If Finasteride Is As Effective As Claimed

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
... then how come hair loss forums are full of people who got nothing from using it?

Are these just natural gathering places for the few non-responders? Or is the claim that it halts hair loss for 80 to 90% of users grossly overblown?

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
... then how come hair loss forums are full of people who got nothing from using it?

Are these just natural gathering places for the few non-responders? Or is the claim that it halts hair loss for 80 to 90% of users grossly overblown?
What is grossly posted are the side effects and claims from people that jump off the treatments to soon and say the medications don't work. You need to give it a year or more.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is grossly posted are the side effects and claims from people that jump off the treatments to soon and say the medications don't work. You need to give it a year or more.

I'm not and never have been worried about side effects. The studies show those are very rare.

If finasteride stops hair loss for 83% and this is proven in 1 year and 2 year clinical studies, but you have to wait at least 3 months, usually 6 to 12 months, to see any result, then how can the claim be made most stopped losing hair after starting finasteride? They were still losing hair for months, and maybe for a year after starting treatment!

I'm not arguing with you, I hope and pray someone comes along and answers this easily and makes me look stupid. I desperately do not want to lose any more hair. I'm just asking questions that seem logical to me and I can't get answers.

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not and never have been worried about side effects. The studies show those are very rare.

If finasteride stops hair loss for 83% and this is proven in 1 year and 2 year clinical studies, but you have to wait at least 3 months, usually 6 to 12 months, to see any result, then how can the claim be made most stopped losing hair after starting finasteride? They were still losing hair for months, and maybe for a year after starting treatment!

I'm not arguing with you, I hope and pray someone comes along and answers this easily and makes me look stupid. I desperately do not want to lose any more hair. I'm just asking questions that seem logical to me and I can't get answers.
Most of the posts on these forums are bullshit. I've been taking meds for 20 years. Had regrowth. Maintaining at Norwood 3 since. The rest of my family however are Norwood 7's so I guess maybe it works? :)

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Most of the posts on these forums are bullshit. I've been taking meds for 20 years. Had regrowth. Maintaining at Norwood 3 since. The rest of my family however are Norwood 7's so I guess maybe it works? :)

Thank you for talking to me.

After you started how long did it take for you to stop shedding?

I lose a lot of hair from the top of my head, it pulls out and falls out much easier than hair from the sides and back, if this is caused by dht then shouldn't finasteride stop this because it blocks dht?
I've read on Keeps that finasteride starts blocking dht as soon as it's metabolized. Does it need to build to a certain level in your system?

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you for talking to me.

After you started how long did it take for you to stop shedding?

I lose a lot of hair from the top of my head, it pulls out and falls out much easier than hair from the sides and back, if this is caused by dht then shouldn't finasteride stop this because it blocks dht?
I've read on Keeps that finasteride starts blocking dht as soon as it's metabolized. Does it need to build to a certain level in your system?
I no longer take finasteride, I take dutasteride. It is stronger and works better for me. You lose about 100 hairs a day normally. male pattern baldness or not. It takes months to work. I'm a good responder so it took me about 3 months to see results. Just because you get on the medication doesn't mean it will work for you. Also you will probably go through a shed

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I no longer take finasteride, I take dutasteride. It is stronger and works better for me. You lose about 100 hairs a day normally. male pattern baldness or not. It takes months to work. I'm a good responder so it took me about 3 months to see results. Just because you get on the medication doesn't mean it will work for you. Also you will probably go through a shed

I only lose a lot hair from the top of my head, very few from the sides or back. I don't think it's normal shedding.

This isn't caused by finasteride, this has been going on well before starting it.

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
I only lose a lot hair from the top of my head, very few from the sides or back. I don't think it's normal shedding.

This isn't caused by finasteride, this has been going on well before starting it.
Go get a blood test. Have them check everything from testosterone, estrogen, Dht, thyroid, vitamin and minerals.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Go get a blood test. Have them check everything from testosterone, estrogen, Dht, thyroid, vitamin and minerals.

Oh it's definitely male pattern hair loss. The recession above the temples and thinning patch on the crown is a dead giveaway. The hair from the v shaped front to the crown falls out easily, slowly being replaced by thinner, wispier hair.

I know it's caused by dht, and I understand it takes time to grow healthier hair. I just wonder why a substance that blocks dht isn't stopping the shed.

What was your experience when you started finasteride?

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh it's definitely male pattern hair loss. The recession above the temples and thinning patch on the crown is a dead giveaway. The hair from the v shaped front to the crown falls out easily, slowly being replaced by thinner, wispier hair.

I know it's caused by dht, and I understand it takes time to grow healthier hair. I just wonder why a substance that blocks dht isn't stopping the shed.

What was your experience when you started finasteride?
It won't stop a shed it will increase a shed. Every folical on your head is at a different cycle. Growing, resting, shedding. The hairs that are already in line to be shed will fall out first. Until all the hairs catch up you will see shedding, resting and then regrowth. And hairs only grow a 1/2" a month! all those hairs that you shed and started to grow thicker won't be visible for months

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Because most people on forums are the non responders one, still seeking for alternatives.
Most people that got results from it move on and live their lifes, browsing this forum 5min per month just to see how research is evolving.

A vocal minority doesn't mean it's not a minority.
Just look at the LGBTQ++ZIOhJGJHOE community, they are like 5% of the population, you hear them everywhere, in every medias, in every topics : "What about LGBT ?"....ridiculous

Last trend is crying because they are not enough present in Hollywood movies, there's no famous trans actor/actress

Anyway, you get it

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
Question: do you believe other people have realities outside of your limited consciousness?
Why do you think your a non responder? How long have you been on the medication? And at what dose? I think most of the sides are a mental issue created by reading forums and posts like yours!

Last edited:

Father_of_Shiseido

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a 3 vertex, 44 years old, and I'm adopted, I have no idea who my biological family is.
Norwood 3 at the age of 44... It is highly unlikely that you will develop an advanced stage of balding. If fina is not working, hair transplant would be a cure for you.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Norwood 3 at the age of 44... It is highly unlikely that you will develop an advanced stage of balding. If fina is not working, hair transplant would be a cure for you.

I've only been on finasteride a month but I'm trying to find out from long time finasteride users if there are any early indications of being a good responder.

I take it that you responded well. Did you see any change in your hair or body in the first few months?

If I could just hold on to my Norwood 3 I'd he on cloud 9.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you guys read studies or spout bullshit? finasteride/dutasteride will halt loss on anyone with AA regardless of their "destiny".

It's reduces dht by around 70%, so (I'm just guessing here) if you are extremely sensitive to dht the remaining 30% might be enough to cause hair loss to continue.

wemustchange

Reaction score
It's reduces dht by around 70%, so (I'm just guessing here) if you are extremely sensitive to dht the remaining 30% might be enough to cause hair loss to continue.

Bit of a leap to claim someone with a NW6/7 pattern will see no benefit from finasteride/dutasteride. Both are extremely effective as proven by science when used properly. Thousands of people with a 'destiny' of NW6/7 have halted their hair loss with these drugs.