If finasteride dont help frontal hair?

G

Then why the hell use it, if your problem is only receeded temples..! (only 1 cm)???

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that no official studies have been done to determine its effectiveness on hair in the temple region. It probably does help to a certain extent but they are not allowed to claim that it does (yet). I could be wrong though!

juststarting

Established Member
Reaction score
jambri said:
I think that no official studies have been done to determine its effectiveness on hair in the temple region. It probably does help to a certain extent but they are not allowed to claim that it does (yet). I could be wrong though!

This is incorrect. There are a couple studies out there showing efficacy in frontal region....

G

frontal.. does that include the TEMPLES??? or only the mid-frontal!

G

Carlsberg sucks...! But Wiibroe Pilsner has helped me a lot already... no doubt!

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
you use it because you don't want to go bald in the mid-scalp, or the vertex.
without finasteride, you could become nw7 a complete bald head.

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.hairlosslibrary.com/frontal_hair_loss.html

Excerpt from article....

"Finasteride
Finasteride was another hair loss treatment drug that was thought to be largely ineffective against frontal hair loss until a recent study proved different.

During the first year of the study, 50 percent of men in the finasteride group saw a self improvement in the amount of frontal hair growth while 70 percent of the group saw no decrease in the amount of frontal hair by hair count. The placebo group saw continued hair loss in 56 percent of the subjects.

The investigator assessment of hair growth demonstrated improved for the finasteride group over the placebo group at all points of the study beginning with month 3. The magnitude of this improvement increased over time. By month 12, 37 percent of the men were rated as improved by investigators. Scalp hair counts at month 12 revealed that men treated with finasteride had an average increase of 12 hair per square centimeter compared with the placebo group.

"It appears that finasteride acts initially to slow down the miniaturization of hairs and to stimulate hair growth. With continued therapy, the newly grown hairs become longer and thicker. Because hair cycling is a slow process, it is not surprising that these effects improve slowly over time." - Clinical Study"

Melbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Well... that pretty much clears it up Cornholio. But i think that one would be silly not to take it if male pattern baldness is present and a concern to the individual. I think i have unquestionably maintained more hair from Proscar. Perhaps not filled in my temples, but i never expected that to happen. The general thickness was improved all over my existing hair... then i stopped for 4 months... started thinning again, now im back on it i think its improving again.

So i think you should take it anyway... my 6 cents...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
"It appears that finasteride acts initially to slow down the miniaturization of hairs and to stimulate hair growth. With continued therapy, the newly grown hairs become longer and thicker. Because hair cycling is a slow process, it is not surprising that these effects improve slowly over time." - Clinical Study"

Oh-oh. Yet another strange assumption that improvements in male pattern baldness are somehow limited to the CYCLES of hair. I don't understand why that belief is so widespread.

Bryan

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on proscar for about 4 months now and i have a bunch of 1/2"-3/4" long hairs growing along the hairline. I know they're new because i bleached and dyed my hair shortly after starting.

The back of my head has filled in a bit as well making that looney sized bald spot look like a thin spot... the area in general still needs to thicken more though.

I'm hoping that after a year of being on proscar i'll be able to spike my hair again.

damnthis

Established Member
Reaction score
what do you mean Bryan?