If Dutasteride/finasteride is causing you a bloated or fat face.....

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im experiencing this bloated/fat face issue, i was taking minoxidil and finasteride for over 1 year, and currently re-trying dutasteride as of 5 days ago. I dont know if this is due to the minoxidil or the dutasteride, but i have a feeling its both. Im pretty lean and when i stand up i can see more than 70% of my six pack, it seems like if i lost 10 pounds it would be 100% showing. Anyways, im not sure if its face fat or water retention. I never had this problem before. I tried some Aromasin while on dutasteride in the past and it mad my bloat worse.

So my question is, if i continue to take dutasteride my estrogen levels are probabbly going to go up about 25% (i think) along with testosterone. Im taking Flax Lignan and Green tea Extract to try and regulate estrogen as much as possible while on dutasteride. If i go on a strict diet and shed 10-15 pounds, will my face be chisled like it used to? Its weird because im 160 and ive been 160 for years, and my face was chisled before i started this minoxidil/Propecia/Dutasteride, crap. So what gives? What is the REAL SOLUTION? Could this puffy/fat, round, face be due to insulin resistance, due to simple carbs, sugars,ect?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Maybe it's the simple fact of growing older.

How old are you again, Stax?

I think you should take a simple treatment program and stick with it.

Stick with minoxidil, finasteride, and nizoral.

Why not?

It's cheap, effective, and not risky at all.

I get the impression that you're blaming all of these treatments for your own problems... ie, your slightly "bloated" face.

Felk

Reaction score
I think your mind might be playing tricks on you.

Im not saying there is no problem, but you might be perceiving it to be worse than it is due to the old "looking for side effects" syndrome.

Because i have so much respect for the power of the mind, ive taken some steps. On beginning finasteride i weighed myself and took some measurements of my body in case I became paranoid about putting on weight, took pictures of my hair to judge progress/fear of "shedding" and have plenty of photos of my face in case i believe it becomes bloated.

I suggest finding a photo which is taken in a place you can easily re-access, and take another photo of your face and compare the two. The different might just be negligable.

I dont think anyone here knows enough about exact effects of estrogen levels, test levels, etc from taking different 5AR inhibitors, to give you solid advice. Plus everyone is different anyway.

I'd say stick with some treatments for a while longer and see what happens- otherwise you never know whats working/causing side effects. You have some awesome treatments stax, probably the best regimen here, but you keep changing/adding to them, so it must be so confusing!

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i appreciate the advice, but what you guys said isnt the case. I'll explain........

I just turned 22 years old, your face doesnt just start getting puffy and fatter for no reason. Mabye when you go through andropause when your over 40, and usually from what ive seen they gain weight aswell, so they gain weight in the face.

before these treatments my face never looked like this at all! This is 100% gauranteed. No mind tricks at all. I just compared photo's from me when i first started minoxidil for only 1 month, this was Christmas 2004, so 1 and a half years ago. My face was lean. I was always naturally ripped, good genetics for muscle at least. I was applying minoxidil to a "dry" scalp. I wasnt on finasteride at all at the time. No problems.

Then i started finasteride, and started applying minoxidil to a "hydrated" scalp. Then months later i was wondering what the hell was going on with my face as its started looking more round and puffy. Then down the road i stopped both finasteride and minoxidil for like 7-10 days, and my face was looking better. Then i continued with my regimen and started to notice the same sh*t.

About 4 months ago i took almost a 3 month break from finasteride, and still applied minoxidil, and my face def looked better, more lean. Thats how im naturally supposed to be. And i wasnt on a special diet either.

Then about 6 weeks ago, i tried dutasteride for 21 days, and was on Aromasin to try to deal with the estrogen increase. My face was looking very bloated or round again. I stopped dutasteride, and like 3 weeks later my face was still puffy, or i gained some fat there. mabye Dutasterides long half life?

I started RU one month ago, and i think it might be absorbing systematically, and possibly be contributing to this puffy/fat face. My sex drive hasnt changed, but i dont know if it has an effect where it puffs up my face like minoxidil.

I also eat carbs and stuff, but i never had a problem before, and possible because of the anti-androgen effects of these drugs, they allowed me to gain weight easier?

Im trying to get some REAL help here, its not in my mind or anything like that, please understand that!

So please, my question still stands, is there anyway i can keep my original looks, lean face,ect, while on finasteride, dutasteride, Minoxidil,ect? If i go on the "Zone Diet" or something and get really, really, ripped, will i still have this puffy/fat face problem? or am i doomed as long as DHT is being reduced, and estrogen increased as a result? Why the hell do i have to have this problem trying to keep my hair? To be honest losing hair is just as bad as having this puffy/fat,face, because it destroys your looks just like hairloss. Picture Tom Cuise bald, or will a fatter, puffy face. he wont look so hot anymore.

Im not giving up on this. Is there an answer? Please help! I need an expert or something!

tembo

Established Member
Reaction score
I definitely got fat face on dutasteride and then quit the drug and the fat face came back to almost its original size.

I think some people have a tendency to gain fat in certain parts of their body first, and dutasteride can exacerbate this. Some people get fat in their stomachs, yet maintain a narrow face -- so dutasteride will probably not make their face fatter.

stax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tembo, so you quit and now your face is back to normal? I look fucked up like this, its not how i naturally look when i dont play with my hormones. This sucks.

So if i really dropped my body fat to like 7%, would i still have this problem on finasteride or dutasteride?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
tembo, so you quit and now your face is back to normal? I look fucked up like this, its not how i naturally look when i dont play with my hormones. This sucks.

So if i really dropped my body fat to like 7%, would i still have this problem on finasteride or dutasteride?
I was told My face was rounder on dutasteride alone.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im experiencing this bloated/fat face issue, i was taking minoxidil and finasteride for over 1 year, and currently re-trying dutasteride as of 5 days ago. I dont know if this is due to the minoxidil or the dutasteride, but i have a feeling its both. Im pretty lean and when i stand up i can see more than 70% of my six pack, it seems like if i lost 10 pounds it would be 100% showing. Anyways, im not sure if its face fat or water retention. I never had this problem before. I tried some Aromasin while on dutasteride in the past and it mad my bloat worse.

So my question is, if i continue to take dutasteride my estrogen levels are probabbly going to go up about 25% (i think) along with testosterone. Im taking Flax Lignan and Green tea Extract to try and regulate estrogen as much as possible while on dutasteride. If i go on a strict diet and shed 10-15 pounds, will my face be chisled like it used to? Its weird because im 160 and ive been 160 for years, and my face was chisled before i started this minoxidil/Propecia/Dutasteride, crap. So what gives? What is the REAL SOLUTION? Could this puffy/fat, round, face be due to insulin resistance, due to simple carbs, sugars,ect?

PLEASE HELP!!!
Finasteride and Dutasteride increase Estrogen. We have a natural finasteride and dutasteride in our body named Progesterone. But progesterone is , beside an alpha reductase inhibitor, an aromatase inhibition. Progesterone get really low, specially if you are on Dutasteride, so your estrogen increase. Estrogen can cause that kind of side effects, do a blood test.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
People told me same when I was on finasteride. I looked boyish/younger and more feminine. I guess it was from elevated estrogen levels.

People told me same when I was on finasteride. I looked boyish/younger and more feminine. I guess it was from elevated estrogen levels.
Good im bisexuall then. Gonna stick to men only.y

My dad Said I dont look as handsome anymore because of My rounder More puffy face. But I Care about My hair more just abit more. But it sux. At least I quit dutasteride that raises estrogen way more than finasteride. Finasteride only raises it by 15% and dutasteride i think like 25 to 30%

norwood_spotter

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride and Dutasteride increase Estrogen. We have a natural finasteride and dutasteride in our body named Progesterone. But progesterone is , beside an alpha reductase inhibitor, an aromatase inhibition. Progesterone get really low, specially if you are on Dutasteride, so your estrogen increase. Estrogen can cause that kind of side effects, do a blood test.
why cant we takr progesteron as anti hairloss med then?

abcdefg

Reaction score
Finasteride for sure for some people really has some sides people dont talk about. I was taking a tiny amount .14 or less and all kinds of side effects at about 4-5 months in. It really had nasty effects on my skin.
It was really bad. I got white scaly patches all over my face around the eyes, and family asking me if I got punched in the face lol. I swear to god my face was black and blue all under my eyes as if someone punched me. It was insane I could never imagine why it would do that. I had to stop never seen anyone ever mention that. On my third try someone asked why I had a red rash all over my face. Guess what it was? Went away after I quit again
No doubt about it for me it cause me all kinds of issues. Chest pain at the nipples? Check. Face rashes skin issues? Check. Sexual sides? Yes, but not terrible. I also feel it caused back pains but IDK that for sure could have been a placebo thing.

I desperately wanted it to work. I tried 3 times and thought maybe its in my head. Maybe it will vanish next time. Happened every time.
Anyways can it cause a bloated face? Id vote yes, and how it effects the skin is obviously poorly understood.
I dont doubt for someone people it causes no noticeable sides, but I think it has effects we dont know about

I did nothing for a while after this, but now am trying finasteride topical. No other choice. lol

Last edited:

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride for sure for some people really has some sides people dont talk about. I was taking a tiny amount .14 or less and all kinds of side effects at about 4-5 months in. It really had nasty effects on my skin.
It was really bad. I got white scaly patches all over my face around the eyes, and family asking me if I got punched in the face lol. I swear to god my face was black and blue all under my eyes as if someone punched me. It was insane I could never imagine why it would do that. I had to stop never seen anyone ever mention that.
It all vanished after I quit though pretty quick a few weeks id say. No doubt about it for me it cause me all kinds of issues. Chest pain at the nipples? Check. Face rashes skin issues? Check. Sexual sides? Yes, but not terrible. I also feel it cause back pains.
IDK IMO for some people its got a lot of sides we dont get yet.

I desperately wanted it to work. I tried 3 times and thought maybe its in my head. Maybe it will vanish next time. Happened every time.
Anyways can it cause a bloated face? Id vote yes, and how it effects the skin is obviously poorly understood.
I had dry eyes on finasteride also gave it 3 chances but i had to quit it entirely. Also had eye issues on naturall dht blockers eventually quit that. Then i used dutasteride No eye issues and then used finasteride again and no eye issues it was INSANE i was shocked to say the least. Somehow My Body adapted to dht blockers over the years and My eyes no longer were dry or blurred vision.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I dont doubt it could effect your eyes somehow. I had no issues there just skin mostly on my face not really anywhere else. Topical finasteride is my only last hope now, but its a pain in the *** to use. Id take the pill in a heart beat if I could have soooo much simpler. Plus the topical gets all over your hair, you cant get it everywhere evenly or consistently. It sucks
Its no wonder men choose propecia as a pill vs topical.

Last edited: