops (which can also usually attach it to your scalp for you), but a lot of them are expensive, make you sign contracts, and some of them aren't even that good.
Your best bet if you're going to get it styled in person is to find a stylist that consistently does a good job and keep going back to them.
It is helpful to know how to cut your own hair in case you have to (TIP: get one or more extra mirrors installed in your bathroom to see the back and sides; even if you don't cut it yourself it will help you make sure your hairpiece looks right), but it can be nerve-wracking to cut your own hairpiece and you'll be mad at yourself if it doesn't turn out right.

Also, most hairpiece suppliers will cut your base to a template for you, and some will cut/style the hair before they send it to you.