Ian Curtis's Story -** UPDATE 09/05/2009**

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
UPDATE 09/05/2009 NEXT PAGE!!!!!

Hello all.

Update! 12 July 2008

My Hairloss : male pattern baldness with receding temples and thinning over NW4 NW5 area. Seborrheic Dermatitis on top( flaking oily patches that can be removed and come with hairs attached)

Current status: NW2( NW2.5 ?) bare in mind I have a natural high forehead
Going through shed on past weeks, noticed near hairline has thinned from shedding.
Top near vertex seems to have become thicker over time as well as hairline and frontal area slightly a bit more hair.
Seb Derm. doesnt help at all at regrowing hair as ot makes it fall a bit.

Medication:
- 5 mg of Finasteride since 9 Sept 2007 (not sure)
- Minoxidil liquid 5% once a day on hairline since February 2008 (only once a day because leaves greasy skin and residue all over) ,I dont use it anymore.
- Rogaine Foam since 1 July 2008 twice a day
- Nizoral 2% twice or sometimes thrice a week since Dec 2007 (?) stopped around May 2008 bcuz it sux and leaves my scalp dry.
-KPL shampoo with ketoconazole and other ingredients, softer than nizoral since May.( not so harsh on scalp, helps control Seb. Derm.)

Blood tests:Tested 30 Jun 2008
Liver function normal.
DHEA 261 ug /dl normal levels 80-560
Androstenedione 4.6 ng/dl normal 1.6-3.3
Testosterone total 818 ng/dl normal 131-813 Result 22/6/2007 618

Increase in 30% of T

Im worried bcuz my mom resents perscribing me finasteride, I hope she doesnt stop.
If I forgot to mention anything Ill put it later.

Pics:
Left side Dec 2007, right side are from today.
The light doesnt help at understanding the degree of growth/loss but it seems that Ive thickened a bit on the front and top.
I have pics with very bright light and some with moderate light, you guys can tell them apart.
Opinions, insults, whatever...post your comments :) .

[attachment=0:396oqwfr]total.JPG[/attachment:396oqwfr]

Attachments

• total.JPG
    total.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 5,517

MSU4life

Reaction score
Re: On finasteride (Pics inside,age 18),need advice...

Being on 5mg's isn't going to benefit your hair much more (if any) over the standard dosage. On the other hand it will greatly increase your chance of side effects.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score

how long have ou beeon on 5mg? Its not bad if you have no sides. and yes, id jump on minoxidil if i were you, itl help with regrowth

30_going_on_60

Established Member
Reaction score

hey buddy. That's a sad story. All I can say is that I went through the same thing. I started rapidly losing my hair at 19, the same year I started University. It was tough, since almost everyone goes through at least their early 20's before having to even worry about hairloss. I was in high school. A lot of people on here might tell you to get onto the big 3. That is some good advice as its helped a lot of people out. However, I'm going to be brutally honest, it looks as if you're in for a rough ride. From those pic's its already pretty noticeable.
I'll try and give you the best, most honest advice that I can. Use the meds, try to do somethign about it, BUT at the same time, accept yourself and the way you look. I'm only saying this because I went through the same thing. I really don;t want to come across as an a$$. I DO however want to stop people from making the same mistake I did. And that is to not waste the best years of your life. Do what you can, but aside from that, it's completely out of your control. Have a blast...go out and party. Try not to think about it. I don't want to discourage anyone from any hope, just to disourage anyone as young as you from letting this ruin your life. It really doesn;t have to. Good luck with everything.

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score

:bravo: 5mg!

I believe most of the people here take less than 1mg due to the sides...and you're 5mg.
GL bro...

RaginDemon

Reaction score

the marginal return of taking 5ml is really not worth the risk of getting sides.

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score

To me it looks like you are thinning in the back as well, possible all over NW6 area (like me :( )

RaginDemon

Reaction score

I believe he is thinning at the back as well, his male pattern baldness is rather aggresive given that he lost quite a bit of hair in one year period.

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score

Thank you all for the advice and the support, I am thinking on taking the big 3, but isnt minoxidil just for back scalp hair loss, and doesnt it increase frontal hairloss?

One thing no one seems to know is why we lose hair only on those areas, there must be a purpose,otherwise we'd lose all over.

I'll try to keep the pics updated.(there are more guys like me in this situation with my age...I think that hairloss is pretty common here in Portugal)
About using the finasteride 5 mg, I have no side effects,my sexual performance is normal, but maybe if I keep taking it for 1 or 2 years...I dunno....I probably should cut the pill but a lot of ppl say that the finasteride is not equally distributed.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

Ian Curtis said:
Thank you all for the advice and the support, I am thinking on taking the big 3, but isnt minoxidil just for back scalp hair loss, and doesnt it increase frontal hairloss?

One thing no one seems to know is why we lose hair only on those areas, there must be a purpose,otherwise we'd lose all over.

I'll try to keep the pics updated.(there are more guys like me in this situation with my age...I think that hairloss is pretty common here in Portugal)
About using the finasteride 5 mg, I have no side effects,my sexual performance is normal, but maybe if I keep taking it for 1 or 2 years...I dunno....I probably should cut the pill but a lot of ppl say that the finasteride is not equally distributed.

minoxidil won't increase your hair loss, I know many users including myself have experienced sheddings, we must understand the hair we shed during the minoxidil application is the hair that has already been damaged by DHT, so to answer your question, it will not increase frontal hair loss.

GL on your treatment brother.

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Ian Curtis's story - (Pics inside,age 18 and on finasteride)

Thanks for the opinions, really helpful.

wotsthedeal

Reaction score

I don't think your hair looks that bad at all. In public, most people probably would not think of you as balding. Those last two pictures especially look pretty good.

If all this loss has happened in one year, then yes, it might be pretty aggressive male pattern baldness, but as of now your hair doesn't seem that bad.

Naltima

Established Member
Reaction score

Your hair looks much much thicker, especially in the second pic. Maybe I need to up my finasteride dosage, since I have pretty much the same hairline as you.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

seems to be an improvement! :)

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score

UPDATE 09/05/2009

Took some new pictures today, the last update was in july 2008.
I have been taking finasteride 2.5mg a day with exception for a month, which i took only 1mg.
I think it has now been 19 months since I started taking finasteride. I have been applying irregularly minoxidil on my hairline and temples, but for some 4 or 5 months I applied consistently the foam with very little results. :thumbdown2:
I am now applying foam in the morning and liquid 5% before sleep.
I wash my hair every morning with this shampoo pattern:
Today- KPL
Tomorrow- Ecophane
The next day- Klorane hair loss shampoo

I really like these shampoos, however I dont think klorane is really worth the money. KPL is similar to nizoral but it is less harsh, it takes care of my seb derm which is now not so noticeable but it is still there :thumbdown2:

Here come the pics
I think I have maintained pretty well but lets hear your opinions! :)

[attachment=6:tyfailjf]Imagem 001_320x240.jpg[/attachment:tyfailjf]
[attachment=5:tyfailjf]Imagem 002_320x240.jpg[/attachment:tyfailjf]
[attachment=4:tyfailjf]Imagem 003_320x240.jpg[/attachment:tyfailjf]
[attachment=3:tyfailjf]Imagem 004_320x240.jpg[/attachment:tyfailjf]
[attachment=2:tyfailjf]Imagem 005_320x240.jpg[/attachment:tyfailjf]
[attachment=1:tyfailjf]Imagem 006_320x240.jpg[/attachment:tyfailjf]
[attachment=0:tyfailjf]Imagem 007_320x240.jpg[/attachment:tyfailjf]

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Imagem 001_320x240.jpg
    Imagem 001_320x240.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,105
  • Imagem 002_320x240.jpg
    Imagem 002_320x240.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,116
  • Imagem 003_320x240.jpg
    Imagem 003_320x240.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,100
  • Imagem 004_320x240.jpg
    Imagem 004_320x240.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,120
  • Imagem 005_320x240.jpg
    Imagem 005_320x240.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,116
  • Imagem 006_320x240.jpg
    Imagem 006_320x240.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1,125
  • Imagem 007_320x240.jpg
    Imagem 007_320x240.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,112

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score

i think the area behind the centre of your hairline has thinned out a bit more but in general not that much of a change.

IBM

Reaction score

I used Ecophan for three years. Now the hypermarket doesnt have Ecophan so i started last week Klorane for hairloss. Seems to me a good shampoo.