If DHT is the problem, why are teenagers not balding?

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got to a full-on Norwood 3 by the time I was 17.

I WAS 17 HERE!!

View attachment 169760

I then hopped on the big three a few months after that pic was taken. Somewhere around late 2017.

This is how my hair currently looks, and I am forever grateful. Ofc, I will never get to baseline, but it's better than nothing.

View attachment 169762
View attachment 169763

The point is, there is always going to be that one genetic outlier who is blessed with the slaphead curse. But I am forever grateful for the results, and I always tell people to stay positive in light of these shitty circumstances, as corny as it may sound.
Sucks man, I know how it feels (I’ve been basically NW3 with thinning since 17, I’m almost 20 now). I hope treatment can help me maintain for a long time and hopefully thicken the hair up a bit (plz). You seem to have had good results, congrats.

Yeah, it could have been worse, I’ve heard stories of people being NW5+ at 16-17. That must be the stuff of nightmares.

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Title there.
Teenagers have the most dht. Why arent they balding?

Some even bald prior to puberty. I'll dig around for the study..

There are also myotonic dystrophy patients who bald like in an Androgenetic Alopecia fashion yet are basically hypogonadal.

Some babies are born with lots of hair like Norwood 0 and some are Norwood 8's.

Not everything can be blamed on androgens.

Last edited:

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Title there.
Teenagers have the most dht. Why arent they balding?
Many do . I do . But yes, there is a question, If you have baldness genes , why everybody don't start to bald in their teens years when they have more males hormones levels. It could be simple genetic, like there are many variants of Androgenetic alopecia with different genes involves or could be simple other hormones. For example, if you have good progesterone levels, your DHT and your estrogens will be on balance. If you have low progesterone levels, your estrogens and DHT both will be high . In fact, there almost no studies on progesterone in males , we only know that with age it decrease and so DHT and estrogen levels increase, even when Testosterone also decrease .

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some even bald prior to puberty. I'll dig around for the study..

There are also myotonic dystrophy patients who bald like in an Androgenetic Alopecia fashion yet are basically hypogonadal.

Not everything can be blamed on androgens.
Yes, I started at 17th , but it can start even before 14 .

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As a teenager you have much higher antioxidants levels in your body, more growth factor, more antifibrotic agents, your body is much more in the antiinflammatory state than when you grow up and probably the most important in my opinion is still having hair stem cells, they are getting fucked since puberty but to a much lesser degree when you are younger then after years of being attacked by dht you no longer have hair stem cells and you are bolder.

I'm not trying to call you out, but if memory serves, Androgenetic Alopecia still have the viable bulge stem cells and something is stopping the signal from dermal papilla to the stem cells.

Balding Boulder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think baldness starts far earlier than we realise. I read that it takes roughly 50% of our hair to fall out before we start noticing it.

There are more teenagers balding than you think. It’s just we don’t pick up on it because (most of the time) their hair loss is so minimal.

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I got to a full-on Norwood 3 by the time I was 17.

I WAS 17 HERE!!

View attachment 169760

I then hopped on the big three a few months after that pic was taken. Somewhere around late 2017.

This is how my hair currently looks, and I am forever grateful. Ofc, I will never get to baseline, but it's better than nothing.

View attachment 169762
View attachment 169763

The point is, there is always going to be that one genetic outlier who is blessed with the slaphead curse. But I am forever grateful for the results, and I always tell people to stay positive in light of these shitty circumstances, as corny as it may sound.
Crazy good results. What brand of generic finasteride do you use?

Lutherpick

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any sides?
I haven't experienced any sides during my 3-4 years on Finasteride. Of course, my sex drive would go up and down from time to time depending on the stress factors. I did, however, notice my libido dropping after starting Dutasteride. But I think that has to do with the fact that I'm on an aggressive cut; not to mention I've been going through a lot of stress due to my studies. Very had to tell, tbh...