If finasteride is supposed to start working right away...

aj2006

Reaction score
I understand that the hair wont regrow right away, but why does hair still fall out? Im over a month into GENERIC FINPECIA(so we dont know for a fact that it's actually real) and my hairs still falling out at the same rate.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
No one said it would stop falling out immediately. In fact, it won't. It can take many months before loss is arrested if the medication works for you. Don't freak out.

Now - the Finpecia thing. I do wonder why some guys, many of whom live in a deep depression, resolve to take the risk in order to save a few nickels. So you can sleep at night, why not go to the doctor and get a prescription for the real article?

aj2006

Reaction score
Because it's alot more then a few nickles. Im 19 and I cant really swing the price of Propecia. I have other bills. Maybe when Im a little older and a little more finacially well off I will. It's not that Im cheap, I just dont have the luxery of a ton of extra money when I have to pay car insurance, credit card bills, buy food, pay for gas. These things might not seem like a horrible burden for you. But when you're 19, and not making alot of money weekly they are.

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
aj2006 said:
Because it's alot more then a few nickles. Im 19 and I cant really swing the price of Propecia. I have other bills. Maybe when Im a little older and a little more finacially well off I will. It's not that Im cheap, I just dont have the luxery of a ton of extra money when I have to pay car insurance, credit card bills, buy food, pay for gas. These things might not seem like a horrible burden for you. But when you're 19, and not making alot of money weekly they are.

Same reason that I'm on Finpecia and one of the reasons I split the pills in half and take .5mg a day.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
I'm not unaware of the challenges you cite. I too have been there. However, it's all about priorities. Perhaps you can sacrifice something else in your budget and find the dollars. I've done it many times in the past to get things I needed or wanted.

I'm not beating you up here, but you expressed doubt over the Indian stuff you're buying. Getting the genuine product eliminates that concern 100%. Too, if what you're taking now is not effective for whatever reason, it's really not a savings at all...quite the opposite. Something to consider.

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
aj2006 said:
I just dont have the luxery of a ton of extra money when I have to pay car insurance, credit card bills...

Buy it on your credit card.

r1989

Reaction score
I highly, highly doubt Cipla could get away with giving out faulty medication. They're a big company and personally, I trust them. When the alternative is paying 73 friggin dollars a month for Propecia, you learn to trust generic real fast haha

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
r1989 said:
I highly, highly doubt Cipla could get away with giving out faulty medication. They're a big company and personally, I trust them. When the alternative is paying 73 friggin dollars a month for Propecia, you learn to trust generic real fast haha

Which country are you in?

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Propecia is ridicusly expensive, but you can take proscar and split it into 5ths. Its a pain in the ***, but it costs little more and once again you are 100% sure you get genuine stuff.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sphlanx2006 said:
Propecia is ridicusly expensive, but you can take proscar and split it into 5ths. Its a pain in the ***, but it costs little more and once again you are 100% sure you get genuine stuff.

Exactly.. I also find it hard understanding why so many people go for generic when Proscar broken into 5ths works out so cheap.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
why is everyone in this thread so weary of cipla stuff?! u guys should be more than convinced it's just as good by all the posts in these forums about it!

G

Why does finasteride NOT start working immediately? From the single dosage graph it shows that DHT levels are reduced after the very first dosage. I mean if DHT levels are reduced isn't that already starting the battle against hair loss??

Also what would make you shed after starting finasteride? Does finasteride also reduce the amount of time a follicle remains in the telogenn phase like minoxidil does?

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it doesn't start working immediately because hair takes months to grow. the hair on your head is being drowned by DHT and it takes a while for your follicles to become healthy again after all the DHT is being blocked. think of someone who's been drowning in the sea. he's not going to start running around right after he gets rescued is he? it'll take some time for him to sort himself out and get back to normal.

aj2006

Reaction score
Im not worried about it growing back right away, im more worried about the fact that it's still falling out just as fast. Then again I'm on minoxidil as well. Would I still shed hair on minoxidil, if the finasteride is doing it's job?

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
of course u would. sheds are positive with minoxidil. unless u never regrow the hair that was shed on it, which doesn't happen very often, but is possible.

G

So basically it does start working right away, irrespective of the fact that hair takes time to grow. By working I mean lowering DHT levels and making our follicles less susceptible to miniaturization/self destruction.

Yes, Cipla and Dr. Reddy's are established and well respected pharmaceutical companies. They even have FDA approval on some of their medications.

It's not the fact that it's Cipla or Dr. Reddy you'd have to have any concern about, but that your online pharmacy IS in fact getting the Cipla/Reddy medicine from a reliable distributor. Though an interesting perspective I recently gained is that the incentive to counterfeit a generic is going to be very lower since the margins would be so much higher to spend the time faking the Merck drugs.

Simply buy your generics from a reputable online pharmacy (inhousepharmacies.com and unitedpharmacy.com seem to be the de facto standard on these sites) and then pray it's 100% finasteride :)

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
MPBwarrior said:
of course u would. sheds are positive with minoxidil. unless u never regrow the hair that was shed on it, which doesn't happen very often, but is possible.

Where do you base this fact? I have never heard any serious evidence reporting something like that.

blandflabbis

Reaction score
There are two problems here, firstly Finasteride doesn't work by stopping hair falling out, if you're sitting around waiting for less hair to fall out then you're looking for the wrong thing. It works by targeting the regrowth process - i.e. when someone is going bald certain follicles stop regrowing hair (it actually doesn't entirely stop but that's besides the point). Finasteride reduces the amount of follicles that 'close' in this way. The level of hair falling out isn't the issue because it's incidental to your long term scalp coverage and the evidence is mixed in any case as to the effect it has: some say it has no effect, some say it increases shedding, some say it decreases it.

As for whether it works straight away, it does in the sense that it reduces DHT levels straight away, but as for noticeable effects on your hair this takes a period of months. In terms of the effect on your long term scalp coverage we're talking several months before you would notice anything caused by Finasteride - some say as long as 8 months. In terms of the theories about shedding, if it did cause an increase in hair falling out it would be noticed between 1-3 months after starting the tablets if not longer, if it reduced the amount of hair falling out the timescale would be the same.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sphlanx2006 said:
MPBwarrior said:

Where do you base this fact? I have never heard any serious evidence reporting something like that.

i've heard MANY stories of people on minoxidil shedding hair and never regrowing that hair back... but i also heard many stories of people shedding and then regrowing that hair shed and new hair on minoxidil too.

Paul December

Established Member
Reaction score
aj2006
1st - the generics are just as good as Propecia...I'm surprised people are actually suggesting to buy non-generic. Its a complete waste of $$$ (and I can afford it)
2nd - things only started slowing-down for me after 2months...and that may actually be early.
Buy generic from one of the trusted sellers and give it some time. I know its hard to wait (been there, done that)...but you've got to stop constantly checking or you will drive yourself crazy.
Hang-In-There!