If finasteride works,will dutasteride work as well?

baso80

Reaction score
Hi,

So I have read mixed results on dutasteride but cannot simply find answer to this:

1. If finasteride works, will dutasteride work as well?

Because I read posts here on the forum saying that finasteride was fine but then they started on dutasteride and everything went bad and they switch back and then its kind of fine again.

How is this possible? Doesnt dutasteride inhibit more DHT in the body?

2. Could the body be "immune" to dutasteride but not to finasteride?

rptiffany

Reaction score
good question. i have been on finasteride for 18 mths and have been satisfied with the results. however, if there is a chance to get more regrowth than i would definitely be interested in checking it out.

have any dutasteride users seen better results than they had on on finasteride?

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
it had been better to start with duta and not use first fina and switch then to duta...

i looked verry good at both product before i started this...
i need a lot of regrowth sinds i lost almost everything....
pics : viewtopic.php?f=61&t=50920&start=7

i talkt about duta and fina to my doctor , he said : duta is stronger , but also more chanse on sides...

i started with duta , and am verry happy with this...

you can try for a topical anti-androgen at first, and see if this gives you more regrowth , i use topical flutamide

higer dose minoxidil can also give regrowth...

baso80

Reaction score
wesleyBelgium said:
you can try for a topical anti-androgen at first, and see if this gives you more regrowth , i use topical flutamide

higer dose minoxidil can also give regrowth...

Where do you get flutamide from? I found that interesting, I just read about the flutamide on wiki and it sounds like a good complement.

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score

Billy-The-Kid

Reaction score
Propecia (Finasteride) blocks type II 5-ar, Avodart (Dutas) blocks both Type I & II 5-ar. 5-ar converts testosterone into DHT.

I recomend starting with propecia, then adding Avodart if needed.

I don't like topicals, they don't work for me. I'm on both propecia & Avodart and had no problems, only new re-growth.

kablake1

Reaction score
I have taken propecia for about two years now. I am starting to shed a little more and have decided to add avodart with my propecia.

Has anyone else done this and at what dosages? Please advise of what regimen may work. Daily, every other day, etc?

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks like some people just react better to finasteride than dutasteride despite the fact that dutasteride should decrease the amount of dht.

For my experience, I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it. In other words, if finasteride is working fine for you then there's no need to switch. Maybe if more people claim success on dutasteride then a switch would be less risky, but at this point there's been too many people (including myself) who weren't so successful with a switch.

baso80

Reaction score
Billy-The-Kid said:
I'm on both propecia & Avodart and had no problems, only new re-growth.

1. Why are you on both and not only Avodart?

2. What dosages do you take from both?

zb00st

Established Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, I also consider adding Avodart. I have no results for regrowth 6 months using finasteride, even it made it worse at front. I will wait for a month or so but I wonder what to do, just add avodart (what dosage if I take finasteride too ?) or switch to avodart and stop finasteride ?