Ideal size and shape for bald patch

roastedgarlic

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using a hair system for a few months now. I have always used a skin system and the first time I got it done, the stylist just cleaned out a oval shaped area in my head a d put the system on
Turns out its 5x7 which is actually quite small compared to the Standard sizes being sold on websites. I want to move to a lace with ploy perimeter system for the summer, wondering if it's a good idea to cut more into my real hair to fit a size 8x10

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a relatively small width of balding on top and started off by making my hair systems cover that area. Later I ended up making the base and area I shave a bit wider (to around 6 or 7 inches) and a tiny bit longer (about 7.25 inches) and it looks better - I cut off more of my bio hair. It depends on what style and length of hair you're going for. A smaller shaved area can work fine. I wear my hair longer (around 10 to 12 inches), and I just feel it works better to cut off more of my bio hair. That and the hair system hair is better quality than my bio hair (especially so with longer hair, not so important if you shave the back and sides to short length). I still keep the back and the sides (including temples) of my bio hair, and shave the area above that. The hair system fits great and blends better with my back and sides than when I shaved a smaller area. But really you just have to experiment and see what works best for you. You could always try a bigger base size/shaved area and see what it looks like - if you don't like it, you can grow that bio hair back and go back to a smaller base in the future. I'd recommend keeping your own temples and back, though.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some systems are premade to be 6"x8" or 7"x 9". The bigger Telogen Effluvium system, the more likely it is that a premade won't fit your head shape, and it is harder to attach.

And even if you do have a standard head shape, many reputable companies will cut the full-sized system down to fit your exact measurements.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There is no idea size / shape beyond a strip piece which can be difficult to bond for any length of time
I would only shave poor quality wispy hair and not good healthy looking hair and try and keep it relatively symmetrical on the sides.
Personally, I wouldn't be shaving inches of good hair to fit a piece.
You can either prepare a template or give measurements or cut in standard sized piece - either way, there is no way around it.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with Hair2019 and BaldBearded.

My bald area is kind of hourglass-shaped, and I started off wearing pieces in that shape.

At one point I started wearing an 'ombre' color on top, which is dark roots and lighter ends with a gradient in between. With shorter back and sides in my natural color less than the length of the root color on top. I found that it was a huge pain in the neck to maintain the ombre color on the sections of my growing hair that remained on top, and decided to shave off the entire top section of my hairstyle and go with a more standard base shape.

It turned out to be more forgiving this way, because differences in the hair texture and luster between my own hair and the piece are less obvious if the two are different lengths. And also, if the base is a regular, symmetrical shape, any disparities look more like part of the haircut. So that's what i do with all my pieces now.

However, BaldBearded is right that the larger the base, the worse the fit is going to be unless the base is custom made to fit the curvature of your head.