Idomethacin as a Hair Loss Treatment?

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Still waiting to see more than 1 positive report of regrowth from Indometacin. On another forum people also trying Voltaren and Ibuprofen (NSAIDs). If any of these work we should see more than 1 person with some type of regrowth after a period of time.

Reaction score
It ain't bull and you guys are not the only ones following / using Indomethacin results. There are other forums and other users who are reporting reduced to no shedding.

The Iron-Dragon product (Indomethacin+cromoglycate) seems to be working fine so far, or at least that's what people say. Those using that formula report it has completely stopped their hair loss, although none of them seems to be getting any regrowth yet.

I am one of them...will wait for another few weeks before an update as the hair growth seems to slow down a bit but the hairs are definitely darker/healthier..

Are you using the Iron-Dragon product too?, What else is part of your treatment?

ifeelgood

Reaction score
The Iron-Dragon product (Indomethacin+cromoglycate) seems to be working fine so far, or at least that's what people say. Those using that formula report it has completely stopped their hair loss, although none of them seems to be getting any regrowth yet.

Are you using the Iron-Dragon product too?, What else is part of your treatment?

Yes I am using only their Indo + Cromo combo. Now, I am searching for products that will stimulate hair growth (akin to minoxidil). But yes, the Indo + cromo combination has stopped my shedding of more than 5 years. Being on or off medicines made no difference, I would shed hair everyday (top/sides)...so I know what I'm talking about when I say no shedding now.

With regards to Iron dragon, I don't promote their products. If anything their customer service is poor (order placement to delivery no complaints though) and offer no advice whatsoever on their products.
If anyone is aware of sites selling PGD2 blockers and growth stimlulants (other than minoxidil) please post here. thanks,

Conpecia

Reaction score
I have the same question as ohmanohno, $75 for 1 month is a no-go, but for 3 months is a good deal...

cloud952

Reaction score
I have the same question as ohmanohno, $75 for 1 month is a no-go, but for 3 months is a good deal...

If you havent been to the Spanish site latly you may want to go check it out . They have not had any regrowth using Indomethacin . Their is only one person who got results and thats the picture posted on hairlosshp and I mean nobody. Maney calling it a scam . So heads up to anyone that's going to spend money to get some .

Conpecia

Reaction score
I've heard from many sources that indo stops shedding. That in itself is valuable to me, regardless of regrowth.

Donc83

Established Member
Reaction score
I read that chronic indomethacin intake can lead to serious heart issues. Could this happen from a topical?

Conpecia

Reaction score
Will you link to that study Donc83? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

where's the buzz?
Check out a thread called "Ramatroban Results" on hairsite. Lots of guys in that thread say that indo/chromo has stopped their hairloss completely.

Reaction score
Let me warn you from my experience with Indomethacin. I have neck issues and took that crap for about a year. Indomethacin is a rather obscure, and rarely prescribed NSAID due to the high risk associated with it. It is an Immune system suppressant and has been shown to damage bone marrow irreparably. In fact, I got the worst case of Bronchitis of my life while on that junk. Stay away from it. The fact we risk growing man boobs to keep our hair is bad enough but do not screw with your bone marrow. That is the kind of mistake that wrecks your health permanently.

Ginkosama

Reaction score
You posted a study from 1982. Try posting a relatively current study focusing on humans.http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/guidetocancerdrugs/indomethacin

Like the one that doesn't appear in the link you gave ?

Here is aspirin possible side effects :
Nervous system
Central nervous system side effects have included agitation, cerebral edema, coma, confusion, dizziness, headache, cranial hemorrhage, lethargy and seizures. Tinnitus and subjective hearing loss (or both) may occur

Whew, aspirin is a hell of a drug after all.

I don't discard your story, but please understand that Indo's safety profile is even better than more mainstream NSAIDs. Plus it is applied topically, which reduces the systemic absorption by a great deal. What happened to you is a rare occurence.

Reaction score
I did not mean to post a link to a specific study, but to the American Cancer Society page on Indomethacin. On that list, rare side effects are listed, one of which is bone marrow suppression. Yes I realize that rare is rare. I also happen to be a Leukemia survivor, which is itself a Bone marrow cancer, putting me at increased risk of experiencing that particular side effect in the first place.

I get your point that even Aspirin can be dangerous in some cases but I tend to think of worst case scenarios when establishing a threshold for what I can and can't allow myself to take. I was taking Indomethacin orally, not topically. I actually flushed my last bottle down the toilet. I now have Topical Volatren Gel that I use for neck pain when needed. It does not work as well but some times helps.

As for Indomethacin being applicable as a hair loss treatment, is the theory that reducing inflamation in the scalp increases blood flow therefore providing nourishment for the hair follicle?

Like the one that doesn't appear in the link you gave ?

Here is aspirin possible side effects :
Nervous system
Central nervous system side effects have included agitation, cerebral edema, coma, confusion, dizziness, headache, cranial hemorrhage, lethargy and seizures. Tinnitus and subjective hearing loss (or both) may occur

Whew, aspirin is a hell of a drug after all.

I don't discard your story, but please understand that Indo's safety profile is even better than more mainstream NSAIDs. Plus it is applied topically, which reduces the systemic absorption by a great deal. What happened to you is a rare occurence.

IDW2BB

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23485965
To maintain lifelong production of blood cells, haematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) are tightly regulated by inherent programs and extrinsic regulatory signals received from their microenvironmental niche. Long-term repopulating HSCs reside in several, perhaps overlapping, niches that produce regulatory molecules and signals necessary for homeostasis and for increased output after stress or injury. Despite considerable advances in the specific cellular or molecular mechanisms governing HSC-niche interactions, little is known about the regulatory function in the intact mammalian haematopoietic niche. Recently, we and others described a positive regulatory role for prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) on HSC function ex vivo. Here we show that inhibition of endogenous PGE2 by non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) treatment in mice results in modest HSC egress from the bone marrow. Surprisingly, this was independent of the SDF-1-CXCR4 axis implicated in stem-cell migration. Stem and progenitor cells were found to have differing mechanisms of egress, with HSC transit to the periphery dependent on niche attenuation and reduction in the retentive molecule osteopontin. Haematopoietic grafts mobilized with NSAIDs had superior repopulating ability and long-term engraftment. Treatment of non-human primates and healthy human volunteers confirmed NSAID-mediated egress in other species. PGE2 receptor knockout mice demonstrated that progenitor expansion and stem/progenitor egress resulted from reduced E-prostanoid 4 (EP4) receptor signalling. These results not only uncover unique regulatory roles for EP4 signalling in HSC retention in the niche, but also define a rapidly translatable strategy to enhance transplantation therapeutically.

- - - Updated - - -

I have no idea if rubbing NSAIDs on your head will work, but it seems there is a possibility that they could be of some help combined with other treatments regarding stem cells.http://www.orthohealing.com/2013/06/17/nature-international-weekly-journal-of-science-increase-in-stem-cells-with-the-use-of-anti-inflammatory-medication/
Recent research from Indiana University School of Medicine shows a positive correlation between NSAIDs (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) use and a boost in stem cells. Traditionally, NSAIDs are restricted prior to procedures such as Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection. However, this research suggests that a limited course of Meloxicam (NSAIDs) may increase stem cell count in PRP. Before this is recommended on a regular basis, more data is needed. Researchers first studied the mice model. They injected mice with both, the stem cells and with Meloxicam. Increases in stem cell counts along with the long-term viability of the cells were witnessed. Next, the researchers treated 4 non-human primates (baboons) and found a boost in stem cells. Lastly, healthy human volunteers were treated with Meloxicam and significant increase in stem cells was observed. This is an important concept that could change cancer treatment protocols. This could potentially enhance procedures such as PRP Platelet Rich Plasma. We spoke with the leading scientist regarding patients that were on chronic (long-term) NSAIDs, This research is the first step in developing more advanced protocols for the future. Long term use of these medications have been associated with severe side effects including stomach bleeding and ulcers. More trials are needed to clarify if they have a role in regenerative injection procedures. - See more at: http://www.orthohealing.com/2013/06/17/nature-international-weekly-journal-of-science-increase-in-stem-cells-with-the-use-of-anti-inflammatory-medication/#sthash.7SH2ZdQO.dpuf